SIMPLE GREEN

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

SIMPLE GREEN

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:47 am

Ok guys I have somehow contaminated some of my dive Regs,possibly in a sink where there has been some Persil soap powder.
So I need to clean them,and Andy told me while back use SIMPLE GREEN...

Now it looks like there are quite a few types of Simple Green....Crystal looks like the best option as it is fragrance free and can be used for 02 cylinders.
But I dont see that in the shops,only the industrial stuff and stuff for removing algae and mould.

Any help as to which type of Simple Green would be would be very appreciated...

Thanks in advance...
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: SIMPLE GREEN

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:52 am

NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:57 am

NEMES1S wrote:So I need to clean them,and Andy told me while back use SIMPLE GREEN...

Wo, wo, wo, wo! I thought you're problem was the cylinder, not the regs!

I'm fairly comfortably cleaning the inside of a cylinder with simple green, rinsing and drying it properly. But I'm not sure I'd go dunking my regs in the stuff!

You're better off getting some advice from a reg technician rather than me on this.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:02 am

Andy wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:So I need to clean them,and Andy told me while back use SIMPLE GREEN...

Wo, wo, wo, wo! I thought you're problem was the cylinder, not the regs!

I'm fairly comfortably cleaning the inside of a cylinder with simple green, rinsing and drying it properly. But I'm not sure I'd go dunking my regs in the stuff!

You're better off getting some advice from a reg technician rather than me on this.

I have talked with two reg guys in Welly and they have said Simple Green is the one to use...(But I wanted to find out which type specifically,as there are a few types of Simple Green..)
I may just take them out to them and get it done with them then,I was under the impression it was a realitvely simple operation.
I am guessing it perhaps isnt,I was mainly concerened with how much to dilute it by 1/10 or....??

Sorry Andy didnt mean to drop you in it so to speak... :oops:
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:19 am

NEMES1S wrote:I may just take them out to them and get it done with them then,I was under the impression it was a realitvely simple operation.

It probably is! Depends on exactly what you are cleaning, e.g. first stage, second stage, and what needs to be re-lubed after the cleaning etc. If it's first stage, then filters might need to be changed.

Like I say, I don't do regs - it takes me so long, it's more cost effective to just get someone to do them for me. :D
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Nem you're looking at a complete tear down and rebuild if your wanting to remove odours using SG. Personally I'd look at purging several tanks worth of air through first and see if it didn't dissipate then look at the more complex solutions...
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Tomo from Dive HQ said he will sort it out for me using the SIMPLE GREEN all purpose cleaner,he said he will only run it through the pipes as I was intending on doing,but for $10 you cant beat it as the stuff itself costs $20 just for a small amount,he will run it un-diluted through the pipes and then rinse and rinse and then blow air through it and then check and repeat the process until sorted.

Nice work thanks a lot for the input guys...!!
NEMES1S

Postby DiveDR » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Just make sure the simple green has not washed away any of your lube :idea:
If you are using anything other than air I would not risk it.
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:29 pm

DiveDR wrote:Just make sure the simple green has not washed away any of your lube :idea:
If you are using anything other than air I would not risk it.

Lube from within the first stage...???

I told him not to bother with the first stage,he said he will rinse the second stage and the two hoses only...
NEMES1S

Postby binklebonk » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:56 pm

I would imagine the orings in the barrel assemblies will need to be relubed at the very least after the SG is used.. I've never used the stuff myself so wouldn't know for sure but it is a degreaser and I can't imagine it wouldn't shift the lube in ya regs.
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:06 pm

I use Simple Green for a lot things, dive related and not.... it will definitely strip the lube.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DiveDR » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:33 pm

As a good friend of mine would say:

There is always time for lubricant :D
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby binklebonk » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:04 am

DiveDR wrote:As a good friend of mine would say:

There is always time for lubricant :D

Edit- thought it best to retain PG rating for the thread so removed comment :lol:
binklebonk

Postby JohnSymons » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:22 am

Hey Nem,

When myself and our other tech are doing service work, the only time that we need to use simple green is if we are cleaning for 40-100% O2 cleaned. Sub-40% its not necessary and use an ultrasonic cleaning solution recommended by the reg manufacturers. With that said when we do O2 cleaning it does involve a whole rebuild as does any contamination from not having dust cap in place properly (at least of the first stage).

John
JohnSymons

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs