ARCTIC vs SUBX: (battle of the 4rth elements).

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

ARCTIC vs SUBX: (battle of the 4rth elements).

Postby NEMES1S » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:10 pm

ARCTIC vs SUBX (battle of the 4rth elements).

Hey guys just a few questions as we move into the cooler winter months here in Wellington,I currently dive in an Otter Tri-lam and usuallt dive in my 4rth Element Arctic undersuit with a single merino underlayer from Kathmandu,last winter I still found the temps down at 13 degrees cool.
Now after a year and a bit my dive air consumption has dropped considerably along with my weights I now dive with weight between 4kgs and 7-8kgs depending on if I take the can light or not.

So with longer dive durations I am looking at spending longer time down there,and as we all know there is no insulation in a Tri-laminate suit,I have proved this one as I dive the pool in a t-shirt in my Tri-lam for training and dont get hot or cold.

Anyway I was just wondering if those who dive in the Tri-lams could recommend the SUBX's?
I am happy with the ARCTICs I got from Pete Mes but I think as he said before to me that it is not suitable for cold water diving in NZ in the winter.
And the 4rth element web site confirms this....

4rth Element wrote:ARCTIC EXTREME PERFORMANCE UNDERSUIT

Suitable for year round use underneath neoprene drysuits or summer use under membrane suits.

So instead of wearing 2 layers of merino top and bottom and then the Arctic's I thought I would look at something warmer and from what I see the next step up is the 4rth Element SUBX set up...or do you guys reccomend anything else or have tried anything else.
I am more than happy to go the way of the SUBX but was just interested to hear thoughts on it or anything similar.

Thanks in advance:

NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: ARCTIC vs SUBX: (battle of the 4rth elements).

Postby binklebonk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:58 pm

SUBX needs alot of lead from what i've heard. I've worn it on terra firma and found it too be a fair bit more restrictive and for me too warm. I've dived in the Arctic and trilam in water below 8 degrees and found it fine. So I'm probably not the person to advise you.

How much air do you have in your suit cos if you are only keeping a very very small amount you'll be colder than necessary.

Perhaps a 10cc injection of concrete would help you harden up.. :wink:
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:11 pm

binklebonk wrote:SUBX needs alot of lead from what i've heard. I've worn it on terra firma and found it too be a fair bit more restrictive and for me too warm. I've dived in the Arctic and trilam in water below 8 degrees and found it fine. So I'm probably not the person to advise you.

How much air do you have in your suit cos if you are only keeping a very very small amount you'll be colder than necessary.

Perhaps a 10cc injection of concrete would help you harden up.. :wink:

Ha ha ha ha 10cc's of concrete...nice.. :D

Yeah last year I was pretty new to my drysuit and let no or very little air in at all (fear based..ha ha ha).
This year I have been fine and have always given it a decent blast of air into the suit,I will see how I go with the Arctic's I had a couple of PMs on the SUBX's and quite a few agree its quite restrictive....pity as I quite liked the look of it.
NEMES1S

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi Nem,

Since you allready have the Artic, all you need I'd say is the exothem. It goes under the artic.
Check this out. http://www.fourthelement.com/xerotherm_ ... system.php

Or you can get the xeotherm and the dry base :-)

Paul.
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:14 am

Paul wrote:Hi Nem,

Since you allready have the Artic, all you need I'd say is the exothem. It goes under the artic.
Check this out. http://www.fourthelement.com/xerotherm_ ... system.php

Or you can get the xeotherm and the dry base :-)

Paul.

Cheers Paul that sounds like a great option,I did a 12-13 degree dive last night with the 99 Crew, and Trish got 12 degrees on her temp guage in the deeper water... and I was fine.
I think most of the wetsuit divers got a bit of a miserable dive with that temp though,Pete said there was water running down his back and front the entire dive... :?

The water did dip right down to 7 degrees winter last year and thats what I am gearing towards..
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:15 am

I have to agree that the SubX looks and feels a little restrictive - I almost bought a set for snowboarding in, but I think in a diving sense it's just too much for our conditions, even in Welly.

I'd go with Paul's suggestion, Xerotherm under the Arctics is more than enough warmth. I wear my Xerotherms 8 months of the year and just slip into th Arctics when it's got cold. If it's a longer dive, I'll wear either a fleece vest over the top or layer the Xerotherms and the Arctics.

Most the Arctics are warm enough - even doing teaching dives in Pupuke in 8 degrees, it's fine.
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits