NZ KIT - WHICH MANUFACTURERS/SUITS

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

NZ KIT - WHICH MANUFACTURERS/SUITS

Postby nessak » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:23 am

We are hoping to move to NZ in the New Year and are looking at buying new BCD's & regs before we leave the UK. Can anyone let me know which manufacturers kit can be serviced easily in NZ ?? Currently we are looking at Aqualung and Beuchat kit......

Also can you let me know what suits are usual for NZ diving ? Is the water warm enough to dive in wetsuits (5/7mm) all year round or are drysuits best ??

Any tips/help would be very appreciated...
nessak

Re: NZ KIT - WHICH MANUFACTURERS/SUITS

Postby aquakiwi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:38 am

Aqualung is easily serviceable, you may find Beuchat harder, I don't know for sure but I am not aware of any Beuchat agents here. Regarding suits, a 5m can be used all year round especially in the north but if you have a dry suit I would bring it and use it year round.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Re: NZ KIT - WHICH MANUFACTURERS/SUITS

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:13 am

You'll find plenty of ex-pat poms here to welcome you to these fair shores, congratulations on deciding to make the move!

As aquakiwi has said, Beachat gear is thin on the ground - popular in the spearfishing community, which is mostly breath hold here, so fins, masks wetsuits etc are common enough, but I don't know of any reg service technicians.

Aqualung fine, almost everywhere will service Aqualung regs. Scubapro also worth considering, as plenty of places stock and service Scuabpro. I find Apeks is a little expensive in terms of servicing here.

The big question regarding wet/drysuits is where are you actually moving to? Even in the deep south, most Kiwi divers stick to a 7mm wetsuit all year round, but then they are a difference breed down south! Up here in the north, water temperature will generally vary from 12-14 degC in winter, through to 20-22 degC in summer. I am a big jesse and dive my drysuit all year around.

Down in the south, you're probably looking at between 7-10 degC in winter - unsure of summer temps, but I'd guess it may only reach the 16-18 degC range?

If you already own a drysuit, I'd bring it for sure.
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs