Jacket BCD versus Backplate Wing BCD

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Postby Packhorse » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:13 pm

bigtank wrote:This seems to be going on and on!!!! This stops here!!!!
If wings are so damm good then why dont shops have them in their hire and training gear , world wide????? mmmmm

end of topicc,,

time for eggs on toast

Good question. I dont have an answer. Probably the profit of selling a diver 2 or 3 BCs as upgrades instead of just 1 BP/W. From my experiance most people who try BP/W prefer them. Its that simple. You on the other hand have tryed one once and it sounds like it was not setup correct and now you rubish them. Which means your students now dont get a well informed opinion. Their loss. I really think you should come to our gear night and try one set up properly. You may learn a thing or two if you come with a open mind.
Packhorse

Postby Hybrid » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:41 pm

I've found people like them too. I went 4 a dive with a newbie diver, and I didn't say anything about the BP/W and he wasn't experienced enough to know any different. I just gave it him and asked if it was a good fit, it did, so we went diving. Afterwards, he was very interested in the BP/W saying that so really nice to dive with..etc.etc..I explained the system etc...I think he's hooked. He had never seen one before, so didn't know about the system.

I think this is the case with most dives in NZ.

A great thing about the setup is grows with your diving experince. If u only ever dive for crays and scallops, then it'll be fine. But if and want to dive twinsets and stage etc...it can do that too.
Hybrid

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:54 pm

Azza wrote:Do you think someone here is getting dogmatic about something?

Maybe a teeny bit. But it could be interpreted more than that by people who don't know us.

I also specialize in teaching Buoyancy course/clinics and have found my students have far more success in a backplate system. Don't get me wrong I can teach it in a BCD as well by why recommend something that is not the best available?

I think we should credit people with some intelligence. I think we all can agree that back inflation is a lot better than a jacket style BCD. The best buoyancy control system is likely to have back inflation, and give options to distribute weight to suit an individual. A BP is one such option, as are trim pockets, integrated weights etc.

Given the chance to try the options, someone can decide what is right for them. If it ends up being a poodle jacket, then it's their call.

I guess my point is that not all BCDs are bad. Back inflation is not just limited to BP/W.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DiveDiva » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Packhorse wrote: From my experiance most people who try BP/W prefer them. Its that simple.

I have to say this isn't the case for me...yet! Maybe I need to try one with a single tank to see if there really is a benefit for me? To be honest, the two times I have tried a BP/W in a pool it felt awkward and when I tried Phil's in the lake, apart from the fact I had double the number of tanks, I couldn't tell the difference between that and my DivaLX. I don't like weighbelts so I use an intergrated system...with 3kgs in each pocket and 2 x 1kg in the trim tank pouches (when wearing a drysuit) and I don't find that too heavy out of the water and in water my trim is good. I have no problems with the BP/W system and I'm willing to keep trying different set ups, especially as I may be about to go 'tech', but for the moment, I can't justify switching over.

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby MuscleBob.Buffpants » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:07 pm

Going from a jacket single to a twinset on a BP/W would be pretty big. Try one with a single at some point. Underwater it's like diving without anything on - I like the freedom of an uncluttered chest without an annoying cummerbund.

I went from jacket BCD's to a BP/W after about 12 dives and there is no way I would go back...

Oh crud, now I sound like a Kool-Aid drinker... :shock:
"Oh, Bother" said Pooh as he chambered another round.
MuscleBob.Buffpants

Postby Azza » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:21 pm

Andy wrote:
Azza wrote:Do you think someone here is getting dogmatic about something?

Maybe a teeny bit. But it could be interpreted more than that by people who don't know us.

I also specialize in teaching Buoyancy course/clinics and have found my students have far more success in a backplate system. Don't get me wrong I can teach it in a BCD as well by why recommend something that is not the best available?

I think we should credit people with some intelligence. I think we all can agree that back inflation is a lot better than a jacket style BCD. The best buoyancy control system is likely to have back inflation, and give options to distribute weight to suit an individual. A BP is one such option, as are trim pockets, integrated weights etc.

Given the chance to try the options, someone can decide what is right for them. If it ends up being a poodle jacket, then it's their call.

I guess my point is that not all BCDs are bad. Back inflation is not just limited to BP/W.

The whole thing about that thread is that NO ONE was pushing a backplate on someone. C'mon, some of you guys are so sensitive!
ONE person suggested it, the rest of us DELIBERATELY stayed away from the subject so we could enable a new diver to to TRY DIFFERENT OPTIONS without undue influence!

I too believe that whatever people find comfortable is what they should dive. I have never forced any piece of kit on anyone, including my wife, yet I believe divers should at least have the OPTION to try a plate. I prefer people to come to their own conclusions and don't care what they dive, as long as they are safe and comfortable.
Last edited by Azza on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azza

Postby plumb bob » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:21 pm

I'm a newb that uses a BP/W.

I tried a few Jacket BCs before I tried a BP, no contest as far as I am concerned, BP/W= :)

I think that something that is being overlooked by folk who object to the enthusiastic opinions advocating BP/W is that the manufacturers of jackets spend huge amounts of money designing and advertising items that are made more complicated than necessary to visually justify the price tag. IMHO

I know when I was looking around at BCDs I was initially suprised at the price I was looking at for a BP/W (but it's so simple how can a similiar price to a jacket be reasonable?). But once I tried one and realised for myself just how long this product could last me (irrespective of what flavour of diving I may focus on) I was only to happy to shell out.

The amount of money poured into attempting to convince folk to stump up large for some piece of kit that they may, or may not, need/suit is incredible, those that decry the BP/W advocates here forget one thing,
generally (and I must qualify this.. I don't know exactly who works for/owns shops here and who doesn't, but I'm building a picture) the advocates of BP/W on this forum aren't going to make a cent out of someone elses decision for or against.

If you find gear that works really well for you why the hell shouldn't you advocate it's use for someone else if it works for them, it seems the most reasonable thing to do, a bit like sharing a fine single malt.. (not kool-aid) :lol: :lol:

Rob
plumb bob
Banned

Postby bigtank » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:47 pm

Single malt!!!! mmm who said that!! how old ?? tasty!!

Advocate what you believe in, i belive in jacket style.. have tried back inflates etc and they just dont do it for me, correct weighting or not,,
while i can see the advantages , i still am not convinced.. yes thre are so many BCDS on the market and most are just for show, with a big price tag,, and then ther are some built for purpose and are extremely comfortable and easy to adjust..
I think and these are my veiws and some others that a BP/W is an over kill for someone diving single tank.. and may only dive a few times in the year , the other con is that for someon wanting to do tropical dives, again is and over kill where as a small jacket or back inflate would fold up nice an snug,,
Bubbles and more bubbles creates underwater bliss!!!
bigtank

Postby plumb bob » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:03 pm

bigtank wrote:Single malt!!!! mmm who said that!! how old ?? tasty!!

Advocate what you believe in, i belive in jacket style.. have tried back inflates etc and they just dont do it for me, correct weighting or not,,
while i can see the advantages , i still am not convinced.. yes thre are so many BCDS on the market and most are just for show, with a big price tag,, and then ther are some built for purpose and are extremely comfortable and easy to adjust..
I think and these are my veiws and some others that a BP/W is an over kill for someone diving single tank.. and may only dive a few times in the year , the other con is that for someon wanting to do tropical dives, again is and over kill where as a small jacket or back inflate would fold up nice an snug,,

I don't follow how it can be overkill, for it to be so then you must show it to be doing more than is necessary.... can you?

Rob
plumb bob
Banned

Postby Packhorse » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:03 pm

Can you please explain how aBP/W is overkill for a single tank. My rig is simpler, a better fit, more flexable and cheaper than a BC. How is that overkill?
Packhorse

Postby DiveDiva » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:05 pm

Do you mean in terms of lift Bigtank?

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby bigtank » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 pm

where does thios cheaper thing come from?? can anyone tell me that??? ovrseas??maybe????
where can i get a BPW cheaper than a BCD with intgrated weights, pockets etc??? mmmmm
bigtank

Postby Azza » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 pm

DiveDiva wrote:Do you mean in terms of lift Bigtank?

DD
I dont think he means in lift...wings come as small as 15 and 18lbs. No BCD is as small as that
Azza

Postby bigtank » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:07 pm

lift, yes that tooo!!
bigtank

Postby Azza » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:09 pm

Why lift? Most poodle jackets come around 40-55lb lift..totally over the top for single tank diving...wings, as I said earlier, can be as small as 15-18lbs...ideal for tropical diving
Azza

Next

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs