Pony Express...

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Pony Express...

Postby NEMES1S » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:45 pm

Well heres my latest aquisition,my new 30 cu ft Pony Bottle,thanks to Andy on here for the great deal.
Here is a pic with it with my 19 cu ft and then for size comparison with my 12ltr dumpy steel tank.
All rigged up and ready to roll.

NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: Pony Express...

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:41 pm

Is that DIR tank mesh or regular PADI tank mesh?
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:48 pm

Either way, it makes that tank look very very meshy..
:)
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:54 pm

Yeah I am not a fan of "Dumpys" in fishnets ha ha ha :D
NEMES1S

Postby justsimon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:40 am

Why did you get a bigger pony bottle?
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:55 am

justsimon wrote:Why did you get a bigger pony bottle?

Well to quote a certain "Mod" on here its "Fit for purpose" :lol:

Having recently been looking a lot closer at SAC rates and how depth and stress can sends them skyrocketing the 19cu ft would not last very long at depth (However the 19 cu ft is a great size for most dives), but I saw that Andy was selling a bigger one at a great price so snatched it.
Also its always comforting to have a buddy with a nice big bottle of gas should you have equipment failure or OOG,just come and fill up at Robs servo :D

And on a more serious note,I was recently at about 9m on a test dive on return from depth with a brand new set of regs and was enjoying what a supply of gas they were delivering...until I found myself OOG!!...well I thought I was as the breathing suddenly went from fine to extreemly laboured like when you are doing gas shutdown drills and suck a reg dry....

I was suddenly struck and looked to Paul and Pete my buddys and made for Petes octi as a checked my SPG,to my surprise I still had 80 bar of pressure in the tank and allthough extremely laboured I could still breathe!!
The shallower I got the easier it bacame to breathe so I thought I must be crazy and on the shore then asked Paul to have a breathe of the second stage and see if he noticed any difficulty and he said "Well just coming off the 'Breather,I dont really notice much difference"

Now I wont go into technical details I will let our man Binklebonk explain exactly why it happend,but in a nutshell it was a case of regulator failure and the reason that it was easy to breathe on the shore was because we were only in one atmosphere of pressure and at 9 we were close to 2 and if the tank pressure had of been lower deeper the regulator would have completely siezed!!! (Not good...not good at all).
NEMES1S

Postby justsimon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:55 am

Fair enough. That's an huge amount of air you're carrying now, twins and a monster pony.

are you going to keep the old pony?
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:02 am

NEMES1S wrote:Now I wont go into technical details I will let our man Binklebonk explain exactly why it happend,

As I didn't want to run the risk of voiding Nems "warranty" I couldn't establish the exact cause of the failure but just checking the IP (Intermediate pressure or the pressure of gas that is delivered by the 1st stage to the 2nd stage) revealed that things were not good.

The IP was creeping with no upper limit, I purged the reg before the IP reached 18bar to prevent damage to the IP gauge and hoses.

When the reg was breathed the IP dropped by almost 6 bar (which is an absurd drop). This was the reason for the laboured breath whilst submerged but not the cause.

So there are a few likely causes for this and I'll wait till Nem hears back from the supplier rather than speculating.

It is a very good example of why divers shouldn't be treated like children by the dive industry and be provided with the knowledge on how to check the "dive readiness" of their gear, these checks involve no disassembly or adjustment. Remember these regs of Nems were straight from a shop! For the cost of an IP gauge ($30) and the knowledge of what to look for Nem would not have had this unpleasant experience. (thankfully he was shallow, as depth would have exacerbated the problem and the reg most likely would've "locked" deeper than 20m, and thankfully he also had attentive buddies..)

Don't assume that handing money to someone guarantees they will do a good job!
Last edited by binklebonk on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 am

justsimon wrote:Fair enough. That's an huge amount of air you're carrying now, twins and a monster pony.

are you going to keep the old pony?

It will be completely situation and depth dependant as to what pony I would take, or even if I take one, and if I was on twins etc- as twins allready offer a from of redundancy being two completely isolateable units with seperate gas supply and regs.

I am pretty sure I will keep the 19cu ft for shore dives and travelling....I am 90% sure I will be taking this with me when I go in August to South Africa.

EDIT:
Cheers Bink' :D and yes,I am dissapointed that a company wouldnt check the regs as they left the factory.
NEMES1S

Postby justsimon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:07 am

I am pretty sure I will keep the 19cu ft for shore dives and travelling....I am 90% sure I will be taking this with me when I go in August to South Africa.

Bummer, I thought you'd say that. I could see a cheap pony for sale from a cash strapped dive addict traveller. :lol:
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby DiveDR » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:31 pm

When you find out the issue with them can you let me know the details so we can keep an eye out for this issue if we get any in for a service.

binklebonk wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:Now I wont go into technical details I will let our man Binklebonk explain exactly why it happend,

As I didn't want to run the risk of voiding Nems "warranty" I couldn't establish the exact cause of the failure but just checking the IP (Intermediate pressure or the pressure of gas that is delivered by the 1st stage to the 2nd stage) revealed that things were not good.

The IP was creeping with no upper limit, I purged the reg before the IP reached 18bar to prevent damage to the IP gauge and hoses.

When the reg was breathed the IP dropped by almost 6 bar (which is an absurd drop). This was the reason for the laboured breath whilst submerged but not the cause.

So there are a few likely causes for this and I'll wait till Nem hears back from the supplier rather than speculating.

It is a very good example of why divers shouldn't be treated like children by the dive industry and be provided with the knowledge on how to check the "dive readiness" of their gear, these checks involve no disassembly or adjustment. Remember these regs of Nems were straight from a shop! For the cost of an IP gauge ($30) and the knowledge of what to look for Nem would not have had this unpleasant experience. (thankfully he was shallow, as depth would have exacerbated the problem and the reg most likely would've "locked" deeper than 20m, and thankfully he also had attentive buddies..)

Don't assume that handing money to someone guarantees they will do a good job!
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:08 pm

DiveDR wrote:When you find out the issue with them can you let me know the details so we can keep an eye out for this issue if we get any in for a service.

Well you might find this hard to belive but I have just been in contact with the guy in Auckland and the Courier has "lost" the reg out of the box!!
Now the guy in Aucks is a very respectable and professional businessman so there is no question there,but THAT is the very last time I will ever use NZ Courier Post for anything,it appears the box has been cut open!!
The Octi made it there but the ~$1300.00 first and second stage in its box hasnt!!

I am dumbstruck,thankfully the unit appears to be insured so I will go there tomorrow and make a claim...unbelievable!!
NEMES1S

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Guttered!
Cameron_R

Postby binklebonk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Well some thieving prick is going to get a shock when they go and dive those aren't they.... But then they'll probably be sold to someone down at the pub.. :roll:

I was looking forward to finding out the cause.
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Man that sucks!
ChuckyBob

Next

Return to Tanks