18L v Twins ...& a J-Valve

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Re: 18L v Twins ...& a J-Valve

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:24 am

Hoppy wrote:If you want some 15's, I have a couple here... and bands if you want to twin them as well :D
Twin15's arent light, especially when full of gas.

If you want to get rid of them, Hoppy, I know someone in the market for some second hand 15s.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby bigroy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi all , being a big lad{ 160kg } I dive an 18 litre {150} it weighs 21kg as compared to a 12l{100} normally weighing 14.5kg,So technically speaking I can carry a third more in gas quantity whilst not carrying anymore weight being that I can take 6 kilos of lead out of my integrated pouches for the difference in tank weight.Great for peace of mind and in out of air situations !!! I dont think I would want to carry 29 kilos in tank weight in twin 12l's considering that it would exceed the amount of lead left in my pouches to offset. Although in a decompression dive the twins are warranted
bigroy

Postby Xman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:13 pm

bigroy wrote:Hi all , being a big lad{ 160kg } I dive an 18 litre {150} it weighs 21kg as compared to a 12l{100} normally weighing 14.5kg,So technically speaking I can carry a third more in gas quantity whilst not carrying anymore weight being that I can take 6 kilos of lead out of my integrated pouches for the difference in tank weight.Great for peace of mind and in out of air situations !!! I dont think I would want to carry 29 kilos in tank weight in twin 12l's considering that it would exceed the amount of lead left in my pouches to offset. Although in a decompression dive the twins are warranted

Just because the cylinder weighs 6.5kg more full, that does not mean that you can safely remove 6.5kg of ballast weight. You need to also account for the buoyancy shift when you have used that air. Still, it will allow you to safely remove some weight from your belt.
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Previous

Return to Tanks