Latex Wrist Seals

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Re: Latex Wrist Seals

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:31 pm

Hey Pete,

Give the Dive Dr a call. He will have them.
No clue about his prices or range of options though

Cameron
Cameron_R

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:36 pm

What suit have you got, Pete? You could try Ocean Dry as well as the Dive Doctor.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 pm

You can also try Global Dive - Andrew will source you the seals if you can't get them.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DiveDR » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:39 pm

If you are still looking, let me what sort of suit you have and I am sure we can sort something. I will be in WGT later in the week if you can wait that long or I can put them on the courier.

Cheers

Anthony.

Pete wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy latex wrist seals?

http://www.soundsolutions.biz/dry_suit_seals.htm sells them but I think they have the wrong sizes for my drysuit.
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby seynz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:21 am

Why this piece of equipment is twice the price in NZ than in Europe ?
seynz

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:30 am

seynz wrote:Why this piece of equipment is twice the price in NZ than in Europe ?

You could ask that question about all dive equipment.

Part of the reason is shipping, part of the reason is some items pass through several "distributors" and part of the reason is lack of competition.

( none of these comments are directed at Dive Dr by the way who I have always found very reasonably priced).
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 am

seynz wrote:Why this piece of equipment is twice the price in NZ than in Europe ?

You've only just noticed this? :shock:

Just keep buying stuff in Europe! Gear+shipping+GST = 1/3rd to 1/2 what you will pay here.

There are a few NZ shops that are reducing the gouging margin but they are few and far between.
binklebonk

Postby DiveDR » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:38 pm

Excellent....Dry is the key, how it looks is less of an issue for a DIY job.

As for the price of kit in NZ this is often how the conversation goes........ (I have held of wading in on this popular topic, but it's a New Year so here goes)

DD: We would like to purchase your latex seals
Suppler: Excellent, we would like to sell in NZ as I hear there are tons of divers.
DD: yes per capita we have the highest diving population in the world (said with a proud tone)
Supplier: Great, how many seals do you require (thinking 10,000 - 20,000, after all you have the highest per capita of divers in the world !!)
DD: Can we have 100 pairs of wrists and 100 necks seal please (better get half a years supply, keep the freight down and the dollar is good this week...might not be next week)
Supplier: Oh........ so you are the size of one small shop in the UK or the USA?
DD: Yep about the total population of Sydney, but lots of sheep............
Supplier: We will put you on the dive shop rate as our minimum wholesale order is $5000
Where ever possible I research the price on the web and try and match that in NZ, sometimes I can do that other times I don't have a show, it just depends on how many hands it has had to go through to get to the consumer and the buy price of the item to start with.

I am will always try and do a deal for a diver and in the past have split payments for small items of work we have done for guys on this forum to spread it over a few pay days, sometimes (I would like to think/dream) it is not all about the $$ but also the service........anyone for 300 BAR fills?

I am happy to discuss the cost of stuff until we have so much global warming the world is flooded..............................
DiveDR

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:46 pm

DiveDR wrote:........anyone for 300 BAR fills?

Yes please.

Can I have that with EAN 40? :lol:
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:32 pm

DiveDR wrote:Excellent....Dry is the key, how it looks is less of an issue for a DIY job.

As for the price of kit in NZ this is often how the conversation goes........ (I have held of wading in on this popular topic, but it's a New Year so here goes)

DD: We would like to purchase your latex seals
Suppler: Excellent, we would like to sell in NZ as I hear there are tons of divers.
DD: yes per capita we have the highest diving population in the world (said with a proud tone)
Supplier: Great, how many seals do you require (thinking 10,000 - 20,000, after all you have the highest per capita of divers in the world !!)
DD: Can we have 100 pairs of wrists and 100 necks seal please (better get half a years supply, keep the freight down and the dollar is good this week...might not be next week)
Supplier: Oh........ so you are the size of one small shop in the UK or the USA?
DD: Yep about the total population of Sydney, but lots of sheep............
Supplier: We will put you on the dive shop rate as our minimum wholesale order is $5000
Where ever possible I research the price on the web and try and match that in NZ, sometimes I can do that other times I don't have a show, it just depends on how many hands it has had to go through to get to the consumer and the buy price of the item to start with.

I am will always try and do a deal for a diver and in the past have split payments for small items of work we have done for guys on this forum to spread it over a few pay days, sometimes (I would like to think/dream) it is not all about the $$ but also the service........anyone for 300 BAR fills?

I am happy to discuss the cost of stuff until we have so much global warming the world is flooded..............................

I too am reluctant wading into yet another argument over the pricing of gear in the LDS but in for a penny in for a pound..

You seem to have taken my comment to be perhaps aimed at you, it is not. I have found your pricing to be very reasonable and will avail myself of your service many times to come. I think the costing of services/charters here in NZ is pretty fair just not the hardware/software.

The nuts and bolts of diving is overpriced in most shops and fair in some. We are inexorably drawn into the global game and as such need to accept the changed paradigm.

I think the biggest problem, and this has no doubt been hashed out a few times, is the use of training as a method of getting gear out the door. Devalue one thing to push something with a higher margin.. It's gotta be a hard road to make folk see the real value of good training again..
Last edited by binklebonk on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
binklebonk

Postby binklebonk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Pete wrote:Personally, if I pay a bit more and have something that will do the job and keep NZ running then that is the price of being Kiwi.

Really? you think pecuniary patriotism is the answer? I would agree that with training and charters yes that is money well spent here in NZ as it must by necessity employ more people, but not equipment.

Last edited by binklebonk on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
binklebonk

Postby DiveDR » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:34 pm

I know it is not aimed at me BB, but that is one reason why I have not entered the discussion, it can often get too personal.

As one of the few sort of but not really/dive industry operations but not really a dive shop, I must say I sit there and watch the shops with all their training and "perceived" sales of mountains of gear to thousands of students and wonder why I am not doing the same........ but then I also know the reality of a 7 day operation, staff, rents, overheads etc and the joy all that brings... by the way I will be out of the office doing the RPNYC sailing regatta in Wellington on Friday and the weekend if any one is asking :D

300 BAR 40% may be on the way over winter as there are a few people asking.............
DiveDR

Postby binklebonk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Well heated debate from time to time but hopefully never personal. I really enjoy a good argument/debate but forums are, as we all know, a b!tch of a medium to do it in as intent and tone are so easily mistaken.

So it sounds to me like you have found your niche and something of a balance of effort to reward with your business, excellent I'm sure there'd be a much better situation if more strived for that. I think in the end it may be the cut throat nature of some players that is more to blame than anything else.. Bad apples and all that..
binklebonk

Postby binklebonk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:12 am

Pete wrote: If we bought all our kit from cheaper overseas shops and still demanded the underpriced courses in NZ, the shops would close and the pool of active divers would shrink dramatically. NZ as a market is just too small.

You assume the longterm demand would be for a continuation of underpriced courses. Why?

Once I had a taste of diving a course three times what I paid would not have put me off. I did a pretty cheap course, I think about $480 or so from memory, the fella I did OW with didn't try and push hard on gear and I respect him for that. I have heard way to many "instructors" bragging of how much crap they can load up on students to think it's not a devious system. How would someone with less than 4 hrs real dive time have a clue about what sort of gear they want to shell out big dollars on?

To be honest with you I think the amount of active divers (not sure what the definition of active should be) wouldn't really change. The amount of second hand, barely used, hastily purchased and quickly regretted gear on TM would take a tumble though... I'm not sure what the current retention rate of divers post OW is at the moment but historically I have heard it runs at less than 5%..
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:13 am

binklebonk wrote:I think the biggest problem, and this has no doubt been hashed out a few times, is the use of training as a method of getting gear out the door. Devalue one thing to push something with a higher margin.. It's gotta be a hard road to make folk see the real value of good training again..

Oh yes, tell me about it.......

binklebonk wrote:To be honest with you I think the amount of active divers (not sure what the definition of active should be) wouldn't really change. The amount of second hand, barely used, hastily purchased and quickly regretted gear on TM would take a tumble though... I'm not sure what the current retention rate of divers post OW is at the moment but historically I have heard it runs at less than 5%..

5% would not be far from the truth, though like all things "it depends". For example, I suspect that the retention rate of divers doing GUE Rec 1 is probably closer to 95%, and you'd get similar rates for things like the Scripps courses etc etc.

I've entered this debate many times on other forums, and have come to the conclusion that the more mainstream diver education is likely to cycle between diving being "too elite", followed by a trend to make it accessible to all.... then the reaction that it is "too watered down", make it tougher! Which then kicks off the cycle of it's "too elite"..... :?

I think there are many solutions to preventing this cycle, some of which result in a total lower number of divers, others may not.

At the end of the day, though, the agencies have got it right - both PADI and GUE (two extremely different agencies) present the "three Es", education, equipment and experiences. If you have a balance between those three then you have the potential to have a really healthy dive industry, put too much emphasis on any single one aspect and you are essentially creating a system that is much more dynamic (in a bad way), requiring more effort to keep on it's chosen path.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Andy
Serial Poster

Next

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits