Halcyon regulators soon to be released:

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Halcyon regulators soon to be released:

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:48 am

http://www.halcyon.net/regulators.

How much more would you pay to have a H on your Scubapro reg?

Last edited by ChuckyBob on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChuckyBob

Re: Halcyon regulators sonn to be released

Postby kevfish » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:24 am

I would have paid more if they had changed the awful DIN wheel with somethbing that you can actually grab hold of without shredding your hands :shock:
Kevin Delonge
www.oceanblue.co.nz Poor Knights Liveaboards
'It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand as a sheep' - Alison Hargreaves RIP
kevfish

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:16 am

ChuckyBob wrote:How much more would you pay to have a H on your scubapro reg?

Thousands... :D :D :D
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:33 pm

NEMES1S wrote:
ChuckyBob wrote:How much more would you pay to have a H on your scubapro reg?

Thousands... :D :D :D

:lol:

Im the opposite. If they want me to advertise for them they can pay me! 8)
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:57 pm

I dunno if it's the colour or the acres of plastic on the first stage but to me they look fragile and tacky..

And what a crap din wheel! You'd have thought they'd learn from the mistake apeks made with their shortlived plastic "wheel of pain". Soft, watersoaked, cold fingers on a inevitably burred plastic wheel.. Ouch!

I thought that, IIRC, the reason for stainless clips instead of brass was for this very reason, brass burrs easily (as does plastic) fingers get soft etc..

But then nobody listens to me... I'm still waiting for NASA to apologise for not listening to me over that "letting women drive the shuttle" fiasco..

:P
Last edited by binklebonk on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binklebonk

Re: Halcyon regulators soon to be released:

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:27 pm

The plastic parts are no different to the scubapro versions except SP ones are black which is way cooler. Personally I have no issues with the DIN wheels but I do think they could be improved.
The only real difference I can see is in the MK25 version. They have got rid of the heat exchange fins from the ambient chamber. This may make them more likely to freeze in cold water but I doubt it would make much difference. Actually looking at it there are several differences.
But I do think the MK25 looks cooler though.
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:15 pm

To be honest, the Halcyon reg looks more like a MK20 than a MK25 to me, though I suspect that it entirely cosmetic and the innards are likely to be closer to a MK25:

Personally, I quite like the blue, it's a much needed dash of "savoir faire" to the black and chrome of the SP.

Knowing the Halcyon importer as well as I do, I suspect pricing for the Halcyon regs will be competitive with the Scubapro RRP.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Andy wrote:To be honest, the Halcyon reg looks more like a MK20 than a MK25 to me, though I suspect that it entirely cosmetic and the innards are likely to be closer to a MK25:

Well the 1st MK25's looked just like the MK20's It wasnt till the MK25.2 that the fins got added to the ambient chamber.

My bet is internally they are exactly MK25's

Personally I have removed the plastic caps from my MK25's and the plastic inlet cap.

I would also guess that there is some pricing restrictions on the regs. I doubt SP would produce a reg that is a copy of their own top of the line and let it be sold cheaper.
Not that it worrys me. My 2nd stages are only 30-40 years old so still have a few decades left in them yet and my 1st's are only just run in so they should last 50 years at least as long as SP continue making service kits available.
ChuckyBob

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs