old "72cf" steelies

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Re: old "72cf" steelies

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:25 am

Cameron_R wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:I tried to paint the face on one of mine black but the paint was off after one dive ha ha ha ha :D

Don't do that Nem! The yellow looks cool.
Leave it as is - if you leave in it's original state you might be able to sell them on Antiques Road Show in the next year or so

I actually have 3 faces for the Conshelf one good condition yellow face...(Featured) and one battered yellow front and the one I tried to paint black as it also wasn't in the best condition.

But yeah I agree the yellow face was exactly as it was when I owned mine so I have left it that way,and after the new yellow Octi was assimilated into my collection its two yellow regs so not a problem in fact they have quite grown on me ha ha :D

LOL I can see the Antiques Roadshow skit for the old regs... "Well what have we here..." :lol:
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:30 am

Get that plastic junk out of here! :twisted:

What you want is some nice shiny chrome regs like these Scuba Pro 109's which have been modified with G250 parts. They are probably 40 years old and I use them on all my OC dives.

The 1st stage is a SP MK5 SPEC. Its pretty much the predecessor of the MK25 but the SPEC option allows the ambient chamber to be filled with silicone for sealed cold water use. I cant get a DIN adaptor for it so I dont use it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChuckyBob

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:14 am

ChuckyBob wrote:Get that plastic junk out of here! :twisted:

What you want is some nice shiny chrome regs like these Scuba Pro 109's which have been modified with G250 parts. They are probably 40 years old and I use them on all my OC dives.

The 1st stage is a SP MK5 SPEC. Its pretty much the predecessor of the MK25 but the SPEC option allows the ambient chamber to be filled with silicone for sealed cold water use. I cant get a DIN adaptor for it so I dont use it.

Definitely cool regs there dude...I loved the old Chrome regs...apart from the likes of the Dacor Pacer even back in 87' that and the Aqualung SPIRO were regarded as the shit ones on the course.

I think those on the right are the same regs that John Lee used on the Cavern Course,and although they are nice enough regs I didn't find them to be a particularly nice breathe**,but hey if they are 40 years old they are amazing....

**That was buddy breathing of his octi while exiting a cave
NEMES1S

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 pm

John has "156's" which are balanced adjustable regs. Mine were just adjustable and with the G250 parts they are now balanced and adjustable.
So really Johns and mine are the same except his are newer and have a "splined" adjustment knob vs a knurled one found on the older ones and also his says "Balanced Adjustable" on the front plate.

As to Johns not breathing very well I can only assume they were de tuned. These share all the major parts with the G250's and G250Vs and as such should breath the same.

The Diaphragm is the same as is the orifice, seat, poppet, spring, balance chamber and design of the air barrel ( G250's are removable while 109/156's the barrel is brazed in place and is part of the body).
The main 2 differences is the metal vs plastic body and lack of VIVA on the 109/156's. When I started diving doubles I used S600's but soon sold them after trying G250's which I found a much nicer breathing reg. After trying upgraded 109's I soon switched to them instead for the benefits of a metal body.

Its actually surprising how little regulator technology has changed in the last 45 years.
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:39 pm

NEMES1S wrote:
**That was buddy breathing of his octi while exiting a cave

Off his octi or his primary? If it was his octi then I would say that it was detuned to reduce free flow. But then I would have thought you would be breathing off his long hose???
ChuckyBob

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:14 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:John has "156's" which are balanced adjustable regs. Mine were just adjustable and with the G250 parts they are now balanced and adjustable.
So really Johns and mine are the same except his are newer and have a "splined" adjustment knob vs a knurled one found on the older ones and also his says "Balanced Adjustable" on the front plate.

As to Johns not breathing very well I can only assume they were de tuned. These share all the major parts with the G250's and G250Vs and as such should breath the same.

The Diaphragm is the same as is the orifice, seat, poppet, spring, balance chamber and design of the air barrel ( G250's are removable while 109/156's the barrel is brazed in place and is part of the body).
The main 2 differences is the metal vs plastic body and lack of VIVA on the 109/156's. When I started diving doubles I used S600's but soon sold them after trying G250's which I found a much nicer breathing reg. After trying upgraded 109's I soon switched to them instead for the benefits of a metal body.

Its actually surprising how little regulator technology has changed in the last 45 years.

Yes I remember you telling me that the internals were the same before,I guess as you said they were perhaps de-tuned or in need of a good tune.
But there was a marked difference in the regs,I mentioned it to him as well and he didn't seem to notice...

I guess its what you are used to as well....
NEMES1S

Postby Jason » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:57 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:Get that plastic junk out of here!

:lol:

It would be nice to rock up to something like an Oztek'ish show that is focused upon old, antique, vintage and rare Dive gear, memorabilia.
I pretty sure though a lot more money will change hands through such an event than does at events showing the latest.
You would also see / meet a lot of divers who really do know their stuff.
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Previous

Return to Tanks