tanks inside bus/train

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

tanks inside bus/train

Postby Milky » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi all,

just wondering, do public buses and train in auckland region allow you to bring tank or tanks?

Thanks in advance.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Re: tanks inside bus/train

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:24 pm

A question best asked to the bus or train operators I think.
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Milky wrote:just wondering, do public buses and train in auckland region allow you to bring tank or tanks?

It begs the question, Milky...... why?

FWIW, I've taken 30 cu ft tanks on the train before, but they are small enough that they don't really attract attention. It's hardly a statement of whether you can, just that I didn't get caught if you can't....
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby guru » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 pm

I took half a fishing rod once.. in for repairs.
Don't see why they'd have a problem with tank. Maybe at peak hour they might.
Self confessed IT hack and genuine nutjob.
Wise words of Mr Miyagi: "Don't forget breathe..very important!"
guru

Postby Jason » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:39 pm

Remember reading of one dude who had to take his dive gear, via a trolley, upon a train many times to get to the coast without any problems (Instructor ed I think?). As long as it is neat and discreet - no probs I guess. Wether the same could be said in Auckland>? Just 'cover' it all so to speak or you might be speaking to many 'curious' people along the way too.
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Postby Michelle » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:16 pm

I've taken two 12 litre steel tanks on the bus from Auckland to Whangerei. The only 'restriction' that they made was that they were strapped together so they could be stowed in the luggage hold on their sides without rolling about. I did check before hand but they were pretty relaxed about it and had taken them before.
Michelle

Postby snirpy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:19 pm

i took a 19cuft on the train once , and they frowned at me, questioned me as to what was in it, told them it was a dive cynlinder but it was empty , and they eased off, if it had been full i may have been booted off..

even fullers dont like carrying full dive tanks. have had trouble with them too... generally i think because they are compreesed gas, they are dangerous goods,. and in public situatuion such as bus or trian, they are exercising caution just incase .... BANG!!!!!!!
snirpy

Postby binklebonk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:44 pm

snirpy wrote:even fullers dont like carrying full dive tanks. have had trouble with them too... generally i think because they are compreesed gas, they are dangerous goods,. and in public situatuion such as bus or trian, they are exercising caution just incase .... BANG!!!!!!!

Never had trouble with ferries just took 3 sets of twins, a couple of slings and 02 bottles across a week or so ago and not the slightest concern... Perhaps it's as much about how big a deal you make of it? I would say if you had a "is this ok" attitude then the default from anyone who really has no idea would naturally be no. Of course trying to take a tank into any area that is occupied is inconsiderate due to the tendency of tanks to be battering rams (of course the same has to be said of fellow passengers) in the event of collision or roll but the explosive potential of a tank considerately stowed is negligible IMHO. Unlike the many many litres of fuel in a very much less robust tank that we drag around with us whenever we drive .. :roll:
binklebonk

Postby Aquila » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:30 am

Read the condition on whatever website they have then take the tank along if it's not mentioned. When confronted about it tell them it's ok. Be confident and people won't tend to argue with you. Most people confronting you will have an opinion but ask them to show you documentation that it's not ok. By the time they find the paperwork which you already know doesn't exist (You checked already) You'll be at where ever you are going.
Aquila

Return to Tanks