Different Regs

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Different Regs

Postby ChrisB » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:38 pm

I know each manufacturer have their own designs for regulators, but is there a noticable difference? Can you tell if a ScubaPro reg breathes differently to Apeks, Zeagle etc???

And how do you decide which suits what types of diving? Are some better designed than others???
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Re: Different Regs

Postby Andy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Can't remember who it was, maybe Packhorse or Azza, but someone used to have the signature line "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has got one".

Everyone will have an opinon about regs!

For what it's worth, if you stick to the major brands you'll find roughly the same ease of breathing across the brands for the same pricepoint. A $800 Scubapro reg will breathe roughly the same as a $800 Aqualung reg.

I'd pick regs on the basis of a number of things - type, do I want piston or diaphragm? Do I want enironmentally sealed? In terms of features, how many HP/LP ports and where they are placed and so on. But I'd also look at cost of servicing, availablity of parts etc. There's no point having the best reg in the world if it can't be serviced.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:21 pm

Andy wrote: "Opinions are like assholes, "
Everyone else's stinks!
ChuckyBob

Postby Cameron_R » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:27 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:
Andy wrote: "Opinions are like assholes, "
Everyone else's stinks!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Funny because it's true.
Cameron_R

Postby NEMES1S » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Here comes the the opinions...ha ha ha :lol:

For me people rave about Scubapro* regs but I have yet to breathe off one that out does my AQUALUNG Legends or Pete's AQUALUNG Titan's which I have dived with quite a few times as they used to be my favorite rental reg at IBD.
The Aqualung regs just seem to be an easier breathe,also found Binklebonks APEKS regs a good breathe too.

I currently have AQUALUNG Legends for the twins and dive on a Zeagle Flathead 6 for my single tank dives and initally I found the Zeagles hard to breathe off but Bink' soon sorted that out as they had just been serviced and they were set very high,few tweaks and they are now breathing very well.
Still not as easy as the AQUALUNG set but still very very good at what they do,the Flathead 6 is according to the website primarily a reg for technical diving,but it does have all the bells and whistles like the Legend...value for money Zeagle for me definately leads the game... :D

Scuba Review wrote:
Zeagle Flathead VI
This is (was,there is a FH7 now) Zeagle’s top of the line regulator. It’s intended mainly for technical diving, but of course it will perform well in recreational dives as well. The reg comes with DIN configuration, with an available YOKE adapter.

FLATHEAD-VI FIRST STAGE FEATURES:
* High Performance Porting
* Conical Precision HP valve
* Dry Environmental Seal with Hydro Transmitter
* Unrestricted airflow path
* Balanced Diaphragm
* Yoke or DIN inlet available
* 4 Low Pressure Ports (3/8”-24 UNF)
* 2 High Pressure Ports (7/16”-20 UNF)
* Weight 2.18 lb. (.99 kg.)
* Intermediate Pressure: 135-150 psi (9-10 bar)

ZX SECOND STAGE FEATURES:
* Downstream valve
* Balanced Diaphragm
* Dive/Pre Dive Venturi Control
* Diver Adjustable Breathing Sensitivity
* Anti-Freeze heat transfer device
* Weight: .54 lb. (.26 kg) ( w/o hose)
* Hose Length: 30 in. (.76 m)

Instructors who have dived with this regulator claim that it works extremely well in any condition.
The only drawback is the relatively big and heavy first stage.

Scuba Lab has given this regulator a perfect “20 out of 20″ score.

*This could be due to poor tuning like the Zeagle
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby binklebonk » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Tragically, recent independant studies (utilising double blind tests) have conclusively found that amongst men between the ages of 16 to 85, diving with anything other than an Apeks regulator will leave them unable to satisfy their lovers.

The researchers were unable to identify the cause of the results but conceded that it may have been a self selecting group [of losers] that chose to use anything but Apeks, much in the way that some will be drawn to a bouyancy compensator with an "UP LEVER"
_ Binky news.
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:23 pm

binklebonk wrote:Tragically, recent independant studies (utilising double blind tests) have conclusively found that amongst men between the ages of 16 to 85, diving with anything other than an Apeks regulator will leave them unable to satisfy their lovers.

The researchers were unable to identify the cause of the results but conceded that it may have been a self selecting group [of losers] that chose to use anything but Apeks, much in the way that some will be drawn to a bouyancy compensator with an "UP LEVER"
_ Binky news.

Boy what a relief the Zeagle and Apeks gear crosses over.... :lol: :lol:
NEMES1S

Postby binklebonk » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:34 pm

Ah Nem.. The studies findings on Zeagle users was... Oh nevermind you're a young man with at least 2 years of carefree frivolity left.

As you can tell I have nothing to contribute here.. But I am stuck at work so I won't let a lack of relevance ruin my evening... If Andy hadn't covered the issue so succinctly there may have been more constructive things to say.. :wink:

Ooh hang on I..... No it's gone..
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:55 pm

binklebonk wrote:As you can tell I have nothing to contribute here.. But I am stuck at work so I won't let a lack of relevance ruin my evening... If Andy hadn't covered the issue so succinctly there may have been more constructive things to say.. :wink:

There's always a difference between constructive and worthwhile!!!! :lol:

:!: :!: OPINION WARNING :!: :!:

I love Scubapro MK17 first stages, environmental sealing is worth it's weight in gold in cold water. NZ doesn't really constitute as cold, but we'll take our regs on our next trip to Canada - expected water temp is 6 degC at depth. That's cold. If I only dived in NZ, I'd probably for MK25 first stages on the basis of better house routing.

Most first stages deliver more air than any one person can breathe - I think it was one of the Mares first stages (V.42?) that has 20 or people breathing off it in 8 degC water and didn't freeze. That's just nuts.

Second stages, a lot of people like adjustable second stages - e.g. Scubapro S600, G250V etc. Nice, in the sense that you can adjust it to the point of freeflowing then back a bit, makes for very easy breathing. But then my R395 second stages breathe fine at 60m.... maybe if the first stage wasn't "over-delivering" air, then an adjustable second stage would make sense?

I like Apeks, particularly now you can get a modified DST first stage that gives you a LP port on the end of the reg. Would make them route much better with both single long hose and twin tanks. Servicing costs seem a little higher than SP.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:28 am

NEMES1S wrote:the Flathead 6 is according to the website primarily a reg for technical diving,but

What is the difference between a reg for rec diving vs tech?
ChuckyBob

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 am

ChuckyBob wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:the Flathead 6 is according to the website primarily a reg for technical diving,but

Dont ask me mate, just quoting them... :D
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:01 am

ChuckyBob wrote:

Robustness, reliability, ease of breathing at greater depths, hose routing....

I take your point, all regulators are equal - but some are more equal than others.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChrisB » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:01 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/SCUBA-s ... 716439.htm

Came across these the other night - has anyone used cressi regs before and are they nice to breath from??

Also is it better to buy 1st stage and reg as a combo or can you mix/match 1st/reg/octi from different manufacturers??
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:28 pm

Never used one before but Cressi have been around a while. My guess is that it would be a reasonable reg.

Question is who will service it for you and are they familiar with Cressi regs? It has lots of shiny new patents on it so could be very different from run of the mill regs.
Personally I much prefer regs with user adjustments so you can tune it during a dive to offer peak performance. You simply cant get peak performance from a reg if it isnt user adjustable. Its always going to be under tuned to avoid free flow or .. well free flowing!
ChuckyBob

Postby NEMES1S » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:32 pm

Not going to go too far into it but I have seen what happens to Cressi regs and Aqualung regs that have been in the rental bin for a while and taken some typical customer abuse*...The Aqualung Titans were older and still on top.

*Customer abuse (Bashed on rocks,tanks dropped on them,dragged tank around by second stage,tank lifted by yoke,dragged along the bottom in silt,left in the tidal zone and wash filled them with sand or pebbles,thrown in back of a Ute or 4x4....etc etc) Its amazing how people treat things when they arent theirs.. :roll:
NEMES1S

Next

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs