My NEMES1S:

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

My NEMES1S:

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Ok let me introduce the shitstain on the underpants of the dry suit world....my lovely APEKs shoulder dump.(Now this isnt APEKs's fault its just one of those things I guess.)

Now there are a few reasons that I surmise that this has happened:

1) On my many trips to Auckland and back something heavy was droped on the valve in transit.

2) My mum drove it over on the garage floor when the wind funnelled through the garage and slid it off the rail it was hanging off.
(unlikely she ran it over, I now think)

3) General wear and tear,allthough the suit isnt that old.

4) The Apeks shoulder dump valves are shit.

Anyway lets have a look at the valve:

Heres the valve,the left hand side part is the part that sits externally and is in contact with the water,the section on the right is the other half that is on the interior of the suit,the two parts screw together sandwitching the Trilaminate or Neoprene depending on your suit type.

Now the interior part of the valve is very basic and has no real failure points that Rob or I could see,so we removed the cap on the top portion of the valve,
And revealed what we have called the 'spider' the 'spider' appears to have been bent at some stage so Rob and I heated and bent back the teeth to their original position,as it appeared to me that the teeth because they were bent and forcing themselves under the rubber seal thus letting water in.

You can see the white line on the 'spider' where they had been bent,I think that Rob and I actually largely fixed the problem at this stage...well I thought so until my dive with Pete at Sharkstooth where I got the usual "Jug of water" sensation at about 10m...and at the end of the dive I lifted my wrist seal and water literally poured out from my sodden sleeve and chest area. (Rob and I dressure tested it and the works too...NO LEAKS!! )

This is the actual valve in its exploded view,in order of removal.

Now when Rob and I removed and inspected the unit one area we didnt actually look was the underside of the screw mechanism that loosens and tightens as you turn the bezel to regulate the amount of air in the suit.
On inspection when I took it apart AGAIN....maybe round #5!!
I discovered that the ring on the actual screw mechanism was cracked,NOW I surmise that this may have let water enter into the chamber under pressure and somehow it managed to leak into the suit...not sure how feasable this theory is but perhaps Dive DR or someone could shed some light on this...??

Last night with a brand new valve fitted I was relatively dry...so I am realatively happy....
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: My NEMES1S:

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:59 pm

NEMES1S wrote:4) The Apeks shoulder dump valves are shit.

Harsh. At least the Apeks are user-serviceable, unlike some other brands - which cannot be dismantled to identify the problem.

My guess might be baggage handlers, I always take my DS as hand luggage!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:07 pm

Andy wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:4) The Apeks shoulder dump valves are shit.

Harsh. At least the Apeks are user-serviceable, unlike some other brands - which cannot be dismantled to identify the problem.

My guess might be baggage handlers, I always take my DS as hand luggage!

Sadly the Apeks shoulder dumps have a fairly crap reputation if you look on the net,I myself opted to go again for the Apeks unit as its nice and low profile,
Any more trouble and I will likely patch it up completely and go for a wrist dump like Paul T has...either way I have to seriously break trim to release air....
NEMES1S

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Pete wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:either way I have to seriously break trim to release air....

You could put the dump valve just under your weight-belt? :P :D :P

No I dont have the same gastric issues with my drysuit as you do Pete..
"Go and have a **** you dirty **** !!" ha ha ha ha...

All that effort on this bloody thread and thats all you come up with,dont know why I bother...I really dont. :P
Last edited by NEMES1S on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:59 pm

NEMES1S wrote:Sadly the Apeks shoulder dumps have a fairly crap reputation if you look on the net,I myself opted to go again for the Apeks unit as its nice and low profile,

They've all got bad reputations! Almost everywhere, you will find a bad opinion about anything! I don't like Si-Tech ones, but despite having broken one shoulder dump and one inflator of said brand, that's what I have on both my drysuits! Though I'd prefer to have Apeks.

I think all drysuit valves are just fragile devices, certainly in the ones I've damaged there has been a certain amount of user error.

Any more trouble and I will likely patch it up completely and go for a wrist dump like Paul T has...either way I have to seriously break trim to release air....

Don't stress about trim. Trim is really about being concious of the position you are in, so if you know you need to be non-horizontal to dump air then do it.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:35 pm

Hey nem, I dump (air) by doing a move very similar to a bodybuilding pose... Put the palm of your left (or which ever side the dump is on) hand at the back of your head and move your elbow towards the top of your forehead... Works a treat if you want to stay horizontal.

The other benefit is that once you're back on land, all oiled and pumped up, the best position to show off your ripped triceps and deltoids is second nature. I'm a big fan of multipurpose solutions... :lol:
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:54 pm

binklebonk wrote:Hey nem, I dump (air) by doing a move very similar to a bodybuilding pose... Put the palm of your left (or which ever side the dump is on) hand at the back of your head and move your elbow towards the top of your forehead... Works a treat if you want to stay horizontal.

The other benefit is that once you're back on land, all oiled and pumped up, the best position to show off your ripped triceps and deltoids is second nature. I'm a big fan of multipurpose solutions... :lol:

Yeah since you mentioned that a while back I have been using it,but with the otter undersuit it is a bit more bulky and requires a bit of a shake to get the air 100% out when you are coasting along just below the surface,last night I was great no issues at all no leaks and no air drainage issues either and swam into less than a meter of water just below the surface I think my fins must have been on the surface. :)

Andy wrote:They've all got bad reputations! Almost everywhere, you will find a bad opinion about anything! I don't like Si-Tech ones, but despite having broken one shoulder dump and one inflator of said brand, that's what I have on both my drysuits! Though I'd prefer to have Apeks.
I think all drysuit valves are just fragile devices, certainly in the ones I've damaged there has been a certain amount of user error.

Andy, yeah I guess you are right about the APEKS valves hence my original comments and the fact "they were shyte" was just one of a few possibilities and there are more possibilities.(user being shyte is also a favorable possibility) :roll:

As for the Si-Tech ones we had a guy in Welly Stu buy a Tri-Lam suit with the Si-Tech unit on the shoulder it lasted 1 dive in the surge of the South Coast it got smashed clean off never to be seen again....so yeah....low profile was definately an issue for me in Welly conditions....hell the only reason I wear sunglasses down here is to keep the rain out of my eyes!! :D
NEMES1S

Postby binklebonk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:17 pm

I reckon Sitech dumps are the greatest, I've been using them for 12 months and not only has my sickly constitution regained vigour as has my self esteem, but now I get to kick sand in my own face!
binklebonk

Postby DiveDR » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:04 pm

In our experence the issue is with the installation/removal of the valve, if this is done incorrectly then you can crack the valve.
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits