The only twins I will get in bed...

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

The only twins I will get in bed...

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:27 pm

My new 12ltr twins.

Well my Mum and Dad were so proud that I had past the GUE test they went out and bought a tank each for me,how decent is that. :oops:
So here they are my lovely new 12ltr twins for training and getting myself up to scratch to go back to do some more challenging dives.
Very happy.. (The manifold is a Halcyon one as well and was sorted out at a virtual steal with the Halcyon bands from our very own Binklebonk cheers Rob).
Also the custom moulded tail weight was also done by Binklebonk using a bunch of weights I have found on various sea floors,including a little "H" shaped on from way back in the 1980s when I started,I used to use it as a stopper so the weights wouldnt slide off my old fluro orange weight belt...thought a bit of obsolete historical dive gear of mine could join me once again in my diving evolution... :D

Also heres the twins with a borrowed Doubles horese-shoe wing from Binks' partner Selina until I can rob a bank or wait at the back of the Halcyon lorry for stuff to fall off it,pity that truck doesnt drive around in NZ.. :P

And heres my twins with the set of twins that local dive shop owner Tomo from Dive HQ Petone very kindly lent me to practise my skills from the GUE course,its been really great to have so much support from Tomo and Claire in my madcap endeavours...secretly Tomo has an entire Halcyon B/P W doubles rig that he hides out the back of the shop... :D :D (you know you want to Tomo!!! :D )

NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: The only twins I will get in bed...

Postby Cameron_R » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:32 pm

Sweet set-up Nem.
As a guy who doesn't have access to his own ... I'm very jealous !
Cameron_R

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:04 am

Cameron_R wrote:As a guy who doesn't have access to his own ... I'm very jealous !

We've got spares kicking around if you ever need a set.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby justsimon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:43 am

Very nice.

"We'll find something
new to do now.
Here is lots of
new blue gue now.
New Gue. Blue Gue.
Gue. Gue.
Blue Goo. New Goo.
Gluey. Gluey."

Apologies to Dr Seuss.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby JohnSymons » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:53 am

Oooo, I like the intergrating the weights into the tail of the cylinder like that, then you really don't need any weight with doubles :D
JohnSymons

Postby binklebonk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:11 am

justsimon wrote:Very nice.

"We'll find something
new to do now.
Here is lots of
new blue gue now.
New Gue. Blue Gue.
Gue. Gue.
Blue Goo. New Goo.
Gluey. Gluey."

Apologies to Dr Seuss.

GOLD! :D
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:31 am

Congrats on your very own twin set Nem. I really like the 3 inch wide bands. They look so much stronger( and cooler) than the thinner set on the other doubles.

How much weight in the tail weight? I got about 2kgs in mine and it makes so much difference to my diving. I can get away without a weight belt when diving in summer but in winter I use about 3-4kgs to compensate for my thinsulate undergarment.
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:56 am

So what is retail on the H manifolds and bands? I sold em to Nem for $250 as that's what I got them for from the US for but how much are folk paying for them here?
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:10 am

binklebonk wrote:So what is retail on the H manifolds and bands? I sold em to Nem for $250 as that's what I got them for from the US for but how much are folk paying for them here?

Halcyon manifold and bands from the US for NZ$250? That's a fairly impressive price, Rob.

About the cheapest price you'll get on Halcyon gear online is from Extreme Exposure - they are right next door the Halcyon, and have the same owners....

Current EE prices for a Halcyon manilfold are US$279 and for bands are US$125 for bands. That's NZ$600 by todays exchange rate, excluding shipping and (potentially) GST.

How long ago did you buy them? 1984? :lol:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:15 am

Nah I got them about a year ago. The US was at about .80 at the time and I seized the chance to get alot of kit very cheaply.. From memory I got two sets of bands, wings and manifolds for about $900 NZD. :D

If you lurk long enough on some of the US boards you can still get fantastic deals.
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:22 am

binklebonk wrote:Nah I got them about a year ago. The US was at about .80 at the time and I seized the chance to get alot of kit very cheaply.. From memory I got two sets of bands, wings and manifolds for about $900 NZD. :D

Been a lot of water under the bridge in the last 12 months - pretty much all equipment manufacturers have put their prices up by around 20%, which has a big impact on what the consumer pays. And I doubt we'll see an exchange rate like that again for a while.

You got a very good deal, as did Rob.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DiveDR » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:11 pm

We have been getting some nice looking manifolds both 225 and 300 bar for aorund $400, only problem is they they don't have the H logo on them.
DiveDR

Postby Cameron_R » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Andy wrote:
Cameron_R wrote:As a guy who doesn't have access to his own ... I'm very jealous !

We've got spares kicking around if you ever need a set.

Thanks for the offer Andy, but the gear isn't the problem, it's the location. My twins are in Auckland and I'm in Wellington.
I shouldn't winge though. I seem to be making do just fine down here. I've used Binks' twins, tanks and weights from Pete, and tanks from Bec's. I've been picked up and driven all over town.
I'm doing just fine :mrgreen:
Cameron_R

Postby ChrisB » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:59 pm

Sweet rig Nem... wish i had such a good looking pair too
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:40 pm

DiveDR wrote:We have been getting some nice looking manifolds both 225 and 300 bar for aorund $400, only problem is they they don't have the H logo on them.

$400 is a fairly reasonable price to pay for a manifold, certainly in line with what I would expect to pay for Dive Rite etc. Halcyon did get a bad rep with the previous dealer in NZ, but the current importer has a much different pricing policy - I would expect a Halcyon manifold to be around that price point as well.

Did you really manage to land a manifold and a set of bands for NZ$250, 'bonk? It seems ludicrously cheap, maybe my perception is coloured by the exchange rate - but I hope that Rob buys you a couple of beers as well. :wink:
Andy
Serial Poster

Next

Return to Tanks