Single tank adaptor

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Single tank adaptor

Postby Milky » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:41 pm

Hey all,

apart from Global Dive, is there anywhere else i can buy Single Tank adaptor? Global sells one at a reasonable price but they said i can get a better discount. they r very professionally made but it's just that it is bit big and heavy, unlike the simple STA i c on online shops in the US.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Re: Single tank adaptor

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:39 pm

DiveHQ in Greenlane sell the Halcyon STA. It's a nice bit of kit.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:15 am

If you are that way inclined take measurements and go to a stainless sheet metal shop they are simple and not much to them.Then you can have any thickness you want.The freight from overseas would be more than what the sta is worth.
cheers
Mark
silent solutions

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Why do you want a lightweight STA, Milky?

I've got an ultralight STA, made by Narced@60 - it's two seperate plates, both very light. Looks like this:

I actually don't like it, it's too light and too fiddly when swapping between twin and single tanks. If you wanted, I'd sell it to you for what it costs me to replace with a Halcyon one?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:50 pm

Heyya Andy,

I went to Dive HQ at Grenlane today as u suggested to visit . They did have the single tank adaptor. it is quite well made , simple and best of all it's light. only that it comes with two tank ss tank straps (halcyon brand). Honestly, i like the scubapro band better because it is so easy to lock and unlock the strap unless u have to shift to different tank sizes.

So still deciding. i wish they can sell me only the STA.

Global sells only STA wihout the bands, although it is well made but I find it quite heavy.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby aquakiwi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:30 am

As I remember Milky when I lent you weights you had 10-12kg, why not go for a Halcyon adaptor and loose some of the weight in your pockets. My adaptor is a Halcyon and I ended up adding lead to the top to achive better trim.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Milky » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:45 am

yes, it was 12kgs of lead. I didn't know that u also had Halcyon STA. Also i didn't know that it is positively bouyant despite that it uses ss camband.

I haven't tested my boyancy yet with my new trilam drysuit. i don't know if i need more lead or not. as u know i was using an old bravo drysuit with 5mm and non compressed. Now i will b using trilam with DUI 200gr thinsulates. so i don't know yet about the changes of my weights. Do u think i will need more or less? under my undergarment i am just wearing short and longsleeve t-shirt. I hope i will b warm enough

i have bought a secondhand weightbelts with weights. it was initially advertised as 19kgs but when i picked it up, it was only nearly 10kgs.lucky the seller allowed mto pay half of the agreed bidding price.
when i dove with the rest of SODS guys in taupo using my old drysuit i was using only 10kg because it was feshwater. i plan to do the same hopefully today (if only i can get the the rest of the leads out of the weight belt since it i think it is stuck, need to move them to my weight pockets)

i have bought a single Halcyon wing from The decostop. Hopefully it will arrive here in good condition. The problem with my SS backplate it doesn't have those holes where u can slot cambands through although my waited single wing has slots for them.

Aquakiwi, why do u need STA for? Isn't your backplate and single wing has slots for cambands?

Thanks for your inputs.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:47 am

Milky wrote:yes, it was 12kgs of lead. I didn't know that u also had Halcyon STA. Also i didn't know that it is positively bouyant despite that it uses ss camband.

It will almost definitely be negatively buoyant - Halcyon also have a weighted STA, that takes another kilo or two off the weightbelt.

I haven't tested my boyancy yet with my new trilam drysuit. i don't know if i need more lead or not. as u know i was using an old bravo drysuit with 5mm and non compressed.

You will almost definitely need less weight. I'm down to 7kg with my trilam, 12kg seems way too much to me.

i have bought a single Halcyon wing from The decostop. Hopefully it will arrive here in good condition. The problem with my SS backplate it doesn't have those holes where u can slot cambands through although my waited single wing has slots for them.

You'll probably be ok, the Halcyon kit is bombproof - you'd really have to abuse the stuff to do it any damage. How much did you pay for it?? The only reason I ask, is that DiveHQ Greenlane are selling Halcyon kit at about the same price as buying direct from EE. A full single tank rig, BP, wing and STA costs $1k.

Most BPs are really unstable without an STA - some, like the Blackart ones, havea means for keeping the tank stable but the majority will benefit from an STA.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:22 am

Andy wrote:
Milky wrote:yes, it was 12kgs of lead. I didn't know that u also had Halcyon STA. Also i didn't know that it is positively bouyant despite that it uses ss camband.

It will almost definitely be negatively buoyant - Halcyon also have a weighted STA, that takes another kilo or two off the weightbelt.

I haven't tested my boyancy yet with my new trilam drysuit. i don't know if i need more lead or not. as u know i was using an old bravo drysuit with 5mm and non compressed.

You will almost definitely need less weight. I'm down to 7kg with my trilam, 12kg seems way too much to me.

You'll probably be ok, the Halcyon kit is bombproof - you'd really have to abuse the stuff to do it any damage. How much did you pay for it?? The only reason I ask, is that DiveHQ Greenlane are selling Halcyon kit at about the same price as buying direct from EE. A full single tank rig, BP, wing and STA costs $1k.

Most BPs are really unstable without an STA - some, like the Blackart ones, havea means for keeping the tank stable but the majority will benefit from an STA.

I beliave the Pioneer wing have built in STA so no need for STA, i just learnt this last night. But still my Oms ss backplate doesn't have the slot holes for the tank straps to go through. Yes, Mel at Dive HQ told me the price set of the rig set-up which i think it is amazing.Just imagine u can even buy normal BC at a higher price. Yes, i do know there are two types of Halcyon STA (i also learnt this last night) but i don't know which one was shown to me.

I bought the wing which the guy never used before, although it is still Pioneer not the Elipse where it has inner baldder. i bought it for US$175. The only problem is that it is 45lbs of lift which i learnt from a website is for Very cold temperature. A similar wing on Ebay was once sold for more than US$220, and had been used many times. I just hope i didn't need to pay any GST or duty on them.

I have noticed at Ebay the one that has very high value for 2nd hand wing is either Halcyon or OMS Larry Green. As for Halcyon, whatever the miliage was used up and for any model , the price had always been very high.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:41 am

Milky wrote:I bought the wing which the guy never used before, although it is still Pioneer not the Elipse where it has inner baldder. i bought it for US$175. The only problem is that it is 45lbs of lift which i learnt from a website is for Very cold temperature. A similar wing on Ebay was once sold for more than US$220, and had been used many times. I just hope i didn't need to pay any GST or duty on them.

Sorry, Milky.... but I think you've been totally shafted on that wing.

A 45lb wing on a single tank is crazy, particularly if you are diving a membrane drysuit now. I use a 50lb wing for my twinset, and that comfortably gives me all the lift I need for two 80 cu ft stage tanks as well as the stuff on my back.

With my singles rig, I use a 30lb Eclipse - and even that is more lift than I actually need. I hope it works for you, but to be honest I think you've wasted your $$$s on something that is not quite right.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:57 am

That is still less than my current BCD that has more than 50lbs of lifts.

By the way, i just got this email from Halcyon about attaching Pioneer wing on a backplate with no slots for tank straps.

"Hello,
Thank you for your question about Halcyon products. The Pioneer wing is
designed with built in stabilizers that require the tank straps feed
through the backplate. The tank straps need the strength of the
backplate vs the strength of the wing alone to hold the tank. It may be
difficult to use this set up with a standard single tank adapter because
of the stiffening rods in the wing. I would suggest trying to locate a
plate with the slots in so that your tank and wing . If you have any
further questions feel free to contact me.
Regards
Ken"

Funny thing is that on their BC Manual they showed the Pioneer using STA.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:34 pm

Milky wrote:That is still less than my current BCD that has more than 50lbs of lifts.

Most BCs are designed on teh basis of fashion, rather than function.

By the way, i just got this email from Halcyon about attaching Pioneer wing on a backplate with no slots for tank straps.

"Hello,
Thank you for your question about Halcyon products. The Pioneer wing is
designed with built in stabilizers that require the tank straps feed
through the backplate. The tank straps need the strength of the
backplate vs the strength of the wing alone to hold the tank. It may be
difficult to use this set up with a standard single tank adapter because
of the stiffening rods in the wing. I would suggest trying to locate a
plate with the slots in so that your tank and wing . If you have any
further questions feel free to contact me.
Regards
Ken"

Funny thing is that on their BC Manual they showed the Pioneer using STA.

The Narced@60 STA will probably fit the Pioneer wings. The Halcyon STA runs the full length of the wing, but the stiffening rods only run part of the distance between the eyelets. You can see what I mean in this photo:

Because the N@60 is two seperate plates, they may fit flush against the plate and not overlap the stiffening rods. It's a long shot, but you could try that. If they "almost fit", you can always trim them a little. Or as Silent Solutions suggested, get one made to fit the specific dimensions of the Pioneer wing so it fits between the stiffening rods?

Seems a lot of d!cking around to me, though. A new backplate is only a few hundy - so why not take advantage of not needing an STA and spend the money on a new backplate? My honest impression is that if you mess around trying to get all these bits to fit and work together, then you're going to end up with a rig that just doesn't work.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby aquakiwi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:43 pm

I'm using STA because my Diverite plate has no tank band slots.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Milky » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:51 pm

so your backplate is similar to mine then, Aquakiwi.

hhmmmm..just wondering if u can make holes for the straps to slot in? probabaly is cheaper just to get those mini sta like the one Andy mention. it's not a bad idea to have another backplate though for single. Anyway not in a hurry to move to wing for single tank diving.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Milky wrote:hhmmmm..just wondering if u can make holes for the straps to slot in? probabaly is cheaper just to get those mini sta like the one Andy mention. it's not a bad idea to have another backplate though for single. Anyway not in a hurry to move to wing for single tank diving.

Huh? So why a 45lb single wing?? I hope you're not planning to dive a Pioneer wing with twins? It's way too narrow to work effectively.
Andy
Serial Poster

Next

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs