Chafing drysuit neck seal

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Chafing drysuit neck seal

Postby Ali Perkins » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am

Three days of diving in the ocean and my neck looks like this thanks to chafing from my drysuit latex neck seal. I don't have this problem in fresh water. I can be diving quite happily in a fresh water cave system, then slip down through a halocline into salt water and rapidly feel the chafing begin (I don't get wet inside my drysuit so the neck seal isn't leaking). I've had this problem to varying degrees over the last couple of years. Some neck seals it's not an issue, my current seal is the worst I've encountered (I'm getting about 6-8 months out of a neck seal as I'm diving quite a bit). Does anyone have any idea why this happens, or how to prevent it?
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Re: Chafing drysuit neck seal

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:27 am

my wife had the same issue with her Otter suit, we did 5 days last summer with 3-5 dives a day. It looked like huge hickies! :lol: She found vaseline the best thing. Pretty sure that wont be do too much good to the seals though. She reckons if you are done diving for a bit (a week maybe) then BioOil has some pretty good qualities. again not sure what this will do to the seals.

The other thing to consider is next time you replace the seal get silicone ones instead, they tend to be hypo-allergenic, actually form a better seal and are much kinder to skin. My wife has done research using a silicon based dressing for the prevention of skin damage from radiation treatment. Its amazing stuff!

...and yes, she is the brains of the outfit :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ulsterkiwi

Postby Ali Perkins » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:22 am

I understand petroleum products have the ability to break down latex so that rules out Vaseline. I don't need to be replacing my neck seal more often than I am!

Unfortunately I don't think I can currently get silicone neck seals done in Mexico.

But thanks for the suggestions.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:44 pm

You can get short and very thin neoprene sleeves for your neck that prevent this. They work brilliantly. I can't find a source right now but will let you know.
binklebonk

Postby binklebonk » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:53 pm

This is probably what I have seen used. They are great by most accounts.

http://www.leisurepro.com/m/Product/Det ... goryId=974
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Yeah, Kaz uses one. or used to. ask her for feedback.
ChuckyBob

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Now that you remind me I remember Kaz using something for her neck. Does anyone have an email address for her, and can PM it to me?

Unfortunately it does say this in the product description:

This product does contain oils which can cause early wear in latex type seals.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Well from what I have heard the early wear warning is oversold. Seems an ok tradeoff to me. But Kaz will have a much better idea.
binklebonk

Postby divepirate » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:54 am

I used to use 'priceless' silicon spray (comes in blue aerosol), to lube my seals on the drysuit, at keep them from premature splitting.
Some of the silicon sprays have a alcohol based propellant, which is not good for the seals (or the neoprene).
one of the guys I played underwater hockey with used to carry a tub of o-ring silicon for using on his mask for a similar reason.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby DiveDR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Ali,
I would not use anything near the seal in an aerosol, silicone or petroleum based as they will all speed up the decay of the seal. The Bio seal option is a good one or change out to the silicone seal system and then you can replace them yourself, given the amount of diving you are doing it would be well worth it. Cheers ant.
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits