balanced vs over balanced

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

balanced vs over balanced

Postby Milky » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:49 pm

is there really a big difference between balanced and overbalanced?

Thanks for the inputs
Alive to Dive
Milky

Re: balanced vs over balanced

Postby HJEdwards » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:48 pm

1st stage Unbalanced vs. Balanced vs Over-balanced.
An unbalanced 1st stage has a fluctuating Intermediate Pressure as the tank goes from full to empty.
A balanced 1st stage keeps a constant IP regardless of tank pressure.

This has nothing to do with depth- only tank pressure. All 1st stages increase their IP with increased depth (Ambient Pressure) so you can breathe normally. Normal IP is approx 10bar at the surface. For every 10m in depth, the IP increases by 1bar. Thus at 30m the IP will be 13bar (10bar +1 +1 +1)

An overbalanced works in a different way but confusingly uses the word 'balanced'. The 1st stage IP changes with difference in Ambient Pressure so that the IP increases beyond what would be normal in a balanced 1st. At great depth... say 200m, normal air (21/79) gets viscous or 'thick'. An overbalanced 1st will theoretically help this. You will not feel any difference on a dive to 50m.

There is no useful difference for you as a diver IMO unless you're planning 200m dives on air. "Hold my beer and watch this!"

http://scuba.about.com/od/regulators/p/Balanced-Vs-Unbalanced-Regulator-Basics-For-Beginners.htm
HJEdwards

Postby rambaldi » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:23 pm

HJEdwards wrote:...

An overbalanced works in a different way but confusingly uses the word 'balanced'. The 1st stage IP changes with difference in Ambient Pressure so that the IP increases beyond what would be normal in a balanced 1st. At great depth... say 200m, normal air (21/79) gets viscous or 'thick'. An overbalanced 1st will theoretically help this. You will not feel any difference on a dive to 50m.

There is no useful difference for you as a diver IMO unless you're planning 200m dives on air. "Hold my beer and watch this!"

http://scuba.about.com/od/regulators/p/Balanced-Vs-Unbalanced-Regulator-Basics-For-Beginners.htm

Agreed, unless you are doing stupid dives on air then overbalanced is just a marketing gimmick. Don't let it put you off the product necessarily, but it isn't a feature you need.
rambaldi

Postby Milky » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks all for making this clearer. You are right, I don't think I will ever dive to 200meter on normal air.....
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Milky » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks all for making this clearer. You are right, I don't think I will ever dive to 200meter on normal air.....
Alive to Dive
Milky

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs