Boldly going...

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Boldly going...

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:21 pm

...to where most sensible winter divers have allready gone. :lol:

Well the Wellington Waters has finally pushed me to the Dry Suit crowd,I have tirelessly dived in 7mm suits from 87' till today which will likely be my last in a wet suit as my Dry Suit arrived today fresh and still smelling of sealant from OTTER UK. (And I did get some change out of 3K,not much but a bit ha ha ha)
I have never really been to fussed about the water temp,but my current fitness fad and dropping from 99kgs to 90kgs and dropping has taken its toll,recently the water temps have been between 9-11 degrees and after the first 10-15mins I have been feeling the cold.

So here I am joined the ranks of the Drysuit crowd ready for the Poor Knights...
I have also got myself a set of ARTIC 4RTH Element undergarments as well thanks to Andy and DD for their reccomendations on them and a huge thanks to Pete M from Drysuits Direct for his help and honesty and direction.Awesome guys!!!

Anyway here I am all dressed up with nowhere to Dive..

The suit seems to be a good fit,and the neck and wrist seals seem very good....but without the water test who knows..
I did however test out my new ZEAGLE TECH BCD on tuesday night and it was an absolute dream,fantsatic bit of Dive kit,functional,exellent craftmanship,ridiculously comfortable,and amazing stability under the water,and with the right amount of rear trim weights I can sit on my back in the water like sitting in a 65lbs lift lazy boy....great!! (And the service from Mark the NZ Zeagle dealer is also ridiculously good,top man)
My trusty AQUALUNG BC is now gathering dust with the Ark and all my other obsolete Dive gear.. :lol:

Either way,thanks guys and girls for your input... :D
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: Boldly going...

Postby DiveDiva » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:44 pm

Looks like a good fit NEM and if you have any more rain headed your way it could come in useful sooner than you thought :lol:

They make such a difference aye - particularly between dives when you'd usually start to cool off. How exciting :D
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:35 pm

Looks good!! It will probably take a dive or two to get used to it - but diving dry is the way to go, you'll love it!!!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby NEMES1S » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:51 pm

First dive today..
First impression was that I was diving in a giant gumboot!!! :lol:
It took about 2mins on the surface mucking about putting air in and bleeding it out then I was away laughing...AND WARM AND DRY!!!

I thought it would take more to become accustomed to the suit but it didnt really I had two good dives today and even hovering at the saftey stops wasnt a problem.

I found the OTTER itself is like a giant BC and the image that to me summs up the sensation is almost like free fall parachute in the starfish position some invisible force suspending you with the entirity of your body.
Maybe like the sensation a fly gets in ointment.... :D

Either way I found it awesome,the uncanny ability that all my DM mates and instructors have of being effortlessly suspended in space is now explained.Very good bouyancy is capable with the dry suit,I must say I am impressed.
And getting out during dives and swapping tanks etc was bliss.
And at the end of the day to remove the suit and be completely dry was definately a "Diving moment" :mrgreen:

Awesome!!!
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:31 pm

NEMES1S wrote:I thought it would take more to become accustomed to the suit but it didnt really I had two good dives today and even hovering at the saftey stops wasnt a problem.

Yup. Whoever started the myth that diving in drysuits is hard has a lot to answer for.... air goes in here, air comes out here, don't put too much in and stay neutrally buoyant.

I love teaching OW classes to people in drysuits - they take to it straight away!!

Either way I found it awesome,the uncanny ability that all my DM mates and instructors have of being effortlessly suspended in space is now explained.Very good bouyancy is capable with the dry suit,I must say I am impressed.

<start dodgy Italian accent>

Welcome to the family!!

</end dodgy Italian accent>

Dry suits rock - you put the air where you want it, and it puts you in the position you want to be, A bit of air in the boots pulls you up to being horizontal.... bend your knees, trap it there and you look uber-cool!!

Glad you enjoyed it. So, the question is, will the wetsuit come out in summer or will you end up diving dry all year around?!?!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby NEMES1S » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:46 pm

Andy wrote:
Yup. Whoever started the myth that diving in drysuits is hard has a lot to answer for.... air goes in here, air comes out here, don't put too much in and stay neutrally buoyant.

I love teaching OW classes to people in drysuits - they take to it straight away!!

Dry suits rock - you put the air where you want it, and it puts you in the position you want to be, A bit of air in the boots pulls you up to being horizontal.... bend your knees, trap it there and you look uber-cool!!

Glad you enjoyed it. So, the question is, will the wetsuit come out in summer or will you end up diving dry all year around?!?!

Wet suit in Summer? I doubt it, I think my wet suit will be on Trade Me sooner rather than later... :D

And yeah I think the major amout of trepidation about the dry suit was all inflicted by the dry suit stigma that others have created,as you say I think whoever started that myth does have a lot to answer for.
Air in Air out....not a complex concept,and once you have the valve set there isnt much else to do.

And yeah that was something I did have a play with was when I felt it tight in the legs would go slightly head first feet up and the air would shift inside the suit to the area of my legs,I however found absolutely no bouyancy from the feet as a few guys said that I would need ankle weights...

Anyway I an never one to get too confident with anything too soon and am still a firm beliver in "Walking before running" so I will just take it as it comes and go with the flow... :D
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:24 pm

NEMES1S wrote:Wet suit in Summer? I doubt it, I think my wet suit will be on Trade Me sooner rather than later... :D

Good man!! That's the spirit.

And yeah that was something I did have a play with was when I felt it tight in the legs would go slightly head first feet up and the air would shift inside the suit to the area of my legs,I however found absolutely no bouyancy from the feet as a few guys said that I would need ankle weights...

With time, you'll get the feel for how much air you want where - if you want your feet to be a bit more buoyant, put a bit more air in and lean forward to get the air into the feet. Then bend your knees up to trap it there.

Doesn't really work if you flutter kick - as every time you kick it pumps the air around the suit, but if you frog kick it works quite well.

You shouldn't need ankle weights - particularly in the Otter, as the boots themselves are quite heavy. Just dive it loads and you find what works for you.

Am excited about the 16th... I'm kinda wondering if anyone will be diving in a wetsuit on the boat!?!?!?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby NEMES1S » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:34 pm

Andy wrote:
Doesn't really work if you flutter kick - as every time you kick it pumps the air around the suit, but if you frog kick it works quite well.

You shouldn't need ankle weights - particularly in the Otter, as the boots themselves are quite heavy. Just dive it loads and you find what works for you.

Am excited about the 16th... I'm kinda wondering if anyone will be diving in a wetsuit on the boat!?!?!?

Ahhh now I understand why most of the times the Divers in the Sea Hunters frog kick opposed to flutter and there lies my answer,I initially thought the cyclic nature of the movemet didnt disturb as much silt,but now I get it... :wink:

And yeah very exited about the 16th really looking forward to meeting you guys and girls,I am looking at it as a big dive course... :D
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:39 am

NEMES1S wrote:Ahhh now I understand why most of the times the Divers in the Sea Hunters frog kick opposed to flutter and there lies my answer,I initially thought the cyclic nature of the movemet didnt disturb as much silt,but now I get it... :wink:

It's a bit of both - certainly, the frog kick directs the water upwards so it disturbs silt a lot less than a flutter kick. With practice, you can cruise along just a couple of cm above a silty bottom and it not move at all. But it also doesn't push the air around the inside of the drysuit in an unbalanced way. I just find that a flutter kick is a lot less stable in a drysuit.

With both kicks, you can make them bigger or smaller.... I tend to just frog kick from my ankles and cruise along quite happily at my own speed with no air being pumped around in the suit at all because the knees always stay bent.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:51 am

welcome to d Drysuit world

Andy, what about those Gaiter stuff u put on your feet to reduce air going there?

thx
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:06 am

sunkarm wrote:Andy, what about those Gaiter stuff u put on your feet to reduce air going there?

My personal opinion, of course, but they're a bit pointless. They may make it more difficult for air to get into the feet, but then that also means it's harder for air to get out again once it's there.

Things like gaiters, ankle weights and dump valves on the ankles of a suit are really just for people who've not spent time getting used to how a drysuit feels and practised diving in one.

I don't see any concerns about having a bit of air in your boots. Out of control, feet first ascents really don't happen provided your properly weighted and neutrally buoyant.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:28 am

Initially, i had that problem but throughout my drysuit course, i manage to control it. So now, never have problem with it. I do know that lots of u doing a drysuit course is not necessary,but 4 me i find it very useful and worth d money. I guess people r different.

I use to have an ankle weight but i don't use them anymore and still comfy without it and controllable.

I will b switching to trilaminate in 6 weeks from very old non-compressed 5mm Bravo drysuit to front-zip trilaminate. Will i be having bit of getting used to? I heard with Trilam, i will get more air migration.

Thx for the reply
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:32 am

sunkarm wrote:I will b switching to trilaminate in 6 weeks from very old non-compressed 5mm Bravo drysuit to front-zip trilaminate. Will i be having bit of getting used to? I heard with Trilam, i will get more air migration.

I've never dived a neoprene suit, so can't really comment - I'm sure you'll get used to the differences fairly quickly, though.
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits