BCD's - jumping in the deep end

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Re: BCD's - jumping in the deep end

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:13 pm

Yeah without my Drysuit pockets I would be lost for storage,at the moment my left pocket has the spare mask and in the right there is the SMB and fingerspool and orange whistle (pinched off a life jacket from an Aircraft :lol: )
The storage space in the back of my Halcyon B/P like Xman posted is currently vacant so I can add the 80lb Lift bag there when it arrives.
Have a look at this video as to the storage of the lift bag,I have recently been testing if I could easily clip and unclip something off the "D" ring in the position shown....I had no problem at all,so once packed in the storage area correctly it should deploy in the shown manner.

http://www.the-inner-space.com/producti ... torage.php

Video compliments of Andy.

Also more training/instuctional videos here:

http://www.the-inner-space.com/producti ... skills.php

I have a "soft" Goodman handle on my Can-light and also held in place with spare buckle and that works a charm,guages and SPG all the rest is essentially the same set up as Andy.I did allways want to ask you though Andy as to why you told me to wear the torch head on my left hand with the line across the body,and now I know...Reg donation...as ususal makes perfect sense.

Whats funny though is even though this is a 'minimalistic' approach to diving we allways seem to be carrying more kit than the rest...ha ha ha ha...:D
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Xman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:12 pm

NEMES1S wrote:Whats funny though is even though this is a 'minimalistic' approach to diving we allways seem to be carrying more kit than the rest...ha ha ha ha...:D

True, but that is the fundamental difference in mentality about what is the "minimum".
The difference between a "what if" frame of mind, and a "she'll be right" frame of mind is all the difference in the world.
The biggest challenge in training/mentoring divers (or any potentially risky sport) is trying to turn the later into the former.
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:35 pm

Xman wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:Whats funny though is even though this is a 'minimalistic' approach to diving we allways seem to be carrying more kit than the rest...ha ha ha ha...:D

True, but that is the fundamental difference in mentality about what is the "minimum".
The difference between a "what if" frame of mind, and a "she'll be right" frame of mind is all the difference in the world.
The biggest challenge in training/mentoring divers (or any potentially risky sport) is trying to turn the later into the former.

This is the truth... great point... :D

Quite a few people randomly say "Jeeze you carry a load of gear Rob" but realistically I am not carrying such a load of gear.
Pony for one...hell you can never have enough to breathe,the rest is basically saftey gear and just a different set up of equipment.
Mind you most see a "Backplate" and immediately assume you are a "Tech" diver. (Much to Pete's delight :D ).

That said I have seen Backplate/Transpac set ups in the past on Dive Trips with loads gear dangling all over the show,well into the "Stroke" dept.

And on the "Poodle coat" thing way back at the start,I have absolutely no qualms diving with folk in whatever they like as long as they are capable and diving safely and with respect both for the environment (both local and Ocean) and that which dwells within it...including us.
I started a thread on here not to throw shadow on BCDs more my own personal experiences with BCDs and how I have (for lack of a better word) evolved in my own diving and goals.

And as I and Pete mentioned earlier in this thread,had I not been given such an oversized BCD in the first place I possibly wouldnt have reached out to try to find something that was very close fitting and solid as the Halcyon rig I currently use.
It may not be ideal for trudging over long strips of pebbled terrain to get to a dive site in Wellington,but I am prepared to make that sacrifice for now what I am used to and where I want/hope to go with my Diving.
NEMES1S

Postby Xman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:12 pm

Pete wrote:...snip...Nothing like real experience to determine what is best for me...

Absolutely. Try different setups and think them through as far as YOUR diving needs go. Then go with what works best for you.
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Pete wrote:Ok, Nem... lots of great ideas here... we need to rearrange your spare BP so it fits properly, then I want to tie the extras on so I can get them comfortably when going for a dive... I will try these configurations out a few times on the BP and Jacket...

Nothing like real experience to determine what is best for me...

Yeah we can have a look at the set up pre-dive and see whats what,I dont know if you saw Trish's attachment for her SMB on the side of her Transpac it was a DIVERITE bit of kit as well and looked tidy and functional.
Andy from NZSA also uses the same bit of kit.

Or:
I just give you my Halcyon one for a dive and I use the Zeagle.
But if you were keen to use the Zeagle one long term it may pay to get it adjusted and then get used to that one.
At the moment really the only difference between them is the wing and some subtle differences in the actual plate design.
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:51 pm

NEMES1S wrote:I have a "soft" Goodman handle on my Can-light and also held in place with spare buckle and that works a charm,guages and SPG all the rest is essentially the same set up as Andy.I did allways want to ask you though Andy as to why you told me to wear the torch head on my left hand with the line across the body,and now I know...Reg donation...as ususal makes perfect sense.

It is counter-intuitive - if the light cord goes under the reg hose, it's easier to donate the reg.... most of the time. Apart from if the primary light is clipped off to the right shoulder D-ring, in which case it traps the reg hose and prevents it from being donated.

When the cord is over the reg hose, once you've donated the light cord and the reg hose are twisted, but it's a simple job to untwist them - but there's nothing in the way of getting air to the OOG diver.

It kinda makes more sense when you do it - next time we're out, we can have a go with the lights and see how the placement of the light cord affects things.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby tara » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:25 am

hehe its true - the more gear you try and shake off .. it seems like we add a little more.
but do you notice other checking out your gear configuration, asking questions, adding some of the same parts to their own?
and then we are the ones they want to be with in an emergency
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby tara » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:47 pm

thats so true pete. cool, calm and collected.
its not what you have, its what you do with it that counts.

being able to portray that non-erratic, composed demeanour comes with experience and knowing you have the right kit or skills for the job.
tara
Dive Mistress

Previous

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs