Regs

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Regs

Postby baddestfrog » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:03 am

Hi to everyone :D

I am a fairly new diver shortly emigrating to NZ and would appreciate some advice. I am trying to buy most of my equipment over here as I understand it is a bit cheaper.
Currently I'm looking at buying a set of Cressi regs and octo and would like to know what the support for servicing/repairs is like for Cressi equipment. If Cressi is not widely used, what would you recommend?

Thanks ......... and looking forward to some warmer diving!!!
baddestfrog

Re: Regs

Postby NEMES1S » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:14 am

I guess it depends where "Over here" is if you are in the UK I would definately look at APEKs regs over anything else or AQUALUNG/US Divers (Legends/Titans).
Personally I wouldnt buy Cressi regs but thats just me...

But yeah warmer diving in NZ jeepers you must be in cold water... :lol:
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby DiveDiva » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:36 am

baddestfrog wrote:Hi to everyone :D

I am a fairly new diver shortly emigrating to NZ and would appreciate some advice. I am trying to buy most of my equipment over here as I understand it is a bit cheaper.
Currently I'm looking at buying a set of Cressi regs and octo and would like to know what the support for servicing/repairs is like for Cressi equipment. If Cressi is not widely used, what would you recommend?

Thanks ......... and looking forward to some warmer diving!!!

Hi baddestfrog and welcome to the forum!

I also came to NZ from overseas. Cressi isn't as common in these parts and I'm actually not sure what the support would be like for servicing etc. It would be best to check with whoever you're purchasing from or - better still - Cressi themsleves. I came over with Scubapro, which is sold commonly in NZ, but my warranty was still invalid :( A year and a half ago I bought some Apeks regs from Global Dive in Auckland and I'm very happy with them so far. With regards to difference in price, I don't think there was much in it but always best to do some research to source what would be best for you. :D

Hope that helps and that we get to see you when you get over here. Whereabouts are you moving to?
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby andyinthebox » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:39 am

cressi is common.....when did you last check a divestore? :lol:
Account suspended by administrator
andyinthebox
Membership suspended

Postby DiveDiva » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:53 am

As I understand it, Cressi isn't AS common here as in Europe. (So aleedgedly uncommon, in fact, it didn't even make this poll http://www.scubadive.net.nz/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=161 when we did it! :wink: ) As I said though, it's best to check with the manufacturer as to how accessible servicing is in NZ.

Europe is, by the way, where I'm assuming you're from baddestfrog :oops: (sorry if I assumed incorrectly!)
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby DiveDiva » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:18 am

Axe wrote:Hey DD,

I dropped a line to Ben (Cressi wholesaler in NZ) and asked for availability of servicing and how widespread gear availability is. I will post the result.

Pete

Thanks Pete :D
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby baddestfrog » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:36 am

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies........and so quick :lol: The survey was interesting, it does appear that Apeks are more common so will check out some options there as well.

I am moving from UK to Auckland and hope to join a dive club there. I am expecting it to be warmer,my warmest dive here has been 14C..my training dives were 8C in a wetsuit :shock:

Looking forward to getting over there and thanks again for your help.
baddestfrog

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:43 pm

baddestfrog wrote:I am a fairly new diver shortly emigrating to NZ and would appreciate some advice. I am trying to buy most of my equipment over here as I understand it is a bit cheaper.

Congratulations on making the move, plenty of ex-pats here in NZ who will welcome you I'm sure. Whereabouts are you making the move from?

Adding my $0.02 worth, I do like Apeks regs but have found that servicing costs are a little higher here than some other brands. Probably not so much that if you're only one set of regs, once per year that it would be an issue.... but with the eight sets of regs in our household, I would notice the difference!

Most "main" brands should be ok in terms of service kits - though I have to admit that I don't know any Cressi technicians, whereas I do know plenty of Scubapro, Mares, Apeks and Aqualung techs. One of the interesting elements of Auckland's dive industry is that certain wholesalers only supply certain stores - so sometimes the nearest shop to you doesn't stock or service the gear, meaning you have to travel further to get things done. My local shop, for example, stocks/services Scuapro and Mares... so when the one set of Apeks regs I own needs a service, I have to take them into a different shop to get them done.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby andyinthebox » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:50 pm

buy the cressi if you like them,i don't think servicing won't really be a major factor compared to other brands over here....
andyinthebox
Membership suspended

Postby andyinthebox » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:22 pm

infact i believe globaldive service cressi regs,so theres no probelm there baddestfrog
the rest of ya....what y'all on about?
andyinthebox
Membership suspended

Postby NEMES1S » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:12 pm

andyinthebox wrote:
the rest of ya....what y'all on about?

I assume thats targeted at the "service" comments not my initial comment about "personally" not buying them.
Just for the sake of argument..

I actually made that statement based on the fact that at the shop we had Cressi and Aqualung regs for rental and I knew what they looked like when they started at the shop and the Cressi set after a years use in comparison to the Titan regs two years the difference was visually obvious.
The Titan first stage is a rock!! (And just the general finish of the Aqualung gear has a bit more polish IMO)

But the Titans were definately rock solid and in good shape considering the time frame and conditions,and having used them on occasion I still found them a bullet proof breathe... :lol:

I know a couple of Wellington divers that swear by the Titan regs...
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby tara » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:18 pm

isnt apexs now aqualung and dont they do free service and parts for life?
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby tara » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:26 pm

i'd recommend mares abyss. dont know much about the cressis but the apexs are easy to get serviced here.
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby baddestfrog » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:27 am

H everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I am trying out a set of apeks regs (borrowed from a friend) next week as I've never used apeks before. Just an excuse to get in the water again.........even if it is just the pool :lol:
baddestfrog

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs