Reg servicing

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Reg servicing

Postby kevfish » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:41 pm

Being, relatively, new to the NZ dive world - how much do places charge for reg servicing? I am a qualified 'technician' for most makes and was wondering what the market was like to do some servicing work!!

So, how much for a full set of gear?
Apeks/Aqualung
Scubapro
Mares
Poseidon
Oceanic
Not Sherwood (never much demand in UK)

Just to give me an idea 8)
Kevin Delonge
www.oceanblue.co.nz Poor Knights Liveaboards
'It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand as a sheep' - Alison Hargreaves RIP
kevfish

Postby DiveDiva » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:27 pm

I usually get charged about $70 when I put my regs in for a full service and then any extra parts that are needed cost extra.

In fact my regs are being serviced now so I'll let you know if Phil at Kaiapoi Dive Shop does a better deal :wink:

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Packhorse » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:23 pm

$70 is way cheap. Is that for 1st and both 2nds? And including anual replacement parts or is it just an inspection? What regs do you use DD?

Last time I got someone to service my regs (and I mean last time ever) it cost $170. Backup reg freeflowed and exhaust diaphram was folded over.
Since I have brought the oxy hackers reg book a scubapro reg service manual tools and parts and do my own.
Packhorse

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm

Packhorse wrote:$70 is way cheap. Is that for 1st and both 2nds? And including anual replacement parts or is it just an inspection?

That's very good!

I got my regs serviced a couple of years at a shop in AKL, mentioning no names, and the service cost was over $300.

Really annoying as I'd lent them to someone who'd washed them without putting the dustcap on, and they didn't even offer to help pay the cost.

I just got the same regs serviced by someone else, and the price was around $180. A huge difference.

My main reg, a S/pro MK17 with R390 2nd stage (no octi) cost my under a hundy to get serviced.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Packhorse » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:44 pm

Andy. If you or anyother Scubapro owner wants to service them yourself I am more than happy to help out by lending you my SP reg manuals, tools, connections for parts and what little knowledge I have.
$300 per year is so expencive. At that price you maybe better to buy disposable regs.
Packhorse

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:06 pm

Packhorse wrote:$300 per year is so expencive. At that price you maybe better to buy disposable regs.

Yes. With instructor discount, I can nearly afford to buy a new set at that price!!!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby UXB » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:52 am

I've had some nasty experiences with getting regs serviced. Usually spend between $140 and & $200 on a routine service.
Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with spending money on ensuring my gear is tip top, but I loathe getting stuff back thinking I could do a better job myself.
I've recently been researching regs as I need to get a set for my wife, and one model I'm looking at has had a recall put out on it for "catastrophically" failing. Ie the body of the first stage gets a huge crack in it and basically blows apart :shock: . The manufacturer sites the reason as being the Yoke nut is over torqued. If something as simple as torqueing a nut incorrectly can put your life at risk, then I'd want to be trusting my reg tech.
KevFish I'd potentially be some business for you
Could be a great excuse to come away with you and meet Kosh :D
Last edited by UXB on Tue May 15, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UXB

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:00 am

Phone up all the LDS's Kevfish and ask them in a cunning and disguised manner how much they charge for 'x' reg servicing?

I think if you put the word about in Tut's and were reliable and efficient you'd get quite a lot of local work too.

Incidently Scubapro regs have free servicing for life. So if you are the original owner you only pay for parts.

Gotta be worth buying new just for that i reckon.
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Azza » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:42 am

Martin-PK Divers wrote:
Incidently Scubapro regs have free servicing for life. So if you are the original owner you only pay for parts.

As long as you do get it serviced every year, before its due date or the free parts deal is null and void
Azza

Postby kevfish » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:19 pm

Martin-PK Divers wrote:Phone up all the LDS's Kevfish and ask them in a cunning and disguised manner how much they charge for 'x' reg servicing?

I think if you put the word about in Tut's and were reliable and efficient you'd get quite a lot of local work too.

Yeah, sort of done that a bit - pretty pricey up here in ther North :)

Since when have SP had free servicng for life?? They always had a lifetime guarantee on major parts, but only Oceanic used to offer free servicing. Also it makes no sense having to pay for parts if it's free from the manufacturor!!?? Oceanic used to provide free parts and you'd only pay for labour, which means the shop/engineer gets paid for their time. The manufacturor can't dictate to the world how much their time is worth, surely!!??

Have to look into cost of getting kits etc here, but was looking at about $125 for a basic service on a 1st stage and 2 2nd stages. Sadly 8) can't do sherwood as never had the need to before!!

Anyway, out for a 7 day trip on Saturday, so will have some time to think about it some more :)
Kevin Delonge
'It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand as a sheep' - Alison Hargreaves RIP
kevfish

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:27 pm

Yeah, not sure about SP servicing for life? I've always had to pay parts and labour.

There's variation between the various shops here in AKL. So, for example, DiveHQ West Auckland charge a flat rate for a reg service + parts, whereas other places charge an hourly rate plus parts.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:59 pm

My ten sets of regs i've just bought-All SP. All lifetime free servicing. For the original owner. For the 'lifetime' of the regs. SP dictate what the 'lifetime' is. These are all rental regs so i have to get them serviced annually.

Lots of manufacturers do this across many different areas. You pay for parts they pay labour. This is because manufacturers DO dictate how much your labour is worth. This stems from the automobile industry where unscupulous dealers and service agents would charge manufacturers and customers unreasonable times for warranty repairs and standard servicing. The manufacturers soon caught on to this and put a stop to it. Issuing 'standardised' times for servicing and warranty.
I think this is actually very very good for the customer ironically. You can check with Yamaha for instance how long it takes for a 100 hour service on your outboard. They say x hours and the dealer has to charge you that. Whether it takes them longer is their issue not yours as the customer. Same with a standard service on a car, SLR cam, etc. etc.

For instance. Tech has had heavy night drinking and don't feel like working hard today, so your 2 hour job takes 4. Why should you pay for this? You shouldn't the Tech should. Nowadays he will too.

So get in touch with the manufacturer and ask for the times. If they can't give it to you ask them why not? Why would you pay for 4hrs of work when it only takes 30 mins?
Martin-PK Divers

Postby kevfish » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:28 pm

Actually, thinking back, we used to get that deal on our school/hire gear back in the UK, but it was totally unrelated to anything that we sold - that fell under the general Limited Lifetime Warranty. I think it was introduced to keep hire gear in peak condition (most servicing was done in house at no cost) and thus provided great advertising for Scubapro. Can't find any mention of free servicing on any SP website and as you say it is a great selling point - we used to sell loads of Oceanic regs on the back of theirs, which they advertised heavily in all the dive mags/shows/etc.

We always charged for how long it should take - plenty of reasons for it to take a bit longer, even without a hangover. Do they dictate how much your time is worth though? They'd have to produce a different rate for each country/province/town etc????? I do remember the introduction of semi-fixed rates for servicing of cars etc, but they still make their margins on oil, filters, plugs, etc - ie parts.

It would be good if manufacturors had the same (or even very similar) products and services across the globe - SP are one of the best to be fair.
Kevin Delonge
kevfish

Postby Packhorse » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:01 pm

Martin-PK Divers wrote:
For instance. Tech has had heavy night drinking and don't feel like working hard today, so your 2 hour job takes 4. Why should you pay for this? You shouldn't the Tech should. Nowadays he will too.

This is something that has always annoyed me with servicing. A good tech should be able to do the job quickly and well. While a not so good tech will take longer and not do as good a job. And yet you end up paying more.

I dont charge by the hour but have a set price per job. Some jobs may take twice as long to do so I dont make as much on those ones and others I can do quick so it makes up for it. Also my customers love knowing what it will cost them from the start and not having any suprises at the end.

I had to pay a tech 4 hours labour to diagnose a fault fixed in 5 minutes last month. Sure time is money but had he been a bit more switched on the cost may have been minimum rate. :evil:
Packhorse

Postby Space Kat (=^.^=) » Tue May 15, 2007 9:09 pm

Every single piece of kit I have had "Professionally" serviced has failed first time out.. I have vowed to never pay for reg servicing again and instead be better informed and do the job myself (used to be a motor mechanic so have a bit of nowse in that direction).

But parts are the issue.. it seems the SCUBA industry is extremely negligent when it comes to making parts available so you HAVE to go through a service agent.. this is something that is VERY WRONG in this industry and it must be corrected. I allege that it is more negligent to refuse access to necessary parts than it is to allow the sale of necessary parts to unqualified service technicians. At the end of the day it comes down to individual responsibility.

I can walk into Repco and buy brake pads for my car without being a qualified trade person so why can't I buy replacement seats and o-rings for a simple scuba regulator.

This brings me to my next question - can anyone get ahold of a service kit for a Mares MR12 !!!??
Space Kat (=^.^=)

Next

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs