I need a new dry suit

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Re: I need a new dry suit

Postby DiveDR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 pm

divergirl wrote:I have an oceandry bravo and it's my second bravo. I only replaced the first one as I wanted to get a custom made suit. I dealt with the guys at the factory directly they were really helpful and the suit fits me perfectly, they had heaps of options to upgrade the suit to the specs that suited me eg elbow patches for scuffing against rocks cray hunting. The suit is standing up to the knocks really well, as did my previous suit, and its comfortable and warm. Best of all they are new zealand made, would definately recommend them

I think you are the only person I know that has a dry one.
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby divergirl » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Really have not heard that from any other drysuit divers I know, I did some research before I got my 1st suit and they came highly recommended, I have quite a few friends that have had their suits for a long time and they are still looking in great condition I guess this also depends how well you look after your gear . Oceandry have a lifetime warranty on workmanship and gaurantee to keep you dry this was a big reason I went with them I could not find any one else with that kind of gaurantee
divergirl

Postby silent solutions » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:04 am

divergirl wrote:Really have not heard that from any other drysuit divers I know, I did some research before I got my 1st suit and they came highly recommended, I have quite a few friends that have had their suits for a long time and they are still looking in great condition I guess this also depends how well you look after your gear . Oceandry have a lifetime warranty on workmanship and gaurantee to keep you dry this was a big reason I went with them I could not find any one else with that kind of gaurantee

These would be the last suit I would recommend to any one I know.mine was utter rubbish went back twice to them for repair.i have the ability to pressure test suits here and I know the leaks were on a seam yet each time I was billed and told it was my fault.this was a few years ago now but a friend does drysuit repairs here and guess what the most common suit that comes through his door for repair is.i think you will find a lot of other manufacturers offer the same warranty that you mention.
silent solutions

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:55 am

I think this conversation could rapidly get into a Ford/Holden type argument. For every person with a positive story about a brand or model there will be one with a negative experience. Having first declared absolutely no connection or interest in OceanDry other than they made the first suit I bought in New Zealand which is actually dry and warm my question would be, if they are so bad then why are they still in business? Surely if their suits were so poorly made noone would use them? NZ is a relatively small country, the diving community by definition is therefore not large. The various dealers/shop owners are probably only separated by one or two degrees at most, its not in their interests to promote crap, they would talk to each other surely about poor quality gear like that? I do not doubt anyone's experience here, whether good or bad, but those experiences cannot surely describe the entire picture?

I think the questions therefore for someone buying a new drysuit would be:
1 what kind of diving they will be doing?
2 how much diving they will be doing in that suit?
3 what is their budget?
When looking to replace my leaking Scubapro suit I considered the new Waterproof models. They ticked all the boxes except budget, that would have been blown out of the water and into the immediately adjacent universe. Next option, OceanDry Freedom, guess which suit hangs in my garage?
Ulsterkiwi

Postby binklebonk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:46 pm

<edit: To remove post in support of spamming drysuit manufacturer>
Last edited by binklebonk on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
binklebonk

Postby divergirl » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:07 pm

Wise words ulster good advice. I believe oceandry have been in business for about 15years so yes they must be doing something right. I would also like to say that dive doc and silent solutions comments are a little irralevant as it seems to me they are just trying to bag out the competition, a little sad to resort to that.
divergirl

Postby silent solutions » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:42 pm

I am not in the dive industry and do not sell suits and have no vested interest in bagging others products just my experience of using them over the last twenty years.maybe you should clarify your position as well because you do seem to be a big flag flyer for dolphin?
silent solutions

Postby DiveDR » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Nice call SS, it is always interesting when you get a brand new user and their first post is exalting the praises of particular product.
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby binklebonk » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:05 am

I think we should be far more blunt when someone is being a shill. I hadn't noticed that "Divegirl" had so few posts.

Divegirl, if you have nothing to contribute but unpaid, unsolicited advertising you should be quiet until you do.
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Wow, we are a real suspicious bunch this week. Personally I blame the chemtrails. :shock:

Divergirl, do you have any connection to the industry? No issue if you do. It ust pays to be upfront.
ChuckyBob

Postby divepirate » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Thread has been noted,
No warning to be issued at this stage, however as an importer who has the ability to import a specific brand of suit, I would also note:
I have had a suit made by Dolphin products in warkworth and although it kept me 'reasonably' dry, it isnt my first choice for a replacement suit.

Most manufacturers offer similar warranties, and some I have seen offer superior construction.

Dive girl, rather than 'bag the competition', I would recommend (if you are in the industry) selling on the good points rather than the faults in others.
The dive industry is far too full of people pointing the fingers at others saying its nots safe, it's no good etc etc.
Best to focus on the merits of you than point out the flaws in others.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 pm

divepirate wrote:
Dive girl, rather than 'bag the competition', I would recommend (if you are in the industry) selling on the good points rather than the faults in others.

To be fair I think that is exactly what she has done. I have not seen any post where she has "bagged the competition".
ChuckyBob

Postby aquakiwi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:48 pm

Well I've had no trouble with my Dolphin, done several hundred dives with it now. So much negativity on this forum.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Previous

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits