DRYSUITSdirect NEED your help!!!!

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Re: DRYSUITSdirect NEED your help!!!!

Postby petemes » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:12 pm

Vampire Squid wrote:Oh I so like challenges like this. :D
I would stay away from any 'Tropical' names as Drysuits aren't the go in those regions.
I could offer the title 'Southern Gyre', or the 'Tasman' but people from the Northern Hemisphere could feel disengaged from the titles and females might find both titles a bit 'blokey'.
What then? Well, i'm gonna ruffle around and see what I can come up with.
If I do come up with something slick, then I just want the mandatory 10% discount as I do need to buy a drysuit eventually (my 7mm limit is 14degreesC)
(still unsure about crushed Neoprene or Trilaminate??)

10% Man you are cheap! I would have given you 50!
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Just one other thing Pete why not shorten Dry Suits Direct to something like DSD NZ or just DSD.

Then it could be the DSD: Halocline or DSD: Minerva...etc etc..
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby petemes » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:30 pm

NEMES1S wrote:Just one other thing Pete why not shorten Dry Suits Direct to something like DSD NZ or just DSD.

Then it could be the DSD: Halocline or DSD: Minerva...etc etc..

Just branding mate. thats all.
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Jason » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 am

Ok, just a quick attempt so far...

the Twilight Trilaminate (or Neoprene, though I find this word works well more with the Twi for Tri and a 't' sound at the end of both - very catchy)
- the word also can touch that special moment when night and day conect upon a Dive.
the Maritime Trilaminate - again the letter 't' works the connection rather than Neoprene. The word Maritime incorporates the 'marine' world word.
- I still feel that this word connects with boats, but this might just be me?
the Ocean Dynamic Neoprene - can also work for Trilaminate. Two words that work well both together and upon their own.

the Tetonic Plate Trilaminate - catchy, but does Tetonics have anything to do with Drysuit Diving specifically?

the Panthalassa Neoprene - Ahh, dedicated to our planet's first Ocean. Such an 'old' word arouses a sense of wisdom or a very long, long life span of a suit.

the Climate Control Neoprene/Trilaminate - the most invogue pair of words that sum up the current climate of what Diving is in amongst

the Emperor Neoprene/Trilaminate - inspired by the Emperor Penguin that braves the cold of the Antarctic. Using an animal can work, as long as the majority
-of the world recognises the species as its own just as much as someone elses. The Emperor is a catch 22 in that Antarctica
-isn't anyone's but in a way its everyones.
the Ice Crystal - Sums up the environment that Drysuits brave and leaves a niche for a very cool Logo of an Ice Crystal upon the suit. Might sound a bit
- fragile though, rather than tough and durable.
the Holothurian Neoprene - just a jest on behalf of the Sea Cucumber.

the HydroThermal Neoprene - more just for Neoprene and both words encompass what is on offer with a crushed Neoprene suit.

....just some so far. :)
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:48 am

The "Maritime" Tri laminate sounds kinda cool... nice VS :D
NEMES1S

Postby tara » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Andy wrote: .. Halocline is good, kinda fits alongside the 4thE offerings.

but thats fourth element.
this is dry suits direct. i think it should be a completely different theme.

i like the marine ideas but i cant help thinking they shouldnt be a little more southern hemisphere themed. seeing as you are putting all the work in. and i know you love your rust - how about using some of the new zealand wrecks names?
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:21 pm

tara wrote:
Andy wrote: .. Halocline is good, kinda fits alongside the 4thE offerings.

but thats fourth element.
this is dry suits direct. i think it should be a completely different theme.

i like the marine ideas but i cant help thinking they shouldnt be a little more southern hemisphere themed. seeing as you are putting all the work in. and i know you love your rust - how about using some of the new zealand wrecks names?

Names like the "Niagra" might work but the Drysuits Direct "Lermentov" I dont know about that... :lol:

Some fish names might be cool "Mosiac" "Bream" "Flounder" ha ha ha ha...dont know about the last one it brings to mind getting washed up onto the rocks in heavy seas... :D
NEMES1S

Postby tara » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:25 pm

i was thinking more of the kiwi named ships nem!!

tui for example?
warrior ...
wiltshire
waitemata etc etc etc
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby Jason » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:14 pm

I with you Tara upon the Southern Hemisphere themes or 'localised' themes.
It would be good but I'm thinking that Pete wants to be able to cater to National & International tastes??
I would say "Silver Fern" with some silver trims n' pipeings to really hit the New Zealand style (that Sterling Silver Service :wink: ), but not many people recognise such from around the world ...but then again, there is always the 'fluke' scenario where it just kicks off because no-one really pin-points a Silver Fern as 'just' being New Zealand theme. It either works or it isolates the product terribly to 'time & place'. I know a lot of overseas suits are 'localised' so I wouldn't be caught dead in NSW wearing a 'Canadian' Drysuit...especially when I haven't been (worse than the ol Tourist TT shirt curse).

I kinda like the 'Tara Trilaminate' - whattaya reckon? Kinda Kiwi-like as in Tuatara as well.

The 'Nemisis Neoprene' - now this fits quite well too.

Vampire Squid just don't cut the mustard here.
I tried to think of something for you Pete, but I can only get Presley to go with Mesley.
Jason

Postby tara » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Vampire Squid wrote: .. I tried to think of something for you Pete, but I can only get Presley to go with Mesley.

blue suede suit?
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:42 pm

tara wrote:i was thinking more of the kiwi named ships nem!!

tui for example?
warrior ...
wiltshire
waitemata etc etc etc

Yeah I know I was just taking the piss...Rusty Ruskie..ha ha ha ha.. :lol:

A southern angle would be good... "Southern Ocean" "Crux" "Southern Cross" its kind of hard to work with though.
NEMES1S

Postby tara » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:43 pm

ooooh then i would have the brand tattooed on my wrist
(better the brand than my PADI number though? eeekk)
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby petemes » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Vampire Squid wrote:Ok, just a quick attempt so far...

the Twilight Trilaminate (or Neoprene, though I find this word works well more with the Twi for Tri and a 't' sound at the end of both - very catchy)
- the word also can touch that special moment when night and day conect upon a Dive.
the Maritime Trilaminate - again the letter 't' works the connection rather than Neoprene. The word Maritime incorporates the 'marine' world word.
- I still feel that this word connects with boats, but this might just be me?
the Ocean Dynamic Neoprene - can also work for Trilaminate. Two words that work well both together and upon their own.

the Tetonic Plate Trilaminate - catchy, but does Tetonics have anything to do with Drysuit Diving specifically?

the Panthalassa Neoprene - Ahh, dedicated to our planet's first Ocean. Such an 'old' word arouses a sense of wisdom or a very long, long life span of a suit.

the Climate Control Neoprene/Trilaminate - the most invogue pair of words that sum up the current climate of what Diving is in amongst

the Emperor Neoprene/Trilaminate - inspired by the Emperor Penguin that braves the cold of the Antarctic. Using an animal can work, as long as the majority
-of the world recognises the species as its own just as much as someone elses. The Emperor is a catch 22 in that Antarctica
-isn't anyone's but in a way its everyones.
the Ice Crystal - Sums up the environment that Drysuits brave and leaves a niche for a very cool Logo of an Ice Crystal upon the suit. Might sound a bit
- fragile though, rather than tough and durable.
the Holothurian Neoprene - just a jest on behalf of the Sea Cucumber.

the HydroThermal Neoprene - more just for Neoprene and both words encompass what is on offer with a crushed Neoprene suit.

....just some so far. :)

Wow, you are really putting alot of thought into this one! Thanks for all your ideas. It is certainly giving me some food for thought. I might have to bring in more designs just to match them up with these Schmicko names!!!

Keep em coming!!!

Pete
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Jason » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:41 pm

No probs Pete, here's some more...

the Excelsior
the Arch (inspired by watching Trubridge 'freedive' under the Dahab Arch - there is always a popular dive site called the Arch around the world)

Considering the older name of 'Shell suit', I thought I would tribute with these:
the Cowrie
the Nerite
the Periwinkle (though I can't see tough guys wear this drysuit)
Jason

Postby Wayne » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:11 pm

Can't wait to see photos, details and prices for them as I'm after a suit as well.
I don't know how you would go about it but Maori names like: Tangaroa - god of the sea, ika - fish, wai - water, Taniwha - a Maori word for a mythical monster or demon.
Wayne

PreviousNext

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits