SCUBA Cylinder requirements, specifications and legislation.

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

SCUBA Cylinder requirements, specifications and legislation.

Postby PCoetzee » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi There.

I have a ton of cylinders in South Africa and need to know if it is worth bringing them to NZ or sell them before I immigrate.

I own 2 doubles sets as well as a number of single sport cylinders as well as multiple stage cylinders.

Must scuba valves have burst discs? many of mine don't.
Most of my cylinders have an M25 neck thread. Is that common in NZ? Do you use the 3/4 Inch neck threads?
Most of my cylinders are yellow and grey. Is the colour schemes enforced by law?

I am trying to decide if I should ship my cylinders to NZ or just sell them and buy 1 or 2 new sets in New Zealand upon arrival.

Regards
Pete
PCoetzee

Re: SCUBA Cylinder requirements, specifications and legislat

Postby rambaldi » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Most people say no to bringing in your own tanks as they will need to get Lab test numbers etc. There are a couple threads around like viewtopic.php?f=123&t=5167 and I seem to remember ones with more info. Basically it amounted to too hard to really be worth it unless you use some odd sized tanks (i.e. a breather).
rambaldi

Postby PCoetzee » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks Rambaldi.

I'm still interested in the legal requirements for having a cylinder filled at a local dive shop in NZ as I have a few cylinders that I wouldn't like to part with.

Colour schemes? typical neck threads? (Europe = M25, USA = 3/4 Inch)
Burst Discs, mandatory or not?

I will probably get rid of the bulk of them.
PCoetzee

Postby DiveDR » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi Pete,

We do a bunch of this sort of work for people.

M25 valves are available but 99% are 3/4'. all valves require burst disks and this is enforced - it is illegal to fill a cylinder with out one.
Regarding colors there is no legal requirement so anything goes. Correct labeling of gases is generally required - Nitrox, o2, trimix etc.

Generally there are only a limited size range of cylinders available in NZ - faber or Euro 8, 10,12,15 L all 232 bar. Ali 40, 80, 95 CF - Catalina and Luxfer.

So

If you have say twin 12L Fabers then leave them behind as new cylinders and valves are around $400ea

But

If you have 300 bar Cylinders or some stages that you like it is best to email me direct - info@divedoctor.co.nz and we can check out the options and costs involved wit bringing them out.

Cheers

Anthony.
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby PCoetzee » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:46 am

Thanks Anthony! Exactly what I needed to know...

:x Not too happy about replacing my cylinders though...
PCoetzee

Return to Tanks