Halcyon Infinity System

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Re: Halcyon Infinity System

Postby Paul » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:40 am

You were looking in the wrong place Paul..

As always, an appropriate picture for the discussion binky!

I dont think so. Water absorbs heat faster than stainless steel.

Might have been in my head then, but the steel felt cold on my back, and that made me feel colder, so had to end dives earlier.

The padding feels warmer, and I didn't get as cold as quickly in the same temp water. So I ended up with longer more comfortable dives. In my head or not... I'll take it. :D

Could have been that the plate being tight on my back, was compressing the suit, and then increasing the surface area exposed to the cold water.
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:52 am

In all honesty, it looks to me like they are trying to copy the Dive Rite Transpac concept. Comfort (Padding) and adjustability. And market to a much larger customer base.

Business is war and it never takes long for any company to change their focus (or soften their stance in this case) when there are more dollars to be made elsewhere.
Cameron_R

Postby binklebonk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:57 am

Hard to tell if it's a softening of stance, as the webbing is still one piece and I've never been able to tell what Halcyons stance is.. Trying to disentangle the forum BS from what is really being said proves too much for me.
binklebonk

Postby Paul » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:05 am

Business is war and it never takes long for any company to change their focus (or soften their stance in this case) when there are more dollars to be made elsewhere.

I wonder when the split fins are coming :twisted:
Paul

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:07 am

binklebonk wrote:Hard to tell if it's a softening of stance, as the webbing is still one piece and I've never been able to tell what Halcyons stance is.. Trying to disentangle the forum BS from what is really being said proves too much for me.

Very true. I just like a debate every now and then :)

They used to have "DIR diving system" on their equipment. But they took that off a while ago - so I guess they've been distancing the brand from the nazi DIR freaks for some time.

I still maintain that they are copying the Transpac concept.
Cameron_R

Postby binklebonk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:10 am

Perhaps it's more of a winnowing process than emulation. :P
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:39 am

Cameron_R wrote:They used to have "DIR diving system" on their equipment. But they took that off a while ago - so I guess they've been distancing the brand from the nazi DIR freaks for some time.

I still maintain that they are copying the Transpac concept.

Definitely the branding has changed to distance the products from the DIR internet thing. Given that JJ owns Halcyon and is the president of GUE, the two do go kind of hand in hand.... GUE started actively distancing itself from the acronym DIR a few years ago, renaming DIR-Fundementals to GUE-Fundamentals was perhaps the most obvious of several moves.

I don't think they are copying the Transpac as such.... else we'd see many more D rings that you don't really need! :lol:

But I do think that they are targeting the same group of people, whilst at the same time maintaining their pedigree. Everything about the Infinity just looks like it works - it's things like that the fact that you can add in a can light, but the light doesn't move when you adjust the harness. Everything about it is thought out so that you can transition from the Infinity to a standard BP/W (or the other way) and you don't change any of your configuration or procedures. It's definitely not a "sell out", just some very clever business and design strategies.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Paul » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:11 pm

I don't think they are copying the Transpac as such.... else we'd see many more D rings that you don't really need!

Maybe they should call it the H-Pac

".............a transpac but with less bling..........only available in black......." :D
Paul

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Andy wrote:I don't think they are copying the Transpac as such

Copying the concept - Not the actual product.
I liken it to all those new touch phones that have flooded the market after the iPhone. They haven't created a product that looks exactly like the iPhone, or has a user interface exactly the same as the iPhone, but they have certainly copied the concept.

Andy wrote:It's definitely not a "sell out", just some very clever business and design strategies.

Agreed. There is no such thing as a sell out, this is not rock music. Like I said, I think business is war so when ever you can take market share from your competitors - go for it.
Cameron_R

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:39 pm

OK, if anyone wants to try one of these - we've just bought four Infinity systems for our training kit, so they can be hired from us (http://www.techdivenz.com/rental.html).

Or, if you're doing nothing this coming Sunday, you can try one for free! We'll have a couple of single tank set ups at Jones Bay on Sunday at the Tech Dive NZ "Christmas Dive & BBQ". If you're definitely coming, and definitely want to try an Infinity system then drop me a PM so I can make sure we have enough sets on the day.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:19 pm

Andy, before our evening dive tonight Rob may have convinced me that the two are nothing alike, in terms of design and I thought I should stop going on and on about it :roll: But in my mind it all comes down to this cinch thingy.

Andy wrote:It's the widget that bolts to the backplate to the let the harness adjust.

Do you know where I can find close up pics, or a diagram explaining how it works?

When I'm in the mood, I do enjoy a debate just for the sake of debating, so I'd hate to be proven wrong here :lol: !
Cameron_R

Postby ChrisB » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:46 pm

Cameron_R wrote:Do you know where I can find close up pics, or a diagram explaining how it works?

When I'm in the mood, I do enjoy a debate just for the sake of debating, so I'd hate to be proven wrong here :lol: !

Have you tried checking out the video yet??
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:01 pm

ChrisB wrote:Have you tried checking out the video yet??

Yep. They are a users guide on how to use it and/or why to buy it. They don't show how or why it works.

I'm just trying to understand this cinch system vs it's competitors.
Cameron_R

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:11 pm

Cameron_R wrote:Andy, before our evening dive tonight Rob may have convinced me that the two are nothing alike, in terms of design and I thought I should stop going on and on about it :roll: But in my mind it all comes down to this cinch thingy.

Andy wrote:It's the widget that bolts to the backplate to the let the harness adjust.

Do you know where I can find close up pics, or a diagram explaining how it works?

Well, I guess the only argument that holds water is that the Transpac has been around a long time.... if the big H had wanted to copy the concept, they probably would have done it a long time ago.

I doubt that the perceived market has grown that significantly in the last few years that they'd only start copying it now.

The cinch plate is a lot different from the harness plates used on the Transpac and Transplate, both in terms of what it does and where it is.

Videos from the Halcyon website are probably the best option - the "installing" video may be the best for getting an eyeball on the cinch plate itself.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Other than the videos, these pages may help:

http://www.halcyon.net/node/267
http://www.halcyon.net/node/262#plate

Or fly up for the weekend and come for a dive at Jones and have a look and a play!
Andy
Serial Poster

PreviousNext

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs