Trilam vs trilam????

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Trilam vs trilam????

Postby Milky » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:45 am

hhmmm... i heard from somebody that there one or two instructors r not happy with their brand of trilam drsyuit and that they prefer other brands instead. I couldn't c the difference between one brand to another as long as they fit u & u r dry. I only know one one weigh more than the other in terms of differences of trilam. I used to have DUI TLS but the rear entry and they are damn light compared to my Bare trilam. Of course this is due to the thickness of the materials of the suit...any of u ever wear different brands of trilam befaore...can you feel the differences or level of comfortness?

Thanks
Alive to Dive
Milky

Re: Trilam vs trilam????

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:26 pm

I've got two suits, a Pinnacle Evolution and a Bare Tech Dry - the difference in comfort I think comes from the fact that the Bare is MTM whereas the Pinnacle is off the peg. The materials are different, but not that different to really notice. Some suits are a lot more flexible, though, which I guess would make a difference.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:14 pm

so which one you prefer?
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:50 pm

I prefer the Bare - but it's not a fair comparison! The legs on my Pinnacle have always been too short since the first time I sent it back because it was delivered with the wrong sized boots, and the arms are also too short..... the material is fine on the PInnacle, and if it was the right size then it would be a good suit. It was stiff to begin with, but after a couple of dozen dives it loosened up.

The front zip on the Bare makes a big difference to how the suit feels as well, it's certainly less restrictive around the shoulders and the suit "moulds" better - but then again, I'd have to compare it with the new Pinnacle Evolution 2 which has a front zip to see whether it's "the suit" or "the zip" that's making that difference.

Are you not liking your Bare suit, Milky?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby tara » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:52 pm

Milky wrote:so which one you prefer?

didnt you just get a new bare suit? wasnt that what you were trying out in the lake?
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:01 pm

Axe wrote:Curiosity... what trilam is the hardest wearing and can anyone attest to DUI with the comparisons?

I've seen some fairly impressive demonstrations with the Northern Diver cortex suits - taking a pair of scissors and scratching them hard across the fabrix, which didn't even leave a scratch. My PInnacle suit is still going strong (apart from the zip) after several hundred dives, with just one small leak from a seam.

It seems that seams are the first thing to go, rather than the fabric itself?

DUI are good suits, well made but a little pricey for my taste.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:26 pm

On the contrary Andy, I love my bare suit compared to my old Bravo noncompressed 5mm neoprene suit. I feel less restrictive on my Bare suit than my old one. Finally i don't need to adjust the wrist on my divecomp as i dive deeper because as you know 5mm noncompressed suit really compressed quite a lot as you go deeper and make my divecomp very loose.

The only compain i had and told to M. Mesley when i picked up the suit, was that the suit was heavy for a trilam and then he gave showed the 2mm compressed Bare suit, and that was 2kg more. The reason because it is heavier is because of the 1000denier thick suit. So now i don't mind the weight.

I am getting better at venting the air out from my shoulder.But still need to practise more. for the past few days, i had been trying on using different clothing underneath wihtouth my DUI 200gr thinsulates. To day i was just wearing a short-sleeve t-shirt, a pair of jeans, sweater and a Kathmandu Jersey. the chest and the back is warm but i feel bit of cold on my arm as i go to 14 meters deep. but my average dive today was 11 meters and it is okay not too cold.i manage to lose about 1.5 kgs without the undergarments.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Milky wrote:The only compain i had and told to M. Mesley when i picked up the suit, was that the suit was heavy for a trilam and then he gave showed the 2mm compressed Bare suit, and that was 2kg more. The reason because it is heavier is because of the 1000denier thick suit. So now i don't mind the weight.

Glad you like it! Yeah, I thought the suit was on the heavy side as well - but the fabric does feel strong, whilst still being supple.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby NEMES1S » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:52 pm

I have ONLY dived in my Otter Brittanic TRI-Lam but I have no idea how it compares to the more expensive modles like the DUI it is a very heavy duty material.
I love the front entry zip and chose the Otter over several others for that and someof its other features.

Andy have you any opinions on the Otters or...?
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby tara » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:04 pm

i'm using a DUI - and i love it.
but i *think* its their version of crushed neoprene. andy - do you know?
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby Milky » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:37 pm

i think it's the CF200. I think that is the most popular one from DUI. They are very good suit no doubt about that but i agree with Andy, i think it is also bit overpriced though.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby tara » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Milky wrote:i think it's the CF200. I think that is the most popular one from DUI. They are very good suit no doubt about that but i agree with Andy, i think it is also bit overpriced though.

tis a CF450x - i just went and checked.
Last edited by tara on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby Milky » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:59 pm

Not many Kiwi divers dive with a DUI....so why didn't you choose Trilam? i chose trilam because it's very universal, you can use it in the tropic or anywhere else including ice-diving. Just have to decide what you wanna where underneath the drysuit.

I think it was DUI who came up with Crushed neoprene idea......

i wish there was way we can tell if this is a good material in terms of strength or not. Cause as you know, Drysuit manufacturers always claim their materials are the strongest....
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Milky » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:53 pm

i think it was Bare when Pete was the distributor, only $2300 front-entry, but now is $2800.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Hoppy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:46 am

Ive got an older DUI rear-entry trilam (more of an entry level suit, cant remember the model but they dont make it any more) and a TLS350.

There is just no comparison between the two.

The TLS350 is much lighter, drys far faster. Its also far more comfortable to dive in, both in terms of squeeze, and just plain ability to move around in the suit (eg valve drills). It also doesnt need assistance to get in and out of. You dont know the meaning of pain until you are busting to go, and all the people (wetsuit divers) around you think that its a great joke to not unzip you :lol:

BUT I suspect the TLS350 wouldnt be quite as durable in a high abrasion environment.
Hoppy

Next

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits