I need a new dry suit

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

I need a new dry suit

Postby MikeS » Thu May 05, 2011 4:51 pm

I have received the diagnosis. My dry suit has succombed to a terminal illness. What are people diving in? Can't afford DUI. Currently thinking about Otter Brittanic, Santi, and Viking. All round about the same price. Anyone recommend one brand particularly and if so why? Any other recommednations? Cheers.
MikeS

Re: I need a new dry suit

Postby binklebonk » Thu May 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Well I have a Bare HD trilam.

It's a good suit (there are a few annoyances) but if you had to pay the absurd price that the importer is asking now IMHO it's not worth it. When Pete Mesley was selling them they were good value.

This is the line Pete is doing now and from what I've seen they are very good value http://www.drysuitsdirect.net/

Do you know what type of suit you want?
binklebonk

Postby MikeS » Thu May 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks BB
I am after trilam with front entry. Will definitely follow up the Pete Mesley option.
MikeS

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu May 05, 2011 8:26 pm

I have a Britannic ( Pete M's old suit )0 and once I got rid of the leaks it was a great suit EDIT: Actually it was one leak that took me a while to find :oops:

. The Bares also seem like a great option.

2 other options.
Dive Doctor does 2 types of dry suit. Trilam and neoprene. And of course after sales service is pretty good.

http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/SeaskinNovaDS.html Seal Skin do a membrane suit for 444 GBP made to measure!!!!!! Sure pockets and P valve cost a little more but stil 444gbp is going to be hard to beat.
Last edited by ChuckyBob on Sat May 07, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Thu May 05, 2011 11:10 pm

The SeaSkins are very good suits, I know a number of people who have them. But my biggest worry would be after sales service.

My Bare trilam is excellent, but has been replaced three times...... well, it's been replaced once - but twice the wrong suit was sent by Bare so had to be returned. I'd be really dubious of buying a suit from overseas for that reason alone. I bought my Bare suit from Pete Mes, but Aquanaut honoured the purchase and footed the bill for the various wrong suits being sent to NZ. It didn't cost me a penny. Maybe an online suit is cheap enough that you can afford to pay the to and fro shipping, but personally I prefer the security of knowing that someone else has to foot the bill.

It's a bit like regs. I know that some shops stock regs that are cheaper to replace than to service!!!

In terms of value for money, it's a close call between the suits that Pete Mes currently sells (the DSD T100 at $2500) and those sold by the DiveDR (the TEK 2000) at $1999. I haven't fingered the cloth of a TEK 2000, but the missus has a T100 from Pete and is happy with it. You're more than welcome to take a look at hers, Mike.

Though of course I think the Viking-Pro would probably suit you best....

....or the Viking Pro 1500

Andy
Serial Poster

Postby GoatFish » Fri May 06, 2011 8:01 am

Are there any benefits in having a trilam over compressed neo? Or is it simply preference or type of diving? I am a complete newb when it comes to drysuits, but hope to get one next year...
You have been touched by the Goat....
GoatFish

Postby binklebonk » Fri May 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Well this is my take on Tri-lam/neo benefits/drawbacks

Weight of a Trilam is less, dries quicker, has less inherent bouyancy and no compression at depth, it has a wider range of temps it can be dived in as you can just wear less in warmer water and more in colder...

Neo is more flexible so fit is less critical and has less requirement of undergarment to supply warmth to a point, obviously if your going deep the neo will compress and you'll get cold if you have next to no undergarments.

I think the tirlam lasts longer but I'm not sure....

I know nothing really about compressed neo.
binklebonk

Postby binklebonk » Fri May 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Andy wrote:

This reminds me of the costumes that the Guild navigator attendants wore in Dune..

Or some sort of sci-fi future abattoir worker.....
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Sat May 07, 2011 3:38 pm

GoatFish wrote:Are there any benefits in having a trilam over compressed neo? Or is it simply preference or type of diving? I am a complete newb when it comes to drysuits, but hope to get one next year...

Rob pretty much got it spot on in terms of the various materials.

You need to be careful about choosing a neoprene suit.... not all neoprenes are made equal! Straight neoprene would be a disaster, I think.... though for shallowish dives you'd probably not notice it too much.

There is a huge difference between compressed neoprene and crushed neoprene. The former still has some bubbles in it and will still compress at depth, not as much as straight neoprene. Again, this probably wouldn't bother the majority of divers. Crushed neoprene is a different beast entirely, having virtually no gas bubbles in it at all. Buoyancy wise, it barely changes at all with increasing pressure.

Crushed neoprene is less common (DUI and Bare, mainly) and more expensive than compressed.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby GoatFish » Mon May 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Righto - thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated...
You have been touched by the Goat....
GoatFish

Postby DiveDR » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:12 pm

Like the guys above said there are many different qualities of Drysuit.

You need to remember that unlike a regulator for example which there can be some "opinion" as to what breaths well a Drysuit that is not dry...well it is not dry.(full stop) in my opinion this is really a product that you get what you pay for in most cases.

As has been mentioned a trilam gives you the benefit of matching the duration and the tempeture of the dive to the under garments. I find a neoprene suit to be great for recreational diving in the north.

Ask around and and read online, here are some really poor wet drysuits out here that you don't want to go near.
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:36 pm

I have had Oceanic and Scubapro neoprene suits, waste of time.
I have an OceanDry Freedom now which is front entry. Very comfie, warmer than the other two (as other posters have said not all neoprenes are the same) and feels much tougher. Proof will be in the pudding I guess.

The wife tried a scubapro neoprene and didnt like it. She has an Otter trilam front entry and loves it. The choice of undergarment can make or break the trilam. The otter commercial one tended to compress at depth meaning she got cold and had to carry a lot of weight to compensate for the extra air in the suit to stop the compression. She now uses Fourth Element Halo undergarment and I have actually had her say she is a bit too warm but she denies this, the other plus is she was able to drop some weight as this undergarment is designed to NOT compress.

take a look at the Otters :-)
Ulsterkiwi

Postby Ali Perkins » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:54 am

I am currently exposed to a very tiny subset of the world diving community (GUE cave divers). Without exception they are all wearing two brands of drysuit: Santi and DUI.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby silent solutions » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:31 pm

I have owned the following brand of suits dolphin,dui,gates,bare and now the fourth element argonaught.i am not sure if this is made by Santi.Although Not having the fourth element suit that long it would have to be the best suit I have owned so far.My only gripe would be the delivery time but I think Andrew at global dive has this sorted now.It seems to be holding up well to the abuse so far.
silent solutions

Postby divergirl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:58 pm

I have an oceandry bravo and it's my second bravo. I only replaced the first one as I wanted to get a custom made suit. I dealt with the guys at the factory directly they were really helpful and the suit fits me perfectly, they had heaps of options to upgrade the suit to the specs that suited me eg elbow patches for scuffing against rocks cray hunting. The suit is standing up to the knocks really well, as did my previous suit, and its comfortable and warm. Best of all they are new zealand made, would definately recommend them
divergirl

Next

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits