Single tank adaptor

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Re: Single tank adaptor

Postby Milky » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:07 pm

no way i wanna dive with twins on a Pioneer. i never had problem with my BC that has at least 50lbs of lift. it is just horsehoe type. I wanna have a donut shape halcyon and that was the only one avalaible. If Halcyon makes it up to 45lbs of lift there gotta b a good reason for it.

I don't understand y there is a backplate such as mine and Aquakiwi that doesn't have slots for tank straps. is it becuase it is an oldermodel?

at dive HQ , single and twin set-up is nearly the same price about NZ$1000. Which is about US$600. it is a very cheap set-up especially it's Halcyon.

Once the wing arrive hopefully, i wanna c your mini STA. it might work.

Hey will it work if the Halcyon STA is put backward since the back part is straight and flat and b attched directly to the backplate and then attach the wing at the end?
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:21 pm

Milky wrote:no way i wanna dive with twins on a Pioneer. i never had problem with my BC that has at least 50lbs of lift. it is just horsehoe type. I wanna have a donut shape halcyon and that was the only one avalaible. If Halcyon makes it up to 45lbs of lift there gotta b a good reason for it.

Sorry, I still don't get it.... if you're not wanting to dive BP/W on singles, then why buy a single wing?? Just because it's available and you want one?

I don't understand y there is a backplate such as mine and Aquakiwi that doesn't have slots for tank straps. is it becuase it is an oldermodel?

Possibly the age. Certainly OMS and DiveRite plates now have slots... slots for England really, they seem to be trying to have bolt centres and slots to fit any configuration you might want to try and attach them to. I'm guessing that your plate was designed purely for use with twins or with an STA?

Hey will it work if the Halcyon STA is put backward since the back part is straight and flat and b attched directly to the backplate and then attach the wing at the end?

Not really sure what you mean, but I don't think it will work...
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:44 pm

Actually i bought the wing set-up cause it was very cheap and it was meant for doubles. i never did plan to dive single on bp/wing, but then i heard really good stuffs about divers who shifted onto donut shape single wing. plus my harness,although i haven''t use it for diving yet, it feels great and better than my seaquest Blackdiamond BC. then i was just reading something on Thedecostop and somebody was offerring this unused Pioneer wing. so i just grab it.

Actually after i bought the ss bp/wing, i wanna have another one but Alloy for travelling purposes.U might b right, Andy, maybe it is just easier for me to have another backplate with tank straps slots since my hope-2-arrive wing already has a built in STA. I can use my old tank strap from my bc. and i have another tank strap in Indonesia in which it can b sent here easily.So then i have 2 tank straps. Either i buy Halcyon STA or OMS STA they both cost more than $200. If i am lucky i can get a good 2nd hand Alloy B/P for less than $200. there was a guy that was selling alloy on trdme for $180. I don't really like those superdeluxe harness. the simpler the better as long has it has d-rings for attachments.

Packhorse recommended me the same thing as well just 2 have 2 bp for different type of wing. because he uses 2 B/p , one for single and one for double.

Andy, do u ever go diving where u need to bring 2 types of wing for double and single? If so, do u use them both with the same backplate, which means that u have to cahnge the wing all the time? If so, is it a pain in changing them around?
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:58 am

I've gotta say, Milky, I think that by the time you mess around buying various bits of second hand gear to try and get your rig the way you want it, and find that bits don't fit or work together.... you'll probably end up spending more than if you'd just got some decent advice (before impulse buying second hand stuff) and bought new.

As much as Packhorse likes to rant in letters to DiveNZ magazine about not getting impartial advice from dive stores, I think that you actually do get some good advice. Sure, each shop will tend to steer you towards what they stock - but you've done the right thing, gone to Global and looked at the OMS stuff... and gone to DiveHQ to look at the Halcyon. I'm sure you're intelligent enough to take the advice and make the decision that's right for you.

Milky wrote:Andy, do u ever go diving where u need to bring 2 types of wing for double and single? If so, do u use them both with the same backplate, which means that u have to cahnge the wing all the time? If so, is it a pain in changing them around?

Sometimes - it doesn't take that long, only five minutes to swap wing to a single tank setup. On days when I'm expecting to do big dives, though, rather than take the single tank wing I normally just take a 15L tank and transfill into the twins. I've normally got 50-70bar in the twins after a *BIG* dive, and transfilling from a 15L at 230bar gives me about 120bar in the twins.... more than enough for a second dive.

If it's two big dives, I just take a second set of twins and swap them over.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby tazbubz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:10 pm

Andy wrote:As much as Packhorse likes to rant in letters to DiveNZ magazine about not getting impartial advice from dive stores, I think that you actually do get some good advice.

Gee thats a bit unsporting Andy. Taking a comment of Milky's about Packhorse's recommendations and using it way out of context to attack Packhorse.
After all he only gave Milky the exact same advice you gave him, to have 2 BPs, one for singles one for doubles.

And they way I read Packhorse's letter (only ever saw one but maybe there were more) to dive NZ it was more a correction to Dave Moran's misinformation in regards to online shops as opposed to LDS's. Surely you must agree with him since you buy so much of your gear online too?
I think if Milky suffers from impulse buying on line he is just as likely to suffer from it in a dive shop.
what did the farmer say to the cow on the roof? - "get off the roof" What did the cow say? "Moo"
tazbubz

Postby Milky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:42 pm

Actually Andy, the best thing to do is going to the shop and look at their products or what they r offering and what they have to say about them, and then try them on for a dive at least in the pool. As you are aware, divers have different type of comfortableness. There are some that still prefer Jacket style BC than the Wing BC, etc. in the past I bought lots of diving brand from a shop that I find is crappy because they don't sell the other brand which I think was much suited for me or for other divers. One time a dive shop owner told me that Trilam drysuit is suitable only for sligthly cold water diving like in the US and not for cold water in NZ because his shop only sells neoprene drysuit not Trilam.

It's good that Global allow you to rent their Artic undergarments so that divers can test for themselves whether these product is worth the money or not.

Well anyway I always respect the inputs I get from you guys on this forums.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby gingerninja » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:51 pm

yeah, come on Andy, be nice. We expect better from a mod.
gingerninja

Previous

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs