Wetsuit Pockets

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Wetsuit Pockets

Postby rambaldi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:56 pm

Going to be getting my first wetsuit soonish and I was thinking of getting some pockets put on at the same time. Any suggestions as to what size and closure (zip/Velcro) I should be looking at? In the past I have just used jacket style BCDs but will when I purchase my own go with BP/W (based on the diving I aspire to eventually get into) so have just used the pockets on those and am not really sure what I should go for.

Or am I better off with one of the alternatives such as TeK shorts or pockets for the waist band on my eventual BCD.

Thanks for any help :)
rambaldi

Re: Wetsuit Pockets

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:10 pm

personally, i like large pockets with velcro closure. large because you can never have too much space, my compact camera setup actually fits in to a pocket which is quite nice. zips are a bit more fiddly with gloved hands than velcro.

i think glued-on pockets are the best option, but obviously they aren't portable from one suit to another as with the other options. a cheap, quick and nasty solution that someone told me about was to wear normal cargo shorts over a wetsuit. it looks crap, but it works!
AndrewRawlingson

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:28 pm

I have the IST strap on pockets for use with my wetsuit. The pockets sit on the side which I like but they really lack in size.

My Drysuit has front mounted pockets of a generous size.

I'd recommend large or XL side mounted pockets with velcro. Having a loop of bungie fixed inside the pocket that you can pull out and clip items onto ( so they dont float away) is a must.
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Halcyon Explorer pockets, simply the best. They can be glued onto a wetsuit.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby MikeB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:08 pm

I presume you are talking about Sequel wetsuits?

If you are only going to be using the suit for diving in NZ (and not wanting to use it for snorkeling/freediving as well) then I would suggest that you get them to attach the pockets to the suit. As others have pointed out the Tek shorts are great, because of their versatility ie you can take them with you to some of the near by pacific islands. However if you will be using the suit in NZ 99% of the time, then get them permanently attached.

I have actually been meaning to get in touch with Sequel about making some shorts since Halcyon stopped making them. Perhaps we could join forces?

I would suggest getting Sequel to make a pocket similar to the halcyon ones. Or purchase a couple of Halcyon pockets and ask them to attach them to the suit. They really are the best pockets that I have seen.
MikeB

Postby rambaldi » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Yup, talking about Sequel.

Will be going over this week end to get a wetsuit and will have a chat to them about the possibility of making shorts. I don't really see me travelling to the islands or anything like that, that would require less than the normal wetsuit, so attached pockets it most likely is.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, really appreciate it.
rambaldi

Postby rambaldi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up going with out the pockets, and will sort something out later for shorts etc. I appreciate all the comments.
rambaldi

Postby DiveDR » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Are these Highland shorts any good?
About halfway down the page http://www.xsscuba.com/highland.html
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby divepirate » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Have a chat to Clinton at seaquel.
There isn't much they can't make mend or imagine.
While you are there check out the hood's they have made for the various competitions.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits