Pony Travel

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Pony Travel

Postby alijtaylor » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:53 am

I have finally taken the recommendation to invest in a pony seriously and am putting together a wee 19cft job to return to the Solomons with.

My question relates to traveling with it. I have read that you simply need to remove the valve but when I shipped my two 12l tanks across I needed to get them certified as clean (I think that was what the testing station needed to do) before the company would ship them. Anyway, can anyone comment on how easy it is to put your pony on a plane?

Thanks and happy new year everyone!

Alison
alijtaylor

Re: Pony Travel

Postby DiveDR » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:55 am

I have had no trouble, just take the valve out and pack it in your luggage.
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby NEMES1S » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:15 pm

When I have flown with my pony bottle Air NZ states that you have to visually show them the bottle is empty by physically opening the valve in front of them.
But some airlines may have different rules,ie: valve must be removed..
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Like Rob, with AirNZ I've never had a problem or needed to take the valve out. As long as the tank is empty, it's fine.

Other airlines may differ - best to check ahead, nothing worse than getting to the airport and finding that you don't have the right sized wrench to get the valve out!!!!!

I've only once had a jobsworth dive shop refuse to fill it from empty after putting it back together and insisting on a visual test. It may (or may not!) be worth investing in a small transfill whip - you can then partly fill the tank when you put it back together and no one ever need know it was empty.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby alijtaylor » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks all for your comments. I successfully flew Wellington to Honiara via Brisbane with Pacific Blue today - I had the valve out and am optomistic that Neil will fill it from empty with no hassles - it is pretty clearly new. The fact that we were an hour late because the pilot slept in is another matter!

Cheers and happy new year to everyone - Andy I have your pony rigging post printed off and have all the bits I think so am optomistic I should be able to make it all work..

Alison
alijtaylor

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:34 pm

alijtaylor wrote:Andy I have your pony rigging post printed off and have all the bits I think so am optomistic I should be able to make it all work..

If not, just give me a shout.... happy to talk you through it.
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Tanks