BC for a broader person.

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

BC for a broader person.

Postby Frosty » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Hey guys my wife is showing a fair bit of interest in doing more than just a trial dive. She tried on my BC which is size med and it fits her except the velcro belt is a bit short.
Is she better going to a large size BC or a med and lenthening the velcro strap?
Frosty

Re: BC for a broader person.

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Most BCs have a means for making the velcro strap longer or shorter, so that is an option. Try that, but also try the larger size as well.

You can also take a look at the BCs that are specifically shaped for the female form.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Andy wrote:Most BCs have a means for making the velcro strap longer or shorter, so that is an option. Try that, but also try the larger size as well.

You can also take a look at the BCs that are specifically shaped for the female form.

(Or just get a BP/W)
ChuckyBob

Postby Frosty » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Andy wrote:Most BCs have a means for making the velcro strap longer or shorter, so that is an option. Try that, but also try the larger size as well.

I'm assuming you mean getting someone to simply stitch in an extention?
Frosty

Postby GoatFish » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Frosty wrote:

I'm assuming you mean getting someone to simply stitch in an extention?

If you lie the bc flat and open it out follow the cummerbund (velcro strap) towards the back padding and have a nosey back around there. Some BC's have adjustments at the back that allow for the strap to be lengthened...

Failing that you can purchase extensions.
You have been touched by the Goat....
GoatFish

Postby binklebonk » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Or as has been suggested already you could cut out all the if and buts and get a backplate and wing set up.

It's better and no chance of it not fitting.
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:08 pm

binklebonk wrote:Or as has been suggested already you could cut out all the if and buts and get a backplate and wing set up.

It's better and no chance of it not fitting.

Whilst I agree with Rob (and Greg), I also think that it's really up to a person to want to have something.

Frosty - I've got a spare backplate and wing, if your missus wanted to try one then I'm happy to go for another splash in the lake. Bring the kids, have a barbeque after the dive etc. As they say, the proof of the pudding.....

If your wife wants a traditional stab jacket, though, there's nothing that anyone can do to change her mind! 8)
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Frosty » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:35 pm

sorry guys I missed the comment about BP and wing.
Frankly she's got no preconceived ideas -and I don't wanna give her any
She's as happy as a pig in poop because she JUST fits a size 14 steamer so a wetsuits gonna be fine.
Andy -thanks for the offer mon and I'm keen for another splash anytime.-gotta sort out this danged gear setup.
My wife only has snorkle gear at the moment--so no BC/regs/tank weight belt etc.
Frosty

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs