Regulators

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

What regs do you own?

Apeks
31%
Apollo
4%
Atomic
2%
Aqualung/USD/Spiro/Seaquest
20%
Dacor
2%
Dive Rite
No votes
Mares
7%
Oceanics
7%
Posiedon
4%
Salvo
No votes
Scubapro
17%
Sherwood
2%
Zeagal
4%

Total votes : 54

Postby Azza » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:00 pm

As much as I love my Apeks the Oceanic is a fine recreational reg...They do have an environmentally sealed FDX (I think) reg that is similar the the apeks ds4 from memory. I have two Oceanic CDX5 with Delta 3's and they are great.
Azza

Postby BayFrogman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:59 pm

DiveDiva wrote:Hi BayFrogman!

Welcome to the forum!

Which of your regs is Oceanic?

DD

I use an oceanic omega on my pony / stage bottles due to the fact there is no upside down so can have it come in from either side of my gob lol.
And I have a delta 3 which My brother is making use of. :D
BayFrogman

Postby Hoppy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Mares Abyss on my single tank regs.
Edit: I couldnt vote for all the brands I have.

Breathes nice IF its adjusted properly and doesnt get screwed up by a dive shop muppet during a service. Its never been right since. I think he bent something. It either leaks gas slightly, or else is almost un-purgable as the button is too far down. And the adjustment between those two points is both miniscule and variable. Must take it into Kyle for a check-out.

I dont know if I would ever buy another reg that didnt have an adjustable 2nd stage. But still a nice reg.

Same shop broke the better-halfs venturi tube when servicing hers and then didnt even put the same d/s inflator back on her regs.

Backgas regs are Apeks TX100 1sts with TX50 2nds.
Deco regs are Apeks DS4 with TX50 2nds.

Apeks are just SO easy to service and tune. Same service kit covers the entire product range. And to top it off, they are pretty much trouble-free until you get around to servicing them again.
Hoppy

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:10 pm

Hoppy wrote:Must take it into Kyle for a check-out.

I must say, Kyle is the man, the proverbial mutts nuts, when it comes to servicing. Good price, good service. Isn't he off overseas soon, though??
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Hybrid » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:15 pm

Who is Kyle? Fill us in :)
Hybrid

Postby Azza » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:16 pm

Isnt he at DHQ west?
Azza

Postby Hoppy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:32 pm

Hybrid wrote:Who is Kyle? Fill us in :)

Kyle Davidson.

Ex-DiveHQ West. Good guy who does a bit of commercial training stuff, along with recently having set himself up to do reg servicing. He does a good methodical job and pays attention to detail. Cant remember his company name. DiveTech I think.

No, I hadnt heard that he was off overseas??
Hoppy

Postby Hybrid » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:35 pm

Thanks..

The only experience I've ever had is worst nitrox fills ever from DHQ West...8% out :evil: Never been back.
Hybrid

Postby Hoppy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:39 pm

Hybrid wrote:Thanks..

The only experience I've ever had is worst nitrox fills ever from DHQ West...8% out :evil: Never been back.

That would upset me a trifle too. Especially if it had been on top of some squeaky gas. Not sure how they achieved that? They have a constant flow system dont they?? O2 sensors up the wop?
Hoppy

Postby Hybrid » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:52 pm

When I got the fill it was through a DNA membrane system. THe 02 Sensor was fine when I checked it there. They just said it was hard to get the mix right ?!??!!? Having now moved to blending my own nitrox, CB mind you, there should be no real excuse...its pretty straight forward once you got the right equipment. THe Dive Centre on the shore would be upset if they were a .1% out.
Hybrid

Postby Hoppy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:20 pm

To be honest, I cant remember what they have there. I haven't been there in a couple of years. You might be right, it might be membrane. But yeah, now you mention it, I do seem to recall the flow not having a particularly stable PO2 when I was watching them fill one day.

Yup. DC on the shore do good EAN fills!! And they take the time to water-tank them, as well as cooling/topping off if you ask them to.

Do you use a CB pipe? We mainly just do PP.
Hoppy

Postby Hybrid » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:10 am

Yeah, CB in a baffled plastic pipe, with an inline 02 sensor, and welding 02 reg and flow metre...Works really well. Don't have to keep the tanks 02 clean. I've never tried PP blending before - It doesn't seem as simple, higher setup costs, but it gives you greater 02% fills, right?
Hybrid

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:18 am

Hoppy wrote:No, I hadnt heard that he was off overseas??

Sometime later this year I think, but am a bit light on details....

I really like Kyle's attitude to his work - he doesn't charge a markup on parts, just cost plus labour. Everywhere else I have my regs serviced charges a markup on parts, and labour.... which makes a huge difference in cost.

And he does a good job. No complaints with any of my recently serviced regs.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Hoppy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:44 am

Andy wrote:
Hoppy wrote:No, I hadnt heard that he was off overseas??

Sometime later this year I think, but am a bit light on details....

I really like Kyle's attitude to his work - he doesn't charge a markup on parts, just cost plus labour. Everywhere else I have my regs serviced charges a markup on parts, and labour.... which makes a huge difference in cost.

And he does a good job. No complaints with any of my recently serviced regs.

Hmmm. That would be great for him, but a shame for us.
And yes, he has a good approach, and work ethic, and Id recommend him to anyone.
Hoppy

Postby Hybrid » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:37 pm

So is Kyle still working at DHQ West?? Or has he gone out on his own?
Hybrid

PreviousNext

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs