Luxfor 40cf tanks

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Luxfor 40cf tanks

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Global dive has sourced ( and now sold) 9 40cf (5.8L @ 207bar) tanks with LAB SP# for air, and EAN upto 100% O2.

These seemed to have sold out pretty quick compared to the Catalina 40cf tanks ( 5.76L @ 204 bar).

My question is why are the luxfors more sort after than the Catalina's?

Is it because the luxfors are lab'd for O2?
or is it because of buoyancy characteristics?
Asking the sales rep at global I was told the cat's are a little more negative. Although asking a long term user of a Cat 40cf tank I am told that it was a little bubbles( I typed a$$, why cant I say a s s ?) floaty when less than 100 bar filled.

So come on. I know at least 2 of the regular posters have brought the lux and another has brought a Cat. Why?
ChuckyBob

Re: Luxfor 40cf tanks

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:13 pm

I've bought three of the Luxfers from Global.

A couple of reasons:

1. Catalina paint jobs suck - they are easily damaged, and once you get a bit of salty water under the paint it starts to peel and bubble..... cosmetic, but ugly.

2. Catalina tanks are really tail heavy - cut one open sometime, the base of the tank is about 3" thick (ok, I exaggerate a bit). When empty they sit "ok" at that point, but when full they wallow around and get in the way.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:36 pm

I bought two cos all the cool kids were.. :D

Sorry Paul.. :P

I have never tried the cat bottles but have used the luxfers before and liked the way they slung and behaved so didn't see the point in trying anything else.
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:36 pm

I've also gotta say, big up to Andrew from Global Dive and Stacey and Tim from Aquanaut.

I've been looking in to bringing in some Luxfer 40s for a while, hoping to find the right price point that made it affordable.... funny, but after all the digging around, talking to ERMA (who wouldn't confirm whether a LAB SP number application would be successful, trying to jolly a few people into the idea....

Well, Andrew just made it happen - at zero risk, Four tanks ordered from Aquanaut, delivered, LAB SP numbers applied for.... with no commitment to buy until approved for >40%. And at a price that was actually less expensive that it was going to cost to ship some in.

So good a deal, I bought three! And gave 'bonk the headsup for another two. And sorted another two out for someone else.....

.... so I guess if anyone missed out, it's my fault. :lol:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Yeah I was impressed with the price. Global certainly made these tanks available at prices that are very competitive with international pricing. Nice one Andrew :wink:
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:32 pm

binklebonk wrote:Yeah I was impressed with the price. Global certainly made these tanks available at prices that are very competitive with international pricing. Nice one Andrew :wink:

I think the big question is whether we'll ever get any more....! Ah well, shouldn't be greedy.... :D
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ianskip » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:43 am

Andy wrote:1. Catalina paint jobs suck - they are easily damaged, and once you get a bit of salty water under the paint it starts to peel and bubble..... cosmetic, but ugly.

My experience with one of these Luxfer tanks is that the paint is crap. It blisters and then comes off in large flakes. Rinse them well, try not to scratch them, and cross your fingers.

The US Luxfer 40s are reputed to ride much better than Catalina 40s. They are certainly light in the tail.

Skip
ianskip
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:06 am

ianskip wrote:My experience with one of these Luxfer tanks is that the paint is crap. It blisters and then comes off in large flakes. Rinse them well, try not to scratch them, and cross your fingers.

If worse comes to worse, I'll do what I did with my old Catalina and strip the paint off.... thanks for the tip, Skip! Will definitely keep an eye on them.

This is quite a useful resource:

http://silentplanet.info/wordpress/ngga ... -25/images

Unfortunately some of the formatting seems to be off at the moment - each picture used to be labelled to tie it up to the data in the charts.

It shows different trim characteristics of different tanks, between steel and aluminium. All of the ali tanks are Luxfer. In my experience, Catalina tanks behave somewhere between a steel tank and a Luxfer, closer to the steel side.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:06 am

ianskip wrote:
Andy wrote:1. Catalina paint jobs suck - they are easily damaged, and once you get a bit of salty water under the paint it starts to peel and bubble..... cosmetic, but ugly.

My experience with one of these Luxfer tanks is that the paint is crap. It blisters and then comes off in large flakes. Rinse them well, try not to scratch them, and cross your fingers.

The US Luxfer 40s are reputed to ride much better than Catalina 40s. They are certainly light in the tail.

Skip

Which is light in the tail? The Lux of Cat? I am getting conflicting opinions on this.
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:40 am

ChuckyBob wrote:
Which is light in the tail? The Lux of Cat? I am getting conflicting opinions on this.

Catalina are heavy in the tail, Luxfers are lighter.

We can always get Phil's Catalina 40 and compare it to one of my Luxfers.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Phil says his Catalina gets a little floaty when its got less than 100 bar in it.
SO the Luxfer will be worse?
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:04 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:Phil says his Catalina gets a little floaty when its got less than 100 bar in it.
SO the Luxfer will be worse?

You have to define "worse".

Catalina buoyancy swings from -1.5lb to +1.4 lb, whereas Luxfers go from -0.7lb to +2.3lb (in salt water).

A full Catalina just hangs off you. A full Luxfer is already slightly tail up, so it's sits behind your arm and doesn't get in the way of anything.

When it's empty, the Luxfer is very light - but this may be an advantage to some. I certainly prefer the way they sit, both when full and near empty - they are just so much less obtrusive.

You can try one of mine sometime if you like.
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Tanks