Female Divers- Fin recommandations ???

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

Female Divers- Fin recommandations ???

Postby CristinnaP » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:21 am

Hey all,

I need new fins. I hated my ScubaPro Jet fins (purchased in 2005) because my legs cramped all the time and they are so wide, they almost don't fit in my suitcase. I have been using Force Fins for the past two years but they are ready for retirement.
Plus I can't take any more comments about my "little blue ducky fins" from my dive buddies. :lol: I just saw something on Dipndive.com , some Cressi Gara 3000 fins. They look ok in the photo, but... it takes more then a simple pic to convince me now.

Any advice for me?

Thx
CristinnaP

Re: Female Divers- Fin recommandations ???

Postby Phantom Menace » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:26 am

The Cressi Gara 3000 (and the softer 3000 LD) are more suited to spearfishing and free-diving given their length. This would be particularly true if you were planning on doing wreck and cave dives where space may be limited and you want to avoid stirring up silt etc.

A friend has the Cressis and loves them - but he is a spearo / free-diver.
Phantom Menace

Postby Mykl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:50 pm

I purchased split fins because I read that they did not make your legs cramp up so much which was a problem I experienced on just about every dive on my OWD course. I still get the occasional cramp with them but nowhere near as much as with conventional fins.

The main problem with split fins is they are not as effective when in a decent current. I have a buddy who uses ScubaPro Jet Fins and he effortlessly swims away from me in any sort of a current.

I use Apollo Bio-fins with spring straps.
Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal disease
Mykl

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Generally speaking...
Split fins are "high RPM fins". ie need lots of effortless kicks to get you anywhere. They also make you look like a seal. Not a good thing if sharks are around.
Jet fins require a bit more effort. And are more negative.
Freediving fins are low RPM fins. They require lot of effort but give you heaps of thrust.

I use Hollis F1 fins.They are in the Jet category.
I used to use freediving fins with my wetsuit but I broke one and it was cheaper to buy wetsuit boots that fitted the F1's than new freediving fins.

Not sure if any of that helps.... but for one thing take fin weight into consideration. It can have a big impact on your dive trim.
ChuckyBob

Postby Ali Perkins » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:36 am

If you're cramping there could be an issue with your finning technique, not your fins. I'm female and I do 4 hour dives with jet fins without any cramping issues.

I suggest holding onto your jets and looking into a GUE Fundamentals course. There is a strong focus on finning techniques in the course. It will change your diving in a really positive way.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs