backplate and wing question

What do you have and why? Looking to buy some equipment but got some question? Post here.

backplate and wing question

Postby sugee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi folks,

So after looking around and reading the internet and whats what I think I made up my mind and will be getting a bpw system. Now from my observation tend to indicate that bp/w are mostly used for technical diving? Being pretty new to this sport, would it be advisable to use bp/w for recreational purpose? I have prepaid my adv dive course that hopefully I'll finish in the not too distant future.

Any good and not so expensive setup you can recommend would be awesome too..

Sugi
sugee

Re: backplate and wing question

Postby ChrisB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:16 pm

In my opinion get yourself into a bp/w as soon as money allows - it does take a little bit to get used to, but you'll find it easier to transition into technical diving if thats the direction you want to go. I have both a single and double system that use the same backplate - therefore finding the right fitting gear is really simple.

Just my 2c worth - Im sure others will tell you similar things... Enjoy
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:34 pm

I could never understand why a BPW is considered technical equipment. Its simply a well thought out modular system. It works well for rec and tech.

Get one. You wont regret it. Just make sure it suits your current requirements. Get a single tank wing for single tank diving. get a twin tank wing for twin tanks. Dont mix them up. They dont work, even if someone tells you they will.

Personally I prefer a steel plate over a aluminium plate. It means less weight on the belt.
ChuckyBob

Postby sugee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Yes that was my intention going with bpw, ultimately doing technical dive in the long run. I thought with a jacket style i might have to sell and replace with another type along the way. bpw will allow me to adapt by swapping wing etc when i advance myself.

I saw the steel was like 2.6kg while ss/alu more like 0.8kg? So yeah the weight will probably be in favour for using less weight in your belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
sugee

Postby divepirate » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:19 am

BPW is good for 2 reason2.
NZ diving and tropics diving.

In NZ you can use the SS and change to Alloy for the tropics.
This way you wont have to muck around with your weight too much when you travel.
Also it will result in less weight for airlines.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby sugee » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:00 pm

I think i've made up my mind after visiting a few lds today.. Heres the list of BC gear that I'd like to get now for single tank setup. Apparently I've been told to try without using sta and if I needed one I can always add later on.

- diverite stainless steel plate
- diverite deluxe harness with quick release,
- 1.5" crotch strap with quick release,
- voyager xt wing,
- 2 tank straps
- two diverite gravity weight system 32lbs pockets.

The above setup would cost 548 usd which roughly equal to 630nzd with free shipping to nz.

What do you guys think? Also what is the words on diverite regulators, first and second stages.
sugee

Postby binklebonk » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:06 am

Hi Sugee

That wing setup should be fine.

If I were you, I would go with the simple one piece webbing harness first as it is the simplest, less clutter option then if you feel you need a quick release once you've tried it then just cut the webbing and add a weight belt buckle.

Those plastic buckles can be unreliable, whereas the metal weight bet buckles are bomber.

DIverite regs are a fairly reliable middle of the road choice of reg. Certainly for the price you can get them on dive gear express at the moment they are a great deal.
binklebonk

Postby sugee » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 pm

binklebonk wrote:Hi Sugee

That wing setup should be fine.

If I were you, I would go with the simple one piece webbing harness first as it is the simplest, less clutter option then if you feel you need a quick release once you've tried it then just cut the webbing and add a weight belt buckle.

Those plastic buckles can be unreliable, whereas the metal weight bet buckles are bomber.

DIverite regs are a fairly reliable middle of the road choice of reg. Certainly for the price you can get them on dive gear express at the moment they are a great deal.

Cool so you've dealt with divegearexpress before? They do free international shipping. The only thing im worried is custom tax when it get here. What was the threshold before they start charging tax and levies?

I will see how much difference pricewise does it make compared with simple one piece webbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
sugee

Postby binklebonk » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:59 pm

Yes I've bought many times from DGX and never a hassle.

For me the simplicity isn't (or wasn't when I dived OC) about price. It was about not having anything on my gear that was going to break or get in the way. That's the beauty of a single piece webbing harness. Once you go putting plastic buckles on it then you start having stuff breaking on you. The harness on my rebreather has plastic buckles and as soon as I have arrived at a suitable replacement harness I'll be getting rid of them.

You won't get charged any customs duty unless you try and bring in a wetsuit.

You will get hit for GST if over $400 NZD.

But still a big saving.
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:56 pm

I second BB's recommendation of plain webbing. I always used use it. Single tank, twins and now my rEvo. But I have added a quick release belt buckle on the left hand side. It makes getting out of it very easy and has never come undone by its self. If you need any webbing let me know. I have a great big roll of it. Then all you need is 1 or 2 buckles a few D rings and triglides. Harness will probably cost less than $40
ChuckyBob

Postby sugee » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Noted.. Plastic buckles equals less reliable. The setup i mentioned earlier is actually from DGE. The only plastic bit is the chest strap the rest is one piece webbing with metal waist buckle. There are no QR on the harness.

LDS Dive doctor here will price me this setup on monday and if not too much difference then i will just get it off from them i think.

Thanks for the custom's duty note, luckily i've got my wetsuit locally already.

Now you got me thinking of just getting the plate and wing [chuckybob]
sugee

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:03 pm

Think I've joined the party a little late, but there is nothing wrong with BP&W and OPH for recreational diving. I've dived with nothing else since 2006, although I do have a single break in my harness. Having said that, most recreational divers worldwide are using jacket-style BCDs complete with plastic buckles and they don't seem to die very often, at least not through kit failure.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby sugee » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:49 pm

the LDS have comeback with pricing for diverite bp/wing harness kit, problem is ordering from DGE is cheaper. Even with gst added on top the price is still $200 nzd cheaper. Now I'm up with supporting local businesses but I can't justify the differences. Furthermore I have the time to wait.

What do you guys think?

PS: Have anyone had experience with Deep Sea Supply and or Golem bp/wing kit?
sugee

Postby Ali Perkins » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:13 pm

If you buy from overseas and there is an issue you will have to post back at your own expense. Just something to keep in mind compared to purchasing locally.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:16 pm

sugee wrote:
PS: Have anyone had experience with Deep Sea Supply and or Golem bp/wing kit?

DSS and Golem both make top quality gear.
ChuckyBob

Next

Return to BCDs, BP/Ws & Regs