Regulators

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

What regs do you own?

Apeks
31%
Apollo
4%
Atomic
2%
Aqualung/USD/Spiro/Seaquest
20%
Dacor
2%
Dive Rite
No votes
Mares
7%
Oceanics
7%
Posiedon
4%
Salvo
No votes
Scubapro
17%
Sherwood
2%
Zeagal
4%

Total votes : 54

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:38 pm

Hybrid wrote:So is Kyle still working at DHQ West?? Or has he gone out on his own?

On his own, I think.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Hoppy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:28 pm

Hybrid wrote:So is Kyle still working at DHQ West?? Or has he gone out on his own?

Hoppy wrote:Kyle Davidson.

Ex-DiveHQ West.
.snip.
Cant remember his company name. DiveTech I think.
Hoppy

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:36 pm

My personal regs are Scubapro. Only set i've ever owned. Mk2 first and R390 2nd. I use an air2 so no octi for me.
My 10 sets of rental's are all Scubapro too. Mk2 first stage R190/R295 2nd and octi.

Reason for rentals being scubapro is free lifetime servicing and i got a good deal on them. :D

All are yoke-if your likely to whack yoke's off the tanks on a rock etc you need to sort your diving skills out in my opinion. :D
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:38 pm

But when i need to replace my personal regs i will try some apeks as i hear great things about them-ie no-one moans about their's.
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Hybrid » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:27 pm

Hoppy wrote:

Hoppy wrote:Kyle Davidson.

Ex-DiveHQ West.
.snip.
Cant remember his company name. DiveTech I think.

Anyone got any contact details?
Hybrid

Postby Hybrid » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Hybrid

Postby Hoppy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:05 pm

Thats the one :)
Hoppy

Postby bluey » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:10 am

I bought my USD Conshelf SE3 + Matrix computer on trademe for $350.

The Matrix flooded after a few dives but the regs are in perfect condition and breath real nice (had them serviced of course) so I'm happy. So far I've only had the Conshelf to 26 meters but it still breathed well and dry in all positions.

I bought a Gekko to replace the matrix (got $300 trade in on the dead comp) and am happy with that also.

Bluey
bluey

Postby UXB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:41 am

Looking at buying a second hand set of scubapro regs tomorrow. They're a Mk2 with an R190 and an R180 octi. + basic guages.
the guy wants $650 for them and they look in pretty good condition.
Anyone with strong opinions for or against?
Martin how have your rentals been??
UXB

Postby chickdiver » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:10 am

We have an all-Apeks household :). Both Brian and I previously used SCUBAPRO and loved them. I made the switch over to Apeks about 6 years ago. My shop had just started carrying them, and I needed another stage reg, so I thought I would try them out and see what all the fuss was about. I liked it as well as I liked the SP's (at the time I owned about 12 varying from MK10's to MK20's and all G250 seconds). When rebuild time came I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of rebuilding the Apeks comapred with the SP's- especially givent he single rebuild kit and no special tools required- so I sold all my SP's and replaced them with Apeks. When Brian moved down he had all SP's, but since I had more regs than he I won and he sold his and replaced them with Apeks. It certainly makes things nice on rebuild weekend, since we have about 22 between us now!
chickdiver

Postby Packhorse » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:02 am

UXB wrote:Looking at buying a second hand set of scubapro regs tomorrow. They're a Mk2 with an R190 and an R180 octi. + basic guages.

I have brought alot of second hand regs ( alot)
and that seems way too much. I love SP regs but these ones are their entry level ones. The MK2 is unbalanced the R190 is not user ajustable. Dont get me wrong. They are good bullet proof regs but they are nothing special and you may out grow them should you want to do some deeper dives.
Keep your eyes on TM and you should be able to buy a much better SP set for a lot less.
I know of a MK10 1st and a G250 2nd (one of SPs best, better than the newer G250hp) plus a computer that went for $300.
Or a MK20 ultra light and a unused G250 for $300.
Or a unused D350 for $160
A mk20 and G500 (nice) was just offered for $370. come to think of it it is still beeing offered.
Any of these regs are much better than the mk2 and R190 and cheaper.
PM me if you want any more specific advice on buying SP regs
Packhorse

Postby Flipper » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:46 am

Packhorse wrote:...I love SP regs but these ones are their entry level ones. The MK2 is unbalanced the R190 is not user ajustable...

If buying regs (second hand or new), IMHO I'd always get the adjustable ones. Even on 30meter dives being able to have the air flow freely makes for a much more relaxed dive (then close off to stop it free flowing on the surface).

I've standardised on Apeks (got 5 sets now - still got a way to catch up with some of the other guys here!), but have a lot of respect for Scubapro regs. Scubapro seem to sell cheaper here, but I've managed to pick up some very good Apeks deals on eBay (UK & US) recently.
Flipper

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:58 am

UXB wrote:Looking at buying a second hand set of scubapro regs tomorrow. They're a Mk2 with an R190 and an R180 octi. + basic guages.

Thats about how much i paid for brand new mk2 + r390, 190 octi and console. So if i were you i'd tell him to knock at least 150 off that ridiculous price or take a running jump. :D
Martin-PK Divers

Postby UXB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:02 pm

Thank you all very much for the really helpful advice!!!
It makes so much difference going into a purchase with your eyes at least part way open :shock:
UXB

Postby DiveDiva » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:35 pm

UXB wrote:Thank you all very much for the really helpful advice!!!
It makes so much difference going into a purchase with your eyes at least part way open :shock:

What have you decided on Kirk?

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs