Tank Test Dates

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Tank Test Dates

Postby MJLamb » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:39 pm

I have a steel tank with a Yellow neck tag, it has 11/09 on it, so does that mean I need it tested start of the month or end ? Thanks
MJLamb

Re: Tank Test Dates

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:08 pm

MJLamb wrote:I have a steel tank with a Yellow neck tag, it has 11/09 on it, so does that mean I need it tested start of the month or end ? Thanks

The date on the ring of confidence is the month the visual expires - so it's the end of the month.

But, you want to check the date of the hydro test that will be stamped on the tank. The hydro 'trumps' the visual, so if the hydro is more than 2 years then the tank is out of test.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Isnt the date on it the date the test was done?

So your tank has just been tested?

But then yellow is last year anyway.
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:29 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:Isnt the date on it the date the test was done?

Oops, yep. But the colour would be green if it was this year - so it's probably an 11/08 visual that would expire end of 11/09.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby MikeS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:41 pm

I had this discussion a few weeks ago with the place I get my tanks filled most often these days. The yellow ring had October on it, and they wouldn't fill the tank when I went in on the 2nd Oct without doing a visual first. The argument that it is still October until the 31st didn't hold water.
They reckon that the test date is for the protection of the guy filling the tank. If it was last tested on 1st Oct 2008 and not again until 31st Oct 2009, then that is 13 months between tests give or take a day.
I can see their point.
To keep a tank in test 100% of the time, it will always be the same month (will it not?)- visual one year and hydro the next. All that trying to hang out to the end of the month does is defer your cash flow for a week or two??
MikeS

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:44 pm

MikeS wrote:If it was last tested on 1st Oct 2008 and not again until 31st Oct 2009, then that is 13 months between tests give or take a day.

But if it was tested on the 31st October, and then they refuse to fill is on the first of October next year.,,, then it's been 11 months and you're being shortchanged!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Pete wrote:There is another proviso though isn't there? e.g. if you get your visual early in say November but the Hydro stamp was October then the hydro is due 2 years in October and they rightfully will not fill it in November? Pretty sure thats how it goes?

Yes, but the same goes for hydro dates - if it's stamped 11/07 when the does the hydro run out.... the end of October, or the end of November?

I've got all the HSNO stuff at work, so can check tomorrow what the actual law says. The shops I've mostly dealt with in the past have erred on the side of the customer, so you can get 13 months out of a visual and 25 months out of a hydro.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Or we could just take a big deep breath and accept that the requirements are excessive (unless you are going to plead for special laws of physics and chemistry in NZ) by comparison to many other countries that have admirable safety records.

Being over hydro or visual by one month is a neglible concern. If the shop is going to quibble over (at worst) 30 days then put up with it, accept they are paranoid or vote with ya feet.
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:08 pm

I agree BB.
Hydros are done every 5 years in the USA. The most litigating country in the world!!!
From what I understand steel tanks hardly ever fail hydros unless effected by rust which would be picked up in a viz.
So whats the point in a hydro every 2 years?

Also this BS eer I mean BULL SH!T about not filling a tank because its the 11.09 and the last test was on the 11.08. Its just a money grabbing exercise from dive shops who partake in the practice. Can a tank really be safe one month then unsafe the next??

One thing to keep in mind is if your tank is due for a vis you should check your hydro date. Some times it works out cheaper to do the hydro now ( even if not needed) than a viz now and a hydro in 6 months.
ChuckyBob

Postby aquakiwi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:18 pm

The date is supposed to be the date it was tested, eg a tank hydro tested early November 07 would be due for a visual by the end Nov 08 (the 31st). Hydro would be by 31st Nov 09. As Andy said a Hydro takes preference. This years colour is green and next year is................pink.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Return to Tanks