Regulators

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

What regs do you own?

Apeks
31%
Apollo
4%
Atomic
2%
Aqualung/USD/Spiro/Seaquest
20%
Dacor
2%
Dive Rite
No votes
Mares
7%
Oceanics
7%
Posiedon
4%
Salvo
No votes
Scubapro
17%
Sherwood
2%
Zeagal
4%

Total votes : 54

Postby UXB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:55 pm

I'm gonna take Packhorses advice and keep an eye on another set that's up for sale.
It's actually for Megs so I want to make sure it's safe and reliable!!!
Jaw fatique is also an issue , so I think an adjustable reg, is probably a good idea.

The people with the MK2 and R190 have several sets up for sale so we can afford the time to see how the other one goes............... fingers crossed. :)
UXB

Postby Packhorse » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:17 pm

Adjustable does not effect jaw fatigue AFAIK. Some people/companys may try to convince you the size of the reg contributes to jaw fatigue. Im not convinced of that either. I think the two biggest influences would be the mouth piece ( I like the comfy bite some hate it) and proper hose routing. EG the hose not pulling or pushing the reg.

I think the MK2 and R190 are both safe and reliable regs, just not high performance regs. And if you plan on keeping them for a while thats the only type to buy.
Packhorse

Postby UXB » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:27 am

Adjustable does not effect jaw fatigue AFAIK.

Yep I totally agree with what you're saying about the physical nature of the mouthpiece and hose routing but I reckon that some sufferers of lock jaw get it psycosomatically. Possibly because they're thinking about or are conscious of their breathing. If your're sucking on a stubborn reg at depth stressing about your next breath, even subconsciously, then you're less likely to be relaxed. Hence the sore jaw........ stress induced, kinda like the sore jaw you get from grinding your teeth in your sleep worrying about the All Blacks in the Rugby World Cup..
OR that your Missus will find out how much you've spent on more dive gear......... :D

At least that's my theory??!!
UXB

Postby chickdiver » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:28 am

UXB wrote:
Adjustable does not effect jaw fatigue AFAIK.

Yep I totally agree with what you're saying about the physical nature of the mouthpiece and hose routing but I reckon that some sufferers of lock jaw get it psycosomatically. Possibly because they're thinking about or are conscious of their breathing. If your're sucking on a stubborn reg at depth stressing about your next breath, even subconsciously, then you're less likely to be relaxed. Hence the sore jaw........ stress induced, kinda like the sore jaw you get from grinding your teeth in your sleep worrying about the All Blacks in the Rugby World Cup..
OR that your Missus will find out how much you've spent on more dive gear......... :D

At least that's my theory??!!

You might also have her try several types of mouthpieces- the right mouthpiece can make a world of difference. I tend to get "tired jaw" on long dives- especially on the RB (the loop itself is quite heavy). Personally I really like the Aqualung "Comfo Bite" mouthpiece- I have them on all my regs. They have a little "pocket at the top that captures the uper teeth, and it takes no effort to keep it in place.

Good luck and let us know what works out!
chickdiver

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Reg size is a bit of a red herring when it comes to jaw fatigue - the larger regs have a larger displace water volume, so tend to get buoyed up more than the smaller ones.

Moutpiece is everything - I tried one of the those mouldable ones a while back, but found it too stiff, and they're a right royal pain if you are sharing air with the main reg you breathe off.

Comfy bite are good, but I find they chafe the roof of my mouth a bit. I just go for longer mouthpeices now and they work fine.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Azza » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:58 pm

chickdiver wrote:Personally I really like the Aqualung "Comfo Bite" mouthpiece-
Same. They are great. I notice it when I use Katies reg as she has the standard mouthpice...
Azza

Postby nitrox » Tue May 15, 2007 3:23 pm

Aqualung Legend LX ACD Yoke with apollo bio filter and on my pony bottle i use a Aqualung Calypso XP Yoke
nitrox

Postby wibbleman » Sat May 26, 2007 9:28 pm

I also use the Aqualung Legend LX, but not the ACD version. Got it because after using rentals for a while and getting sick of getting crapped out regs occasionaly. And even using the dive shop owners omega (the blue side exhaust one) and not liking how wet it breathed. The only consistently good regs were the titan's, and the legend is just the next step up (the only changes i can spot are in the first stage, as the guts of the legend is pretty much a titan lx), hence my choice.
wibbleman

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Thu May 31, 2007 1:09 pm

Very envious of your shiny new regs DD. V V nice indeed. 8)
Martin-PK Divers

Postby nitrox » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:35 am

Have just changed Legend LX to DIN Going to Global dive on Sunday to change Calypso XP to DIN
nitrox

Postby Packhorse » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:51 am

nitrox wrote:Have just changed Legend LX to DIN Going to Global dive on Sunday to change Calypso XP to DIN

If its DIN its in. If its yoke its just a ..... :lol:
Packhorse

Postby nathanbarlow » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:09 pm

theres no option for sporasub!!!

lol not all of us have fancy gear :P
nathanbarlow

Postby Red Sea Shadow » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:31 am

I voted Mares because the MR-22 Abyss is my favorite. I have 2 Mares Mr-22 Abyss, 1 Mares V-16 Orbiter, 1 Scubapro MK10, and 1 Scubapro MK2.
Red Sea Shadow

Postby kamyk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:49 am

ScubaPro RULEZZZZZZZZ !! :lol:
kamyk

Re: Regulators

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:06 pm

Twin AQUALUNG Legends (ADC/LX), and my back up set is US DIVERS/AQUALUNG Conshelf SE2 with AQUALUNG LX Octopus.
All run flawlessly and breathe great...
Always been a fan of US Divers regs.
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

PreviousNext

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs