Who makes Prodive Cylinders?

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Who makes Prodive Cylinders?

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:44 am

Like these: http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/scuba-s ... 054787.htm

Are they just rebadged Fabers or does someone else make them. I can find very little information online. Thanks.
AndrewRawlingson

Re: Who makes Prodive Cylinders?

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:53 pm

The seller is Performance diver, bottom of Barrys Point Road Takapuna.

They are not Fabers but another largish steel tank manufacture whos name escapes me... probably Sea Hornet.

ProDive are one of NZ's largest importers/distributors/manufactures ( wetsuits in particular).

I think you will find these tanks are slightly thinner and taller than a faber. This could be considered a positive..... but if you want to twin them then bands and manifold are different from what you would use with Fabers.
ChuckyBob

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:03 pm

thanks bob. slimmer and taller is definitely good for me. any idea of weight versus fabers. heavier = better for me.

cheers
AndrewRawlingson

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:32 pm

I know a guy who has a set of twin white sea hornets. Not used in the last 2 years.

I think weight is about the same.

Now if you are looking for something heavier look out for "Mares" Asahi tanks. Come in 10.6 11.6 and 13.6 Litres @ 240 bar ( or something like that) sizes.
Personally I would choose those above anything else for singles, Maybe even for twins. Hard to find since not sold new here anymore but on Trademe.co.nz from time to time.
ChuckyBob

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 am

cheers, i'm after 2 x 15 litre steels for starters, more to follow :roll:
AndrewRawlingson

Postby seynz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:14 pm

There are 2 fabers 15 liters at the moment on TM if that interest you.
seynz

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:39 pm

cheers buddy, I have my eye on those.

i spoke to performance diver today. for the record, prodive cylinders are eurocylinders. euro 12s are much loved by the technical diving fraternity in the UK.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:51 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/scuba-s ... 016887.htm

I personally would prefer one of these to a 15L.

Those 2 15's are being sold by Performance Diver ( they use a couple of TM names). Probably used rental tanks I guess.
ChuckyBob

Postby MikeB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Yeah - the Pro-Dive "Smart Steels" are Eurosteel cylinders, made by ECS. I believe that the Sea Hornet cylinders are or were made by ECS (I think sea hornet has gone bust). The cylinders imported by Pro-Dive are only "approved for air use" as far as I'm aware. So if you are after Nitrox it will depend on the filler if they choose to do it or not. Welcome to our crazy gas rules!

Not many people are diving twin 15's here, we mostly dive 12's and take an extra bottom stage if the dive warrants it. As others have also said, fabers have been the choice of twin tanks for most of us. What sort of dives are you wanting them for? What is the rest of your team going to be diving?
MikeB

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:52 pm

MikeB wrote:Yeah - the Pro-Dive "Smart Steels" are Eurosteel cylinders, made by ECS. I believe that the Sea Hornet cylinders are or were made by ECS (I think sea hornet has gone bust). The cylinders imported by Pro-Dive are only "approved for air use" as far as I'm aware. So if you are after Nitrox it will depend on the filler if they choose to do it or not. Welcome to our crazy gas rules!

thanks, very useful info.

MikeB wrote:Not many people are diving twin 15's here, we mostly dive 12's and take an extra bottom stage if the dive warrants it. As others have also said, fabers have been the choice of twin tanks for most of us. What sort of dives are you wanting them for? What is the rest of your team going to be diving?

not wanting to twin up, just diving as a single 15L for recreational diving. no team, i usually dive solo :)
AndrewRawlingson

Postby MikeB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 pm

no team, i usually dive solo

Makes for lonely beers and sharn's post dive :o
MikeB

Return to Tanks