O2 fills (was how are you all going to dive RBs?)

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Postby Space Kat (=^.^=) » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:43 am

Andy wrote:
Space Kat (=^.^=) wrote:How much does an O2 SP application cost I wonder? I'd be tempted to take option 3 if it were economically viable but is it not perhaps the importers duty to do this since they could then cash in on it and market the tanks as > 40% O2 safe ??

I don't think so. If an importer brings in tanks, they have to be issued LAB numbers as opposed to SP numbers - and to get a LAB number, you need to destructively test a certain number of tanks.

I've been quoted in the past around $150-200 to get an SP number, though that may not apply to the current circumstance. That may have been to identify an imported tank that already has a LAB number.

I believe that there is scope to put through a number of tanks on a single SP number application, which would let us share costs if there was enough interest. There is a risk, of course, that we import a bunch of tanks and then don't get permanent gas traffic clearance for them in which case we're left with a bunch of unusable tanks.... :cry: :?

I'd like to express my interest in being happy to join that syndicate.

I guess the first trick will be to identify a suitable tank (which has been rated for permanent gas traffic in another country) to get tested here?

Is there such a beast?
Space Kat (=^.^=)

Postby petemes » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:55 am

Hybrid wrote:What power does ERMA have to enforce anything? what (if any) laws are being broken if you've got 02 at home and you're blending in your garage?

Hell, half of the ERMA Fillers ticket is what will happen to you if you dont comply. 1/2 mil fine or 6 months prison ( hell you could stick a screwdriver in someones chest in this country and get 200 hours community service and a suspended sentence - fill a tank and you get teh mighty wrath of Khan.

It isnt going to go away, if you chose option 5, hell they would then have to get someone in who REALLY didnt know what they were doing and charge $500 a pop!!!

Pete
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Hybrid » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:17 am

petemes wrote:
Hybrid wrote:What power does ERMA have to enforce anything? what (if any) laws are being broken if you've got 02 at home and you're blending in your garage?

Hell, half of the ERMA Fillers ticket is what will happen to you if you dont comply. 1/2 mil fine or 6 months prison ( hell you could stick a screwdriver in someones chest in this country and get 200 hours community service and a suspended sentence - fill a tank and you get teh mighty wrath of Khan.

It isnt going to go away, if you chose option 5, hell they would then have to get someone in who REALLY didnt know what they were doing and charge $500 a pop!!!

Pete

:shock: :shock: :shock: ok pretty bloody serious!
Hybrid

Postby Azza » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:19 am

Pete - is their any group or organisation in the country trying to get this issue solved? (I know it's like banging your head against a brick wall dealing with bureaucrats)
Azza

Postby petemes » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:45 am

Azza wrote:Pete - is their any group or organisation in the country trying to get this issue solved? (I know it's like banging your head against a brick wall dealing with bureaucrats)

HI Aaron,

Not really sure, I think that everyone has been keeping a real low key, If you dont ask questions then you cant be told no!!!! I think has been the addage. But very few people were partakng in these operations so now with increasing numbers, etc etc it really needs addressing.
But then instead of trying to write a new code adopt world standard code. But then you really need to be in the right circles as someone from the outside comes into the sanctum of government agencies you really are a nobody with no voice. It has to be dealt with properly. Hell I saw how these things worked and it scared teh bejesus out of me so I think that NZU would be the only people to get anything done, as they ARE the voice of the people. Only thing is that they are sooooo short staffed this is not what you would call high on the scale of urgency. Thats why I run surface supplied O2 on all my big trips. The tank is BOC's so no worries there!!!

Pete
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Hoppy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Id also point out that, in some ways, NZU are just as bad as the rest of the rest of them. As far as I can figure, they responsible for that daft 'ring of confidence', which only proves that the valve has actually been removed. In addition, they also appear to be responsible for the 'nitrox' sticker 'requirement'. As with most things, the reasoning behind the rules makes sense in some aspects, but it just doesnt cover the range of circumstances. Especially when you are trying to work a little outside their box.

I did hear some talk that they were changing the ROC to something a little more sensible. Dont know if it ever happened?

By the way, from what I recall the ROC doesnt get applied to hydro'd tanks, only visual'd tanks. One option is to use a Telarc testing station, which isnt involved in the ROC BS. Another is to hydro each time, rather than getting a visual.
Hoppy

Re: O2 fills (was how are you all going to dive RBs?)

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:56 pm

Just resurrecting this old thread.... looks like some of the issues with richer nitrox mixes may have been resolved.

The 'word on the street' is that any tank that has a current LAB number that allows nitrox 22-40% will be allowed to be filled with richer mixes, up to 100%.

The way I understand it, ERMA have made it clear a "nitrox LAB number" assumes that the filling method will be partial pressure, and therefore it is "safe" (and hence acceptable) to actually put pure oxygen into said tank.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Xman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:10 pm

Wow, common sense prevailing? Surely not?
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:22 pm

Strange, but true X!
Andy
Serial Poster

Previous

Return to Tanks