Underwear

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Underwear

Postby Michelle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:50 pm

Ok, this is probably not as interesting as the subject might suggest.

As a recent convert to dry suit diving I have been toying with what to wear underneath my neoprene dry suit. Early on I used army surplus polyprops. As the water got colder I added a tracksuit, which was warmer but a bit bulky.

After a bit of research I managed to source some polartec Power stretch fabric from the states and am now wondering how to make it up; the actual drafting and sewing bit is within my competence, but I'm not sure about the design. Should I make an all in one baby-grow, leggings and top, a farmerjohn type outfit with an additional top? What do you guys wear under your dry suits? Are seams and zips a problem? I've seen a couple of tops with quite high necks; do these make getting the neck seals to sit flat a problem?

Any input would be helpful.
Michelle

Re: Underwear

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:23 pm

I moved from a one piece undersuit, to two piece Fourth Element undergarments. I know a lot of people who use the Xerotherm under neoprene suits in winter, which are a two piece jumper and pants;

My main problem with the one pice 'romper suit' was that it wasn't suit the right size - so lifting arms up was a struggle, as I was pulling the legs up into my crotch. Certainly two piece is more flexible - though there is the chance of the two bits not overlapping properly, and there being a cold spot. I guess more of an issue for those of us who dive membrane suits, as it's really cold when that happens!

I guess that things you want to think about are;

How are you going to "have a private conversation with Mother Nature". One piece is fine for guys if there's a double zip, but for you then you'd probably have to remove the whole thing to below the waist. If you're using this in winter, there's a chance of getting colder than if you had to justs pull down some bottoms. I reckon the farmer john and top would be the worst option for those moments on a cold day where you've just done a long dive and need to go....

How thick is the material? Powerstretch is quite thin, I think? if not. with two piece, you may get too much material where they overlap that could make bending over and other movements harder.

You probably also want to think about how the undies won't ride up around the ankles and wrists. Ankles could be quite easy - I tend to tuck mine into my socks which holds them in place. On my top, the arms are long enough that I can hold them in place when putting the suit on (and have thump loops that do the same), but ever so occasionally they ride up during the dive giving me cold wrists - admittedly when doing things like valve drills, so may not be too much of an issue.

I use, Forth Element Xerotherms in summer and Xerotherm Artics in winter - the neck on the latter is quite high, which makes it nice and toasty wehn just wearing the top. I tend to turn it in on itself before putting my suit on because I like having the latex seal quite low around the throat. Not sure what I'll do with my new suit that has a neoprene neck seal or whether the Artics will interfere or not. No one else I know who dives the Arctics has this issue.

Hope this helps.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby aquakiwi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:27 am

Andy would you consider the Xreotherm warm enough or winter diving? I have just got an Otter Brittanic to replace my Oceandry Xeric and need warmer underwear than I've previously worn.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby DiveDiva » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:32 am

I use the Xerotherm Arctic in winter and I am plenty warm!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome stuff.
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:13 pm

aquakiwi wrote:Andy would you consider the Xreotherm warm enough or winter diving? I have just got an Otter Brittanic to replace my Oceandry Xeric and need warmer underwear than I've previously worn.

Depends on how you feel the cold - I wouldn't be warm enough in the Xerotherm for anything other than a single, shortish dive in winter. You could try layering, mind you? I often wear a little fleece vest over my Xerotherm when it's a bit cooler, but not full on cold.

Like DD, I wear the Arctics in winter - with a polypro base layer. I don't like being cold!

Have you got Xerotherms now? If not, you're more than welcome to try my set sometime (size large). Or you could probably borrow some from Pete Mesley (the importer) in another size if you needed.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby aquakiwi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:01 pm

No I don't have Xerotherm as yet, I have'nt had a decent dive with the Brittanic as yet. I will probably get an Arctics of Pete
when my funds recover. I'll be able to check your guys ones on the 16th hopefully.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Andy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm

aquakiwi wrote:No I don't have Xerotherm as yet, I have'nt had a decent dive with the Brittanic as yet. I will probably get an Arctics of Pete
when my funds recover. I'll be able to check your guys ones on the 16th hopefully.

I'll bring both my sets, Xerotherms and Arctics, you can have a look look at them. I have worn my Arctics in summer, and didn't suffer from being too warm in them apart from on the boat between dives.

The Xerotherms are ideal of wearing around the house on a manky day like today.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:58 pm

has anybody tried the 4thelement Subzero?
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:46 pm

sunkarm wrote:has anybody tried the 4thelement Subzero?

No, but I've had a good look at it.

I think it would be amazing for skiing in, and the top/jacket would look great as "strret wear". I think the salopette/jacket combination would probably be too warm for me - but for colder water or someone who feels the cold then it would probably be the go.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby petemes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:05 pm

aquakiwi wrote:No I don't have Xerotherm as yet, I have'nt had a decent dive with the Brittanic as yet. I will probably get an Arctics of Pete

Talk to Andrew Simo at Global Dive. I have a few Arctics in the shop for the school drysuits. Maybe if you ask Andrew reaaaaly nicely he will lend you one for the weekend. Arctic - the worlds most expensive pajamas!

Pete
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby deepseawreck » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:53 pm

C'mon guys, I used to wear a pair of cotton trousers and a t'shirt under my Northern Divers 5mm - and never got cold - even in Scotland :D
Just don't make 'em like they used to!!
Kevin
deepseawreck

Postby Milky » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:03 pm

with my old bravo neoprene (non-compressed) drysuit, i used only a swimming short and a long sleeve t-shirt. it was fine in a 10 degrees water.

HHmmm...just wondering, what do u guys wear as underwear of your drysuit? and did u feel great or cold or anything....
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Michelle » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:41 am

The only good thing about these storms has been that I've spent a few evenings curled up in fron tof the fire sewing up th polarted powerstretch into my new thermals, and spent one evening with a power cut and sooooo cold that I resorted to wearing them round the house.

All I need know is for the weather to clear up and actually try them in the water.
Michelle

Postby aquakiwi » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:23 pm

petemes wrote:

Talk to Andrew Simo at Global Dive. I have a few Arctics in the shop for the school drysuits. Maybe if you ask Andrew reaaaaly nicely he will lend you one for the weekend. Arctic - the worlds most expensive pajamas!

Pete

Thanks Pete, If I can get down to Auckland before the 16th I'll look into that.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Andy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:46 pm

aquakiwi wrote:Thanks Pete, If I can get down to Auckland before the 16th I'll look into that.

I can always pick a set up for you and bring them up.
Andy
Serial Poster

Next

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits