Tank Painting....

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Tank Painting....

Postby NEMES1S » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Hey guys I remember a thread on here where Chucky was talking about paint for tanks and what not to use etc but I cant find it so I am starting again.
I have a few scratches and places where rust is forming where my tanks were stamped after testing... :? :roll:

So I want to give them all a nice coat of paint to protect them,I want to repaint my twin 7s and my twin 12s...
Any suggestion on paint type and I am assuming we get it from marine supply shops...??

Also my alloy pony bottle could use some paint stripper to remove the yum yum yellow,its just started to bubble under the paint here and there,so better do that at the same time as the rest.

Any help appreciated...!!
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: Tank Painting....

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:22 pm

I'd take them to a panel beaters and get them to do all the hard work.

Main thing to avoid is any paint that requires to be cured using heat.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Its funny you should raise this point Nem. I have just returned from the hardware store with a tin of paint stripper for my brand new but very ugly 40cf tank.
First off I would not recommend painting a steel tank unless it really needs it. If its just a few small scratches just touch it up with some paint.
If you really feel the need to paint then understand you will not achieve a protection layer as good as Faber have done.
If your local tank tester is really bubbles then let him know what you are doing first and maybe take the tank to them so they can see tha there is nothing wrong with the integrity of the tank before you start. Some photos may also help for later.

Faber use a cold galv first coat from what I understand. You could just sand down the top coat and then apply a new coat on top or you could start a fresh and strip it down to bare metal. A layer or two of cold galv to start with then a few more layers of your preferred colour on top.

You will have to make sure you get all the old paint out of the spec stamps so when the new paint goes on the stampings can still be read. If they cant its a very good reason for a tank tester to fail the tank.
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:36 pm

Small can of polystripper { insert joke about a girl I knew called Polly} a brush and steelo. 1.5 hours later....

Much better!
ChuckyBob

Postby NEMES1S » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Wow Chucky thats impressive on the alloy tank...!!
I think I will leave the twins until they actually require it to be done as I also suspected that it would never be as good a job as the original....
Thanks for the advice though guys...!
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Yep, bare aluminium is the way to go!!
Got enough stripper to finish off my 30 cf tank too.
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:51 pm

I just brought a couple of 3L steelies in matt black.

Not such a fan of the colour I decided to repaint them. Since there was no rust or chips it was quite easy. just a scratch up with some 320 grit sand paper then a few coats of paint and a few more of clear.
Through my work I have access to about a dozen or more car colours most in metallic pearls.
I painted the first in Mazda Clearwater blue which is a silver with a touch of light blue.
The 2nd I painted in Ford Squeeze which is similar to a V can but lots of metallic pearls.
In the end I went for the Clearwater blue for both.
Unfortunately I got some Ford Velvet (which is sort of like a Cola colour with metallic pearls) today. It looks great and I may have to repaint!

If you see a car colour you like get the name of it and or paint code then go to a paint shop like "Colour Works" and get them to mix it up for you.
The Metallics cost about $45 per spray bomb which should be enough for a few full sized tanks. Dont forget a can of clear too ( and a zinc primer if you are going over bare steel).
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Cool.

I'll wait and see what the durability is like before I rush out and do it.
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:21 pm

C'mon Greg..... Image
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:50 pm

I dont this the images really do the colours justice.
But here ya go

Velvet. Less purple in the flesh.
Squeeze
Clearwater blue

and of course the finished product.

ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Tanks look good, it's a finish not disimilar to those galvanised OMS tanks?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:09 am

Similar I guess. More blue than the pic shows.
ChuckyBob

Return to Tanks