Halcyon Infinity System

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Halcyon Infinity System

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:34 am

I was in Global Dive on Friday when they took delivery of a couple of new "Infinity" systems from Halcyon.

Even though I am biased, this is a genius product from the Big H!!! Looking at photos and descriptions, I have to admit that I was sceptical of whether it would (a) work, and (b) stay true to the minimalist roots that brought Halcyon into existence in the first place.

It certainly ticks both those boxes, and comes with some very clever features!

This is what the system looks like:

Basically, it's a standard Halcyon backplate and wing, with continuous weave harness.... I am the first to admit that it takes time to get used to continuous weave harnesses, when properly adjusted they can be a bit of a struggle to get in and out of until you get the knack of it. The Infinity takes that hassle away - I am so tempted to buy one of these for small boat diving, which would make getting the kit off in the water so easy.

The system also comes with padded back and shoulder straps - one of the barriers with BP/W is they don't look comfortable (try one and you'll find that they *are* very comfy!) but this system really does look as comfy as a pair of slippers! For warm water diving in a rash vest, I'm in!

The really nice thing is that the 'cinch plate' that makes the Infinity work can be retro-fitted to existing Halcyon systems... but can also be removed from these systems to turn them into a standard harness.

If you like the idea of a BP/W, but think that they are either uncomfortable or don't like the idea of the continuous weave harness, then these are well worth a look..... get yourself down to Global and talk to Tom or Jack about these systems - a legendary piece of design!
Andy
Serial Poster

Re: Halcyon Infinity System

Postby justsimon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:44 am

The system also comes with padded back and shoulder straps

:lol:
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:46 am

Nice, Saw these being discussed on a few other forums a while back and it seems there is a retrofit kit available for existing rigs. Is it available in NZ yet? (I think it's just the hardware and webbing) I'd be keen to have something a bit easier for small boat diving as well. Though I'm not interested in the padding weirdness... :P
binklebonk

Postby binklebonk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:51 am

This set up could bring hog rigs more easily into rental gear as well being so easily adjusted. It would have to be more cost effective having modular rental gear.
binklebonk

Postby Paul » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:02 am

Good to see Halcyon catching up with the other brands out there. That systems looks like it might be as comfortable and amazing as my trasnpac LOL

Couldn't resist. :D

One reason often over looked for having that padding between you and the backplate is that the backplate....especially when against a wetsuit... acts as a giant heat sink sucking the heat out of your body all that bit quicker. At least I was always able to feel the cold steel though my suit.

One thing that rig seams to be missing is a place to put your snorkel and the safety saussage. Where are the pockets? :D :D :D
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:06 am

justsimon wrote:
The system also comes with padded back and shoulder straps

:lol:

I know, I was sceptical! But the padded straps are just velcro'd around the webbing. I'm actually tempted to get a pair for my twinset harness! The padded back still works as a storage pack, which is a nice feature.

binklebonk wrote:Nice, Saw these being discussed on a few other forums a while back and it seems there is a retrofit kit available for existing rigs. Is it available in NZ yet? (I think it's just the hardware and webbing) I'd be keen to have something a bit easier for small boat diving as well. Though I'm not interested in the padding weirdness... :P

Yeah, I believe the Halcyon importer has a number of them in stock now - with more arriving soon. Not quite sure what's included in the upgrade pack.

Pete wrote:Where are the shoulder clips? :P

You don't need them. I was surprised just how easy it was to adjust the harness - literally, you just pull the waist straps to tighten, and pull the shoulder straps to loosen. It is genius. The security of continuous weave, with the ease of use of clips. The really nice thing is the way that the accessories (e.g. weight pockets) are actually attached to the plate so the position of them doesn't move as you adjust the harness.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:07 am

Paul wrote:One thing that rig seams to be missing is a place to put your snorkel

You were looking in the wrong place Paul..
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:11 am

Paul wrote:
One reason often over looked for having that padding between you and the backplate is that the backplate....especially when against a wetsuit... acts as a giant heat sink sucking the heat out of your body all that bit quicker. At least I was always able to feel the cold steel though my suit.

I dont think so. Water absorbs heat faster than stainless steel.
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:14 am

So the harness is not threaded twice thru the plate at the lower corners? Perhaps just once with a big opening to easily allow tightening/loosening of the shoulder staps?
Is that how it works? Seems too simple.
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:21 am

ChuckyBob wrote:So the harness is not threaded twice thru the plate at the lower corners? Perhaps just once with a big opening to easily allow tightening/loosening of the shoulder staps?
Is that how it works? Seems too simple.

There's a plate that bolts across the back of the backplate that replaces the triglides on the standard harness, that incorporates a kind roller that allows the harness to move when under tension. Yeah, it's very simple.

You can put triglides onto the harness webbing at the point of "perfect fit", they then jam up against the roller to stop you over tightening the harness.

There are some videos on the Halcon website - this one shows the adjustment: http://www.halcyon.net/node/270.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:23 am

There's also some of the prototypes etc on the Halcyon site:

http://www.halcyon.net/node/267
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 am

Ah good the vid says that you can get the cinch system without having to get the padding. Good stuff!
binklebonk

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:32 am

Andy wrote:the 'cinch plate' that makes the Infinity work

Dumb question from the ultimate anti-handy guy .... what in the world is a cinch plate?
Cameron_R

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:37 am

Cameron_R wrote:
Andy wrote:the 'cinch plate' that makes the Infinity work

Dumb question from the ultimate anti-handy guy .... what in the world is a cinch plate?

It's the widget that bolts to the backplate to the let the harness adjust.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:37 am

I think the "cinch plate" is a spin off technology from the LHC project. Turns out the "Infinity" system utilises the "Higgs-Boson" particle.. Cool huh? :wink:
binklebonk

Next

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs