Underwear

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Re: Underwear

Postby aquakiwi » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:55 pm

Andy wrote:
aquakiwi wrote:Thanks Pete, If I can get down to Auckland before the 16th I'll look into that.

I can always pick a set up for you and bring them up.

Thanks Andy, I'll give them a buzz tomorrow and see what they say. Is the Arctic good enough as a stand alone undergarment? I would imagine it to be very "unbulky" compared to some of the combinations I've been using.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby petemes » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:31 am

aquakiwi wrote:
Andy wrote:
aquakiwi wrote:Thanks Pete, If I can get down to Auckland before the 16th I'll look into that.

I can always pick a set up for you and bring them up.

Thanks Andy, I'll give them a buzz tomorrow and see what they say. Is the Arctic good enough as a stand alone undergarment? I would imagine it to be very "unbulky" compared to some of the combinations I've been using.

The Arctic is warmer than any 200gm thinsulate and half as bulky at least. Thinsulates are 20 year old technology and fabric. you cant wash them, their onepiece "baby gro" style can be really restrictive. That is why FE use two piece garments. What you will also find is that if you do get a little chilled you can wear a thin baselayer ( drybase or xerotherm) under your torso and you will be a hundy!!! That is exactly what I wear for 3 hour dives on the lermi in 9 degree water. hope this helps.

Pete
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Milky » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:28 am

yeah,

Pete, can u say that Subxero=artic+xerotherm, in warmth? or it is more?

If u have artic, how many kilo less u need compared to 200g thinsulates on average?

thx
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby petemes » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:01 am

sunkarm wrote:yeah,

Pete, can u say that Subxero=artic+xerotherm, in warmth? or it is more?

If u have artic, how many kilo less u need compared to 200g thinsulates on average?

thx

Hi Milky, this (in my opinion) would be - like - Using a bazooka to kill a fly. Not even in the arctic, under the ice, submerged for hours, circulation of a waif would you need all that. Subzero is for cold water - beautifully made, warm as - BUT does need more lead as is more buoyant. Is BLOODY stylish (as is all FE stuff) The arctic gear is amazing. Some call it fabric witchcraft. Is the lightest of all fabrics and needs the least lead. But is also the warmest. Even when completely flooded.

Now again, dont take my word for it!! ( some people think that all manufacturers and importers think that their products are the best in the world!!! - they probably do) but I have a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all fe products because I use the stuff and stand behind it one hundred percent.( this is a personal guarantee not manufacturer driven) Which means if you buy any fourth element gear (from a dive store in NZ) and you dont like it - send it back and you will be fully refunded.

Pete
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Milky » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:24 am

I have heard positive stuffs about the artic from NZ divers and overseas (through scubaboard). that's y few months ago when 4th element is announcing they wanna introduce a new undergarment (subxero), it was a big news for everybody.

I am still wondering if artic is warm enough, y is there a subxero? is it because they r dedicated for ice divers?

MS
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:28 am

aquakiwi wrote:Thanks Andy, I'll give them a buzz tomorrow and see what they say. Is the Arctic good enough as a stand alone undergarment? I would imagine it to be very "unbulky" compared to some of the combinations I've been using.

I know Andrew from Global quite well so he'll be quite comfortable doing a trial for you and letting me walk off with the stuff!!

I normally wear a very thin polypro under my arctics - no real reason, as they are warm enough on their own. Just habit, really. But you're right, they're not bulky at all.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:39 am

man, i wish Artic's fashion design is like subxero, rather than look like pajama. so i wan walk around with it before i put on the drysuit. I think with artic, i will look so sexy...hahahaha.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby petemes » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:51 am

sunkarm wrote:man, i wish Artic's fashion design is like subxero, rather than look like pajama. so i wan walk around with it before i put on the drysuit. I think with artic, i will look so sexy...hahahaha.

Milky, mate, no question the Subzero jacket is sex on a stick but you can also wear the arctic top as a top only. If you wear the bottoms - yeah ok... good call, I think tracksuit pants went out when pony tails did! But then again who cares what you wear - right?

Pete
(fashion police)
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:04 pm

petemes wrote:But then again who cares what you wear - right?

As long as you're warm.

And, of course, slightly smug on the third dive of the day as some poor soul is struggling into a cold, damp wetsuit.... :lol: :lol:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:17 pm

Could the Artic replace a wetsuit? if so which mm of wetsuit it can replace, 3mm,5mm, or 7mm?
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby petemes » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:43 pm

sunkarm wrote:Could the Artic replace a wetsuit? if so which mm of wetsuit it can replace, 3mm,5mm, or 7mm?

These are all for under drysuits mate. The FE Thermocline is for under wetsuits. In the future manufacturers of fabric like Polartec will manufacturer material that will be as warm as a 7mm but neutrally buoyant. Wouldnt that be cool???
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby aquakiwi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:04 pm

sunkarm wrote:man, i wish Artic's fashion design is like subxero, rather than look like pajama. so i wan walk around with it before i put on the drysuit. I think with artic, i will look so sexy...hahahaha.

Some things are best left covered.....................
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ristari » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:30 pm

KINDA a hiijack but also related...

with Poor Knights trip next weekend, I am thinking of getting an second layer to wear under my wetsuit. I will be diving in a 6mm 2 piece and normally wear a Ripcurl shortsleeve hotskin (I think it's 0.5mm titanium). my poor little wrists usually get cold first, so have been looking at getting a long sleeve top to wear under the wettie for a while... (I haven't been diving enough lately to justify buying a drysuit... yet!)

Have been looking at the Point5 longsleeve tops, the Sharkskin longsleeve tops and the Fourth Element Thermocline tops...

Tips/experiences? and know any shops I can have look at in Welly?

Cheers! :D
Ristari

Postby Kate » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Fourth element for sure.
The Poor Knights Islands - best sub-tropical diving in the world. www.diving.co.nz
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Ristari » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:30 pm

Kate wrote:Fourth element for sure.

...they do look good. A longsleeve top and pair of shorts sound toasty! 8)
Ristari

PreviousNext

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits