Small steel tank

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Small steel tank

Postby seynz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:37 pm

I am looking for a set of 2 steel tanks brand new or second hand ( hard to find on TM...)
Do you know a shop online who is selling that ? I just found small tank aloy or 12 liter steel, I would prefer to get 6 or 7 liters.
seynz

Re: Small steel tank

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:05 pm

The closest you'll get in NZ with a LAB number will be the Catalina 40 cu ft (5.7L). Most dive shops will be able to source these for you.

If you want 7L steel tanks, you'll have to import them. The ones that are most common are the Faber 7L, which quite a few have been brought in to the country. You will need to apply for an SP number for them if you want to be able to fill them.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby seynz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Andy wrote:The closest you'll get in NZ with a LAB number will be the Catalina 40 cu ft (5.7L)

Catalina ? Aren t they aluminium ?

Andy wrote:You will need to apply for an SP number for them if you want to be able to fill them.

I suppose, I will have to pay first customs tax, and after apply for a SP ( ? ) number, where can I do that, what s the cost ?
seynz

Postby binklebonk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:28 pm

seynz wrote:
Andy wrote:I suppose, I will have to pay first customs tax, and after apply for a SP ( ? ) number, where can I do that, what s the cost ?

There should be no customs tax as there is no industry in NZ making scuba cylinders.. You may get stung with GST if they're new.
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:06 pm

Yes, Catalina tanks are aluminium - but I find that they have a rather have base, so the buoyancy characteristics are not far away from what you would get with a steel.

The best person to talk to about applying for an SP number is Dave the Dive Doctor (www.thedivedoctor.co.nz) who regularly gets SP numbers for Faber 3L and 7L steel tanks.

Also, try contacting Andrew at Global Dive - I'm not sure if he still has them, but he imported some Faber 7Ls a while back and had a couple left over he was trying to sell. You can call Andrew on 09 920 5200.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby seynz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:26 pm

To get a SP number ( info Dive Doctor ), the cost is $150 per tank, except if they are the same. Plus $ 50 for an hydro or just a visual if the tank are less tand one year old. If you add the shipping from EU ( for me ) it cost a lot of money for the model of tanks you want...
I keep in touch with Andrew from Global dive to get some 7Ls Faber.
Thanks Andy for the informations :)
seynz

Postby binklebonk » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Ok I've asked it before, never had a decent answer so i'll try again..

What is it about NZ that means that a tank from say.. Europe or indeed almost anywhere else, while being considered perfectly safe in that country (and some of those countries have astonishingly stringent safety requirements) will suddenly become dangerous here if it doesn't have special numbers on it?

Do we have less forgiving physics here in NZ?

Is the air here less willing to be compressed?

Anyone??
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:18 pm

seynz wrote:I keep in touch with Andrew from Global dive to get some 7Ls Faber.
Thanks Andy for the informations :)

I spoke to him the other week, he may be able to rustle up two Faber 7s for you.

binklebonk wrote:What is it about NZ that means that a tank from say.. Europe or indeed almost anywhere else, while being considered perfectly safe in that country (and some of those countries have astonishingly stringent safety requirements) will suddenly become dangerous here if it doesn't have special numbers on it?

Why is it that the majority of the world doesn't drive on the correct side of the road? Why are speed limits in the US so slow in comparison with the UK, let along the German autobahn? Why can Australian permanent residents work legally in NZ, when NZ permanent residents can't work in Aus?

It's just one of them inexilciable phenoneomonemens, Bink.

As I understand it, ERMA does a "developed pressure" calculation - it takes into account the cylinder dimensions, material and the gas that goes into it. I don't know what the exact calculation (IF ONLY they would release it in some form so you could at least have some idea of whether a tank would pass before paying the $150!) but developed pressure is to do with changes in pressure in the tank when ambient temperature changes. I don't think that the physics is any different here, but the interpretation is.

LIke I say, I would love it if ERMA would just put a web page up and you could type in relevant numbers and click enter - and it give you an indicative result of applying for an SP number. I want to import a whole bunch of Luxfer 40 cu ft cylinders - the ones that were made in the US used to get a LAB number, the ones now made in Aussie don't. But i've been told that they won't get an SP number for >40% nitrox.

Hopefully, things will change in the near future as the whole LAB/SP/nitrox/oxygen thaaang is under review. Until then, please don't start driving on the right! :lol:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks for that Andy, but surely there would have to be a much higher incidence of tanks exploding overseas to account for the special requirements here?? Ah well unanswerable I guess.. It would overly cynical of me to suggest money was the reason.. :wink:
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:04 pm

binklebonk wrote:Thanks for that Andy, but surely there would have to be a much higher incidence of tanks exploding overseas to account for the special requirements here?? Ah well unanswerable I guess.. It would overly cynical of me to suggest money was the reason.. :wink:

I'm not sure money, 'bink..... I think it's just civil servants being jobsworthy. Gawd bless the ministry for administrative affairs (search for "yes, minister" on youtube - classic British comedy!).

Personally, I can cope with "obeying the law". I wouldn't mind paying $150 if it was transparent and you could tell that a tank would pass the test/calculation in advance. There's just a certain lottery aspect to it - which sucks.
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Tanks