Aeris Elite T3 Computer

Wrist, console...for recreational or technical diving. Questions and information.

Aeris Elite T3 Computer

Postby gingerninja » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:27 pm

Does anyone have one of these computers?

Anyone seen one or know anything about them?

Rodale's Scuba Labs found them quite good:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/divecom ... _computers

It is a wrist mounted wireless air integrated computer.

The price if I imported one into NZ would be about $1440 (including 1 transmitter, download cable, postage, GST). Don't know how much they would be in shops.

I might post on Scubaboard to see what the yanks think of it, but I thought I would get the kiwi opinion first.
Willie Apiata is the reason why Osama is hiding.
gingerninja

Postby plumb bob » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:13 pm

Account deactivated by administrator
plumb bob
Banned

Re: Aeris Elite T3 Computer

Postby Azza » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:44 pm

gingerninja wrote:Rodale's Scuba Labs found them quite good

Dont listen to Rodales...
I have a "source" on the inside/close to Rodales and apparently they are paid to present the "information" presented to them by the manufacturer...
So basically they could give 4 stars to a shit product.
Azza

Postby gingerninja » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:36 pm

yeah, I did notice they also advertise some manufacturer's on their website.

If only there was a Consumer magazine for divers!

Maybe I'll come up with the list of things I want in a computer and start a new post (but not now as I have to cook dinner).
gingerninja

Postby kamyk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:48 pm

I recommend u to get Uwatec Tec 2, i use it for a while and its awesome, do u really need a transmitter ?
kamyk

Postby Azza » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:14 am

gingerninja wrote:

There are;
http://www.scubadive.net.nz/bb/index.php
http://www.scubaboard.com
http://www.divematrix.com/forums.php
http://www.thedecostop.com

and many more :D

Some of these absolutely refuse to bow to pressure from the "industry" as well...one doesnt.
Azza

Postby gingerninja » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:07 am

Azza wrote:
gingerninja wrote:

There are;
http://www.scubadive.net.nz/bb/index.php
http://www.scubaboard.com
http://www.divematrix.com/forums.php
http://www.thedecostop.com

and many more :D

Some of these absolutely refuse to bow to pressure from the "industry" as well...one doesnt.

Yep the first one is great obviously.
I had a look at scubaboard briefly yesterday, and there are posts from lots of sellers, so its not completely independent.
If you don't count Rodales (which you suspect is biased), there is only subjective information, and no objective testing.

I haven't looked at the bottom two, but they are just forums.
gingerninja

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:56 am

gingerninja wrote:If you don't count Rodales (which you suspect is biased), there is only subjective information, and no objective testing.

There was a good article a few years back in one of the UK dive magazines, where they took a dozen computers strapped to a piece of wood on the same dive and took observations of things like NDL etc at various stages during the dive.

Even then, most opinions will be subjective - what I like will be different from what Azza likes. And even then, that's flexible.... I used to have a Mares M1, but hated the fact that you can only scroll through the logbook one way. I now use a VR3 which has the same "feature", but it really doesn't bother me because the rest of the features outweigh that one niggle.

To get some useful advice, I think you've got to wind it back to basics and define what it is you want from a computer... what kind of diving are you wanting to do, what's your budget etc.

Things I would look for in a computer these days...

1. A big screen with clear icons (eyesight failing as I get older)
2. A backlit display that you can set how long the light comes on for
3. Nitrox mode
4. Display of remaining bottom time not only as a number, but as a bar graph
5. Display of CNS% when in nitrox mode
6. An easy to use dive planning mode
7. A dive simulator mode
8. Altitude and/or conservatism control
9. Not overly conservative or some flexibility in controlling the deco model
10. Multiple gasses
11. Constant ascent rate

When I go through this list, there's only about three computer on the market to choose from.... which makes it easy. But if you can't be specific about what you want, then there's a huge array of computers out there. Best bet is to get hold of a few different types and try them out before you part with your $$$s.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby justsimon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:40 am

Andy: What's the advantage of having the remaining bottom time as a bar graph? Does it display a predictive depth vs time?

What are the three computers that meet your list?
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:20 pm

justsimon wrote:Andy: What's the advantage of having the remaining bottom time as a bar graph? Does it display a predictive depth vs time?

It just gives you some idea of how close you are to the limit.... a time display doesn't provide you with much information. The time display tells you how long you can stay at that depth without going into deco, the bar graph tells you whether the (theoretical) nitrogen in your body is close to the (theoretical) allowable amount.

The bar graph will change depending on your tissue loading and you can make your choice about whether to extend your stop to be more conservative. Even with a simple red, amber, green bar graph you can extend a stop to wait until you're (theoretical) nitrogen has dropped into the safe zone.

What are the three computers that meet your list?

VR3 and Suunto Vytec are the main two - I own one of each, and each have their merits. The third is the DiveRite Nitek He, which I've never used so can't comment.

There are a few others that would probably suit - Apeks Quantum (and it's clones), some of the other Suuntos and maybe some of the Cochrans. I choose the Vytec originally as I'd used other Suunto computers (a Mk I cobra) for a long time and find the interface intuitive and trust the model. VR3 because I know a lot of people who dive them and I value their opinions.

Just because these computers are the right ones for me, doesn't mean that they are the right ones for anyone else. Take away the need for multiple gasses, for example, and suddenly the field is wide open.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:27 pm

Andy wrote:
justsimon wrote:Andy: What's the advantage of having the remaining bottom time as a bar graph? Does it display a predictive depth vs time?

It just gives you some idea of how close you are to the limit.... a time display doesn't provide you with much information. The time display tells you how long you can stay at that depth without going into deco, the bar graph tells you whether the (theoretical) nitrogen in your body is close to the (theoretical) allowable amount.

The bar graph will change depending on your tissue loading and you can make your choice about whether to extend your stop to be more conservative. Even with a simple red, amber, green bar graph you can extend a stop to wait until you're (theoretical) nitrogen has dropped into the safe zone.

This didn't really come across as clear as it could.... I'll try again.

Imagine you've done a fairly deep, fairly long dive and have come up to your safety stop. You will have absorbed a lot of nitrogen in your body and potentially be quite close to the "allowable amount".

However, because you're shallow you could potentially stay at that depth for a long time without actually going into deco. Just because your computer is telling you that your current RBT is 50 minutes, does these mean it's perfectly safe to ascend?

99.99% of the time, it's probably fine. But the bar graph gives you the option to do a second check. If the bar graph is near it's limit (in the amber zone) it may be prudent to extend your safety stop until it drops further and is in the green.

Hopefully that's a bit more clear!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby justsimon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:35 pm

Crystal clear, thank you so very much.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:25 pm

http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/article ... +on+test...

this is the article Andy was referring to I think. They have quite a few good gear reviews there - worth checking out.
Probably the best dive club in the World... www.sods.co.nz
Buck Rogers

Postby dynamo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:31 pm

I bought the Oceanic equivalent the VT3.
I like it, at the time of purchase I was tempted to go down the Suunto line but since purchase have read lots of articles in regard to malfunctioning units. This seems to be a common theme with a lot of dive computers but be aware that not all are dealt with in a satisfactory manor.

the positives for my type of diving is:

Easy instant access on wrist.
Streamlining by the elimination of one hose when going thru kelp.
The ability to go into Freediving mode between dives.
User replaceable batteries.
Downloading dive details onto computer is great for post analysis.
Easy switchability between metric and imperial to sync in with other divers.
Audible and visual alarms for return time, time remaining, ascent rate, nitrogen levels, depth.
Liberal algorithms but user adjustable to add in conservative factor.
User defined time for light display.
Low cost, as part of package was $699USD.
Company reps are pro-active on Scubaboard forums addressing issues in a timely manor.

The negatives:
Bulkiness on the wrist when extracting crayfish.
Battery replacement is fiddly to get backplate to sit squarely.
Not all functions within "Oceanlog" dive log software work.
No simulator mode.
The audible alarm is not always heard thru hood.
Not available in NZ
Warranty issues have to be resolved thru overseas supplier.
dynamo

Postby Packhorse » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:09 pm

dynamo wrote:....The ability to go into Freediving mode between dives.

:shock:
I hope you mean in the days between dives not between dives on the same day.
Packhorse

Next

Return to Dive Computers