Jacket BCD versus Backplate Wing BCD

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Postby bigtank » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:12 pm

if wings wer great god wouldve given them too us when we wer created, but he didnt he evented jackets to keep us warma nd stable!! hahahah
Bubbles and more bubbles creates underwater bliss!!!
bigtank

Postby bigtank » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:13 pm

Maybe i should try some libra they have wings!!! or red bull!!
bigtank

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:15 pm

Azza wrote:I too believe that whatever people find comfortable is what they should dive. I have never forced any piece of kit on anyone, including my wife, yet I believe divers should at least have the OPTION to try a plate. I prefer people to come to their own conclusions and don't care what they dive, as long as they are safe and comfortable.

I agree entirely, Azza. Apologies if my dogmatism comments offended, but it can appear that people are a little fervent at times.

Not as bad as Scubaboard, mind you! :lol:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Flipper » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:17 pm

Who needs these fancy BP/Ws & BCDs - they're the work of the devil! :wink:

Bring back ABLJ's!!!

(did my first diving pool sessions in one of these horse collars! :shock: )
Flipper

Postby Azza » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:17 pm

Andy wrote:Apologies if my dogmatism comments offended, but it can appear that people are a little fervent at times.
Oh no offense taken...I was just puzzled
Azza

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:21 pm

Flipper wrote:Who needs these fancy BP/Ws & BCDs - they're the work of the devil! :wink:

Man, I'm with you.

I might even start wearing a snorkel on the right hand side in order to fully reject modern convention....

Take the wet/drysuit out of the equation and we wouldn't need a BC at all. Hmmmm....
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby MuscleBob.Buffpants » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:23 pm

bigtank wrote:I think and these are my veiws and some others that a BP/W is an over kill for someone diving single tank.. and may only dive a few times in the year , the other con is that for someon wanting to do tropical dives, again is and over kill where as a small jacket or back inflate would fold up nice an snug,,

I have taken my BP/W tropical diving and it packed up smaller than any BCD I have ever seen and thats with a 30lb wing. I could have picked up a 17lb wing which would have been even smaller.

The wing comes off and can be rolled up. The cambands came off the plate and were rolled up and stored separately. The harness and plate were then placed in the bottom of the suitcase with the harness tucked up nice under the plate.

Diving a full 3mm wetsuit I had 6lbs on my weight belt.

Overkill, no, I don't agree with that. Overkill is a Dacor Rig II with 13 plus d rings and enough padding to float a battleship. Overkill is weight integration - what purpose does it really serve to stick all your weight into pockets? All those weight integration pockets seem to do is increase the size of the BCD. More fabric = more buoyancy = more weight = larger weight integration pockets = more fabric...

A BP/W is the exact opposite of that - it is a minimalist approach to diving.
"Oh, Bother" said Pooh as he chambered another round.
MuscleBob.Buffpants

Postby plumb bob » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:25 pm

Hey bigtank, your avoiding the questions then countering with further assertations rendering this not a forum of discussion but one of unfounded and unqualified statement..... please answer the questions of your opinion. :?

Rob
plumb bob
Banned

Postby Flipper » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:31 pm

But seriously, in the day, the ABLJ was the defacto piece of kit. They certainly kept your head above water! ...and when the BCD (or Stab Jacket) came along, similar discussions to the one were having today were commonplace.

I believe the BCD will be in diving for quite some time and won't demise quite as quick as the ABLJ, but just because it's currently 'the norm' (according to certain training agencies & retailers) doesn't mean it will remain so. The difference between a rear inflation BCD and a BP/W isn't huge - it's just that the BP/W is modular, and hence to my mind, massively more useful, configurable, repairable, and also easier to spot if there's a problem with it.

Must say though, I do love some of the features appearing on BCDs now. Like the little johnny-jet-pack leaver - lift up to add air and go up; push down to release air and sink. Stunningly pointless :wink:
Flipper

Postby bigtank » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:31 pm

i dont need to justify my statements,, i just think this is funny, and tonite ill go home an tell my kids,!!!! theyll say,, "telly tubby" ,, freedom of speech with out justification, after all no one is right and no one is wrong,
what ever works for the individual that is what is best,

now do some work you lot
bigtank

Postby Azza » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:33 pm

bigtank wrote:i dont need to justify my statements,,
You do if you want anyone to listen to you....
Azza

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:44 pm

MuscleBob.Buffpants wrote:
Overkill is weight integration - what purpose does it really serve to stick all your weight into pockets? All those weight integration pockets seem to do is increase the size of the BCD. More fabric = more buoyancy = more weight = larger weight integration pockets = more fabric...

A BP/W is the exact opposite of that - it is a minimalist approach to diving.

Hey there Musclebob, sorry - have to take an issue on this one.
I dive a weight intergrated BCD currently, and whilst not a great supporter of them in general would hate to dive a BCD now that doesn't have weight intergration. The additional pockets for the weights really don't make the BCD more bouyant and in my case the weight intergration is essential.

Ask Azza what my buoyancy was like when I used a weightbelt and intergration (feet down, head up, very frustrating) to what it was when we shifted some of the weight around - no weightbelt, some in the lower pockets and some in the non-dump pockets higher up. Miles better.

I don't mind admitting to wanting to switch systems (money not allowing that right now though!) but it won't have anything to do with weightintergration - as I now hate weightbelts I will also be making careful choices in terms of weight intergration on any BP/W system!
Probably the best dive club in the World... www.sods.co.nz
Buck Rogers

Postby Packhorse » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:47 pm

bigtank wrote:i dont need to justify my statements,

I hope thats not your attatudue when you do courses.
Packhorse

Postby plumb bob » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:55 pm

bigtank wrote:i dont need to justify my statements,, i just think this is funny, and tonite ill go home an tell my kids,!!!! theyll say,, "telly tubby" ,, freedom of speech with out justification, after all no one is right and no one is wrong,

now do some work you lot

Very true you don't, but if you want to say something for a reason other than seeing your own voice (hmm dunno if that works..) you'd better back up what you say to lend a little veracity to your claims.

But of course if you wish to concede that you are merely pecking at the keyboard in the random manner of a chicken then... :lol:

Rob
plumb bob
Banned

Postby Hybrid » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:59 pm

bigtank wrote:i dont need to justify my statements,, i just think this is funny, and tonite ill go home an tell my kids,!!!! theyll say,, "telly tubby" ,, freedom of speech with out justification, after all no one is right and no one is wrong,

now do some work you lot

We're all here to learn and discuss this. If anything is stated here, the person should be able to explain it. Just saying something without justifying it will lead to a lot of questions asked as everyone tries to understand why it was said.
Hybrid

PreviousNext

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs