Seaquel Semi-dry

Drysuits, semi-drysuits, wetsuits, undersuits, hoods...what do you want to know?

Seaquel Semi-dry

Postby mattjurd » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi all,

My partner and I are brand new to diving and just sorting out the basics of gear. Hoping for some advice about the Seaquel semi-dry wetsuits.

Seaquel seem to get pretty good reviews, Im just wondering if they really are as comfortable as something from a big manufacturer like Mares. Ive had a quick look at them but being new to the game don't really know what I should be looking for. I do know that I would rather pay for something decent that will last, and it needs to be warm, particularly for my partner who really feels the cold. As an aside I saw that the cost of a made to measure form Seaquel wasn't much more than their regular suits, so am thinking about going that route.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, in particular regarding whether the Seaquel quality will match the big overseas brands.

Cheers,

Matt
mattjurd

Re: Seaquel Semi-dry

Postby Ali Perkins » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:52 am

I have a custom made two piece 7mm Seaquel wetsuit and it is AWESOME! I too feel the cold, and with camera in hand for distraction and my Seaquel on, I happily did 80 minute dives in NZ in the middle of winter. I also have a Mares off the rack wetsuit. It is also a very nice suit, but I fit between sizes when I buy off the rack. So with the Mares suit I had the option of buying slightly too big and getting cold from water flushing through. Or buy too small and struggle into it, and be a bit restricted for movement but warmer. These days I dive dry...

My Seaquel suit has lasted very well. It was definitely money well spent.

I always found with a wetsuit that a comfortable fit across the shoulders is important. You want to be able to move your arms freely, but not get water flushing down the back of your neck. I always liked the two piece for the double thickness across the core for warmth. On a hot day you can shun the jacket when you're out of the water to keep cooler.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby mattjurd » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks for that Ali.

My partner has had the same problem with sizes, we just cant seem to find anything that fits without leaving loose areas, particularly behind her back. Seaquel recommended the one piece with a separate vest/hood which adds another 3mm to the core.

Sounds like Seaquel are the way to go, thanks for the advice.

Matt
mattjurd

Postby mattoau » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Waterporoof make some very good suits and that includes short/tall variations on most sizes, there is a good range to be seen at Global Dive. Also available are overvests, basically making a standard suit into a really warm 2 piece in a slightly different way to the standard long-john / jacket 2 piece.

Aqualung are bringing some relatively new wetsuits into the country, however according to Aqualung no ladies over the size of 14 want to dive, or Aqualung don't want and ladies size 16 or over to be seen in their gear. :roll:

Having said that Seaquel certainly know their business and are local too.
mattoau

Postby DiveDR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi Matt, we have both Seaquel suits and a couple of other big brands in store. A nice option would be to look at the suits side by side and be able to assess the features and benefits of several options. Cheers Anthony - Dive Doctor
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Return to Wetsuits & Drysuits