DS wrist seals

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

DS wrist seals

Postby 3RNZIR » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi all,I'm looking at tooling up with a drysuit in the near future.I have a existing injury/scar tissue on my left wrist that makes a small depression when I make a fist.Sooo,should I go 4 neoprene wrists seals on both wrists,with maybe some apollo bio seals?Or neoprene on the right wrist and latex on the left wrist?Neoprene appeals for it`s hard wearing properties.Will be going the custom suit option.
Cheerz
Peace:Via superior firepower.
3RNZIR

Re: DS wrist seals

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:32 pm

How small a depression? It may or may not make a difference.

Global Dive in Auckland have rental drysuits - you could try latex seals first with no risk. Different latex seals (bottle neck & cone) will have different characteristics.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby 3RNZIR » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:50 pm

The main area of the depression is back appox half an inch from where the base of the hand meets the top of the wrist.The depression is approx half an inch as well.Will try the hire option first though.Many thanx.
Peace:Via superior firepower.
3RNZIR

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:53 am

That's quite a bit depression! I get about 1/4 inch next to my tendons which doesn't cause me a problem.... but half an inch may do!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andreas » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:16 am

If you've got problems finding a seal which works for you, you can investigate getting dry gloves.
There's two variants of these gloves, with and without rings.

The variant without rings is favored by tech divers adhering to the DIR philosophy whereas a ring system for the gloves is much easier to put on and take off.
The backside with the ring system is that the rings might get stuck and it takes some getting used to.

I'm personally using dry gloves with a snap on system and I am very happy with them. I have had problems (on maybe 3 dives out of 40) with the gloves leaking, but then there's always been a strand of hair or some dirt in the o-rings which I hadn't spotted before putting the gloves on.
Andreas

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits