Argon 4 drysuit

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Argon 4 drysuit

Postby Milky » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:46 am

I do know that argon can keep u warm, is it worth to have one?

At what minimum temperature, is great to have one?

Where can u get the bottle, hose and the argon from?

How much will they all cost

How much 4 free fill?

One small argon bottle can last 4 how many dives?
Alive to Dive
Milky

Re: Argon 4 drysuit

Postby silent solutions » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 am

What sort of diving are you doing that you think you need argon?It is not worth the hassle of carrying a gas that you cant breath or use for very little if any benefit of extra warmth.Also the cost of rental on a argon tank and you use bugger all from it over the course of a year transfilling into 1l cylinders.Just my opinion from having used it 5 or so years ago.But a separate source for inflating your drysuit other than backgas is a very good move,and one more tool in your box that may get you out of trouble.
silent solutions

Postby gingerninja » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Milky wrote:How much 4 free fill?

A free fill would cost nothing obviously.
Did you mean 'how much for a fill?'
Willie Apiata is the reason why Osama is hiding.
gingerninja

Postby Milky » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:57 pm

gingerninja wrote:
Milky wrote:How much 4 free fill?

A free fill would cost nothing obviously.
Did you mean 'how much for a fill?'

Yeah ,how much 4 a fill?
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Hoppy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Short answer: If you arent diving mix, dont worry about Argon.

Longer Comment: The primary reason for an alternative gas supply for suit inflation is when you are using helium mixes. You chill quicker breathing mix, and you dont want to inflate your suit with it coz that will chill you even quicker. Not to mention that you usually want to be breathing that gas, and that its too damned expensive to be pumping it into your fart-sack.

Even if you are diving mix, air as a suit filler is typically fine.
You'd only even bother considering Argon in !_cold_! water and/or !_long_! durations.
It also depends on gear configuration, I think the bubble-less ones typically use one of their bail-out bottles.

Argon is not cheap. I seem to recall ~$100 for a D cylinder. Also, the cylinders you typically use (1L or less) are hard to obtain.

You have to take the comments from the 'bubble-less' ones on some stuff with a grain of sofnalime.
I think they forget what it was like once they start breathing their nice warm re-circulated gas :wink:
Hoppy

Postby silent solutions » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:08 pm

Hoppy hand on heart can you honestly tell the difference between the two gases(argon/Air).Most of my diving would be water temps of 8-11c and helium based mixes altough it has been quite some time since o/c I honestly could not tell any difference on argon on back to back tests over several days.
silent solutions

Postby Hoppy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:24 pm

silent solutions wrote:Hoppy hand on heart can you honestly tell the difference between the two gases(argon/Air).Most of my diving would be water temps of 8-11c and helium based mixes altough it has been quite some time since o/c I honestly could not tell any difference on argon on back to back tests over several days.

LOL. I hope you realise am just joking re: the bubbleless comments.

Argon. It does feel a LITTLE warmer to me. But that could also just be a placebo effect as well. Just connecting it up doesnt seem to make a lot of difference either. You have to run do serveral purge cylces on-land, to get all the air out of your suit and replaced with argon, before its even noticeable.

But as I said, to be honest, unless I was particularly worried about duration or temp, I wouldnt bother. And if I did bother, it would more be a 'tick in the box' to make me feel happier as much as anything else.

There are theories that argon seems to have better affinity with thinsulateB in a suit flood. But conversely there have been tests done with rectal thermometers which suggest no difference in diver core temps when using Argon. Im not sure what the parameters of those experiements were though.
Hoppy

Postby Andy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Hoppy wrote:There are theories that argon seems to have better affinity with thinsulateB in a suit flood. But conversely there have been tests done with rectal thermometers which suggest no difference in diver core temps when using Argon. Im not sure what the parameters of those experiements were though.

I wonder who volunteered to part of those tests!? I certainly hope they weren't glass thermometers.... :shock:
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits