Drysuit neck seals

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Drysuit neck seals

Postby justsimon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:37 pm

I have a neoprene neck seal on my drysuit. For a while it was excellent, warm and dry but lately I've been damp around the collar again. I'm guessing that the neck seal has stretched over the lat year and doesn't fit as tighly as it should. I was thinking of replacing it this summer.

I got neoprene as most people seemed to prefer it over latex. Does anybody know what the disadvantages of latex neck seals are? Does anybody know anything about zip replaceable seals.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Re: Drysuit neck seals

Postby binklebonk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:48 pm

I think that how much excess seal you have tucked under can make a difference to how well the seal works with a neo neck seal.. Do you have alot of neo to fold down when you don it? I have been experimenting with mine and seem to find it seals better if there is less tucked under.

I used to have a Latex seal and find the neo much more comfortable and warmer. I guess to answer your question about drawbacks of latex would be just that. Colder and less durable. But on the plus side of latex the seal is much more leak proof.

Don't know a thing about Zip replaceable seals.. What are they?
binklebonk

Postby tara » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:24 pm

when i used the rental suits, i found the neoprene slowly stretched and got a bit leaky.

i havent had that problem with latex - however on a big dive weekend (5-7 dives), i wear a bio seal under it especially if i am taking photographs or teaching as it rubs and creates a lovely hickey.
latex takes a little bit of looking after .. washing etc and chalk or talcum powder.
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:04 pm

Neoprene will definitely stretch, Simon. Mine did a little - it will leak a bit when I don't wear a hood, but the hood normally keeps it dry.

I used to have a latex seal, but personally I'd never go back - two days of diving is enough to rub my neck raw. I'd always get into trouble going home after a weekend of diving, as the rash would obscenely resemble a big hickie.

Not everyone gets that rash, though! Some people dive with latex seals for weeks and never suffer it. Best bet is try one out - I'm sure Global would loan you out a suit to try.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby justsimon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks for that guys.

Do you have alot of neo to fold down when you don it? I have been experimenting with mine and seem to find it seals better if there is less tucked under.

Yes, I fold it down a fair way. Might try and fold it down less and see if that works.

Don't know a thing about Zip replaceable seals.. What are they?

I've never actually seen one but I read about somebody who was on a week long trip and tore his seal on the first day. He unzipped it, zipped on a new one and carried on as normal.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby silent solutions » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:51 pm

zip seals are a dui thing
silent solutions

Postby Jason » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:59 pm

tara wrote:as it rubs and creates a lovely hickey.
latex takes a little bit of looking after .. washing etc and chalk or talcum powder.

Andy wrote:two days of diving is enough to rub my neck raw. I'd always get into trouble going home after a weekend of diving, as the rash would obscenely resemble a big hickie.

Talc Powder (most powders): It's 'crystals' resemble little snowflakes, so you can imagine how sharp they would be rubbing against your skin. A little trick I learnt in Aged Care was to get rid of the old method of Talc in regards to 'excoriation' and use 'Mum: Roll-on Deodorants' (I was very popular with the old ladies) as they create a smooth lubricated barrier between the layers of skin and nullifies any 'friction' which results in excoriation (or hickey-rash) - all for just $2 (got into a lot of trouble with Pharmeceuticals and their 'expensive' alternatives).
Anyway, if you can't use Roll-On Deodorants, then try KillRash Powder as this powder is designed to minimalise the 'friction' created from rubbing. ie. skin against latex/neoprene.
I wonder if conventional powder is ruining the latex/neoprene material as well as the skin :?:
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits